North American RAF Mustang III 1/48 Tamiya

T

treyzx10r

Polux ,Ian thank you both !

Dave that may be were you're going wrong ,I always have a pint or 2,3 errr 4 to steady up;

),thanks for the compliment!

Derek thanks, if you look back at some of my early attempts they are far from neat,lots of practice and I'm still working on getting it better!

Thanks Vaughan!

Well a solid day at the bench and I've managed to get some cammo down. I tried to mix my own color as I do'nt have RAF paints on hand. I looked at various pictures and even some color charts and after spending too much time mixing I went with what you see,not perfect but it will be okay on my shelf. I also tried a filter to tone down the color difference in the cammo,it did just that but I lost a little of the preshade .

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Trey

The camouflage looks great and the Mustang is really taking shape.

Not too long now to the finishing line, looking forward to it.

Cheers

P

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Paul ,its been one of the most relaxing builds I've done in a long time. Good Mojo booster for sure!

I wanted a good solid gloss base for the decals and to protect the finish from mistakes while weathering. To this end I broke out the automotive urethane.

This is a high solids clear so its needs to be reduced at least %50 to shoot tru an A/B. I also used the fast hardner ,this will cut down on it being a big sticky bug/dust catcher as the flash time is faster. You just have to be careful not to put it down too fast and leave a good 15 minutes between coats so it does'nt solvent blister.

The clear lays down very nicely thinned out so care must be taken not to get heavy handed with it or you run the risk of a big run or it gets too heavy and fills in the nice fine panel lines some master Craftsmen took the time to engrave in a mold!

D

dubster72

That's looking so sweet Trey & interesting to see the different products used as a gloss coat!

C

Caledonia

On the home straight now Trey, look forward to seeing the final masterpiece. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I quite fancy on of those now!

Great Work all round Trey.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Polux ,Patrick,Terry,Derek,Joe and Ian thanks very much for the positive comments.

I had the Decal session I would'nt wish on anyone yesterday. The a/m Techmond decals must have been on the shelf for a long time as they were very brittle and would fall apart with just a little prodding. Also the decal solvent took several applications and even then was not much help. I lost a section of the lettering codes and had to cut up the others on the sheet and patch the areas that dissentegrated. The bombs on the nose literally seperated into individual little single bombs and went willy nilly,I managed to save most of them and get them lined back up. The rondels are a mix of the Tamiya and at least these settled in decent. Very frustrating but it still came out passable. I got the wash down and its ready for some weathering now.

I made the band on the fuse too wide by 1mm or so and it threw the rest of the codes too far forward,totally my mistake I should have been more careful measuring and masking. Looking at it now unmasked with the decals down the white stripes are too wide as well,do'nt know were my head was!

Before I start weathering been taking a close look at the photos and to me it appears that the airframe has had a good cleaning up. I'm geussing for the photo session? There is really no exhaust soot at all just a slight 'stain' were it looks like it was scrubbed down pretty good. The side of the fuse under the Cockpit has some rather distinctive scuffing,staining and wear though. Wondering how much the underside got cleaned if at all,as a former Aircraft Mechanic that was a dreaded task in the best of conditions. I'm thinking since I'm posing it with the pilot in the Aircraft if I should add some slight exhaust stains and some subtle dirt and streaking as if returning from a mission? Any input would be greatly appreciated,cheers Trey

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Firstly great recovery on those decals Trey. I wouldn't have noticed the (very slight) decal misplacements if you hadn't said anything. I'd go for a light staining and streaking as you suggested, as RAF fighters were kept pretty clean. Maybe some light chipping in keeping with the reference photo, and some more around the wing panels etc where the aircraft has been serviced regularly. As for the underside, can't say, but I'd go for a few oil streaks and stains but keep it light as with the rest of it. Having cleaned my fair share of aeroplanes, I know what you mean about the undersides. A real ugly job at the best of times, but the RAF would have had guys on the job anyway I would think.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
All's looking you would have never of guessed that you had had any problems( have just started on my decals which have silvered badly despite the clear coats) it's really coming to life now.

T

treyzx10r

Joe thanks,appreciate the input and I decided to go with with some very subtle weathering.

Vaughan thanks as well and sorry to hear about your decal struggles,hope you get it sorted.

Weathered to a point that I'm sastified with ,hope its not too much,what do you all think?

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
most in-presage paint work on this one ,great job very well done ;)

D

Deleted member 3568

That's going to look totally awesome when finished great work, you are to critical on yourself, I wouldn't known anything about the white bands or the decals if you hadn't mentioned them. It still looks awesome to me.

First Name
Mike
Weathering looks spot-on to me Trey; it's subtle enough that you can only just see it. Beautiful looking build.

I had similar issues with some Techmod F-18 decals, almost had to use a stapler as a decal solvent.

P

Polux

Looks very fine to me! The chipping effect on the wing (under cockpit) is very realistic ;)

Excellent work!