North American RAF Mustang III 1/48 Tamiya

T

treyzx10r

Getting a North American thing going on , after the AT-6 this seemed a natural choice! Going to go with s/n FB387, of No. 315 Sqn (Polish), flown by Captain Eugeniuz Horbaczewski, a 16.5-kill Ace (including 11 previous kills in Spitfires, and four "Diver" (V-1) kills).

On 18 August 1944 while leading 315 Sqn, CPT Horbaczewski and 315 Sqn bounced 60+ Fw190s taking off and landing at Beauvais Airfield in occupied France during a Fighter Sweep. The squadron knocked down 16 Fw 190s in 15 minutes, including three 190s falling to Horbaczewski's guns. Unfortunely, he was shot down and KIA .

I did'nt have the correct color for the interior on hand so I mixed some O.D. Green with some flat Blue and a touch of yellow. Hard to tell from the pics but I think I got it close?

This kit has been out for some time now and there are lots of reviews on it. The major complaint I've read is about the cockpit floor being incorrect,as its not really going to be easy to see it I'n not overly concerned about that. The one thing everyone seems to agree on is how wonderful the fit is,and after dry fitting the major bits together that is spot on! I might try to find some a/m decals ,going to test out a section I'm not going to use to see how it lays down.

P

Polux

Interesting one Trey!!!

I like it ;) what kind of camouflage it has? Looks a Spit one... O_o

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wonderful start Trey. Yes, there are few P-51 kits that have the correct floor, it was wooden and had a grip coating on it. Your pilot hides the floor anyway by the looks of him.

T

treyzx10r

Polux thanks,you bring up a good question about the cammo. From what I've been able to find out the ones bound for England were painted stateside. Once across the pond they were then repainted. This is where it goes hazy,nothing I can find states if the whole cammo scheme was completely painted over or just some of it? If anybody can clear this up it would be a huge help! Dark Green /Ocean grey on the tops and medium sea grey on the bottom. Some speculate that the top surface had only one color repainted?

Paul ,Terry, Jason thank you!

Joe thanks , and yes thankfully the Pilot will hide the bulk of the floor.

Small update drilled out the lower cowling vent

Fuse halves and wings just fell into place,no filler and thats killer!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I've only seen P-51 RAF schemes in standard British colours Trey. They may well have been painted in RAF colours at the factory for the British order (or as you say repainted in the UK). If they were sent to Britain in standard USAAF colours the underside would have been neutral grey instead of Light Sea Grey. I've not seen Ocean Grey with Olive Drab. So I'd go with the standard British paints.

P

Polux

Looking very good so far!

To drilled out the lower cowling vent is a nice detail ;)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real looks good the work on the interior, and coming along nicely :rolleyes:

T

treyzx10r

Joe thanks,I think you're approach with a standard RAF cammo will be what I go with. Some info I gathered suggested that the RAF scheme was painted stateside but the colors were not correct so only the grey was repainted and the od green left alone, Only black and white pics of the subject exist so its pure conjecture.

Polux thanx ,was hesistant to do it but glad I did.

Ian,Monica thank you both!

I finally got up the nerve to chop up a canopy,figured worse case I could order a/m if I botched it

Masked up the canopy frames and got them installed

C

Caledonia

That looks a very detailed Pilot and Cockpit Trey. Makes your eyes water at 1/48, great work. Cheers Derek

T

treyzx10r

Derek thank you kindly! Patrick I hate canopy masking almost as much as rescribing panel lines,thanks for the kind words.

Not much to update been a busy last few days . I did manage to get some color on and after it dries overnight I can start masking.

First Name
Dave
This ones progressing well.I will have to give this preshading another go. I have trouble painting straight lines though.Even when I'm sober!.