Nonusoutaboxus syndrome

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have a moderate case. I usually add a harness and will splash out on masks for markings etc. I rarely go for correction sets,exhausts, wheels etc but it has been known!!!!

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I think that for me it's money constraints I have bought HGW harnesses before, canopy masks once and one set of resin wheels. Other that that I do a little bit of scratch building. 

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You mean that a kit can be built OOB ?!?! LOL

OK I admit I think I have done one or two. Other than that just about every thing I have built has has some form of add on. From changing poorly moulded rails or frames with brass rod, to the full blown there is a bit of the original kit in there somewhere....

Some old kits do well from a cockpit or even just a bang seat and harness, which are things that are often badly missing any detail.

I have done a few conversions along the way as well, (some of which can now be bought as a kit now!) But as for buying a resin add on set just because the kit has seven rivets and the real thing had five or eight.............nope- 

Still kits are getting better and the detail is right up there where it should be so the new tool kits get the minimal add ons.

So that would be a yes. :smiling3:

Dustbin

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I think if the the kit warrants aftermarket add-ons (resin tracks for the older WW1 tanks in1/35) then I will go ahead and purchase them but I find more pleasure in scratchbuilding parts than I do in bending fiddly bits of brass. But a lot will depend on the persons desire for true accuracy and how far they are willing to go to achieve it. 3D printing is going to have a serious impact on the aftermarket producers though I reckon !  For me the base kitcomes OOB and then I take it from there :$

First Name
Peter
I can't remember when was the last time I made something OOB. I find greatest joy in thinking how to do something undoable rather than just following instructions...  9_9

0ne48thtel

yep I suffer from this too can't resist adding bits either aftermarket or scratched not necessarily for accuracy more for the over all look of the completed build. it could be the addition of a few boxes or camo nets or spent shells or even helmet and weapon straps. If it adds to the over all look then if I can I will I think it is down to the individual modellers personal take on there their subject. I don't build for the rivet counters but for myself if I am happy with my builds that is all that matters. That said it is nice to have feed back good or bad from fellow modellers as I think it helps to improve skill sets.

A

Ace

Most of my kits (AMT automobiles) don't have an aftermarket kit to mess about with. It is the missing bits like spark plug wires that I feel so compelled to add. I know from experience what omissions are gonna bother me later. However, can stop adding extra parts any time I want to!!!??!!!

Last edited: