Oh dear it's a 1/72 Bristol Beveldere

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,
To break the mojo I thought of trying a heli and a weird on at that. One of the earliest twin prop helis and an early Airfix kit too so it would be a challenge to give it a bit of respect.
I found out too that a great mojo catalyst was a cluttered workspace of around 12"x10". The cleared neat space I had earlier just didn't create mojo juice until it was clutered with stuff piled on and didn't bother to clear and when it got to this specific size hey presto it hit me. Immediately I searched for reference and found walk abouts in Britmodeler. Very helpful. So here goes...
The box top...
20230721_001613.jpgI've always wondered where the shape of the design came from?:thinking:
The kit features the early Mks and I had to make life easier by making the later production variant with the sliding doors and the continued slant of the tail plane. There's no interior of the cargo hold so I worked on it starting with bulkheads using the template from the cockpit bulkhead. Some fettling was needed to fit as the walls of the fuselage varied in thickness and labelled A and B.
20230729_152355.jpg
I marked where the bulkheads would be situated. I will have to do the interior frame work on the side that is visible. There is no reference on quilting which would have been easier to do with putty.
20230729_152400.jpg
The cargo door has some peculiar braces which I will remove. Making the slide carriage and door open is doable. The flooring was measured with the two halves together and a piece of plastic strip. I am in two mind whether to redo the four exhaust outlets or just thin out the exhausts.
20230729_152423.jpg
The challenge now is to do the slide carriage and window on the right side of the cockpit. Lucky for me the left side is a door as the bulge aft prevents it to be slid. The clear canopy comes in two halves. Pictures of it will come later as I figure out a way to do it.
Hope you guys come along for the ride with this ugly duckling. :tongue-out2:

Cheers,
Wabble

Attachments

• 20230729_152414.jpg
    20230729_152414.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 2

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Glutton for punishment springs to mind but I have every confidence in you Richard!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
on a par with most helicopters in my opinion…..they are all pretty utilitarian in appearance.
True, but there’s unassuming and there’s ugly :smiling3: Plenty of reasonably modern helicopter designs are quite good-looking, though, with streamlined fuselages etc.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I love a helicopter so I'll be hovering about on ye Magic Carpet.
Also have a vague recollection of making one of these when I twas a boy. May have been the flying banana!! It was so long ago now!!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you Gentlemen for looking in,
Go on then, I’m in Richard……be good to see what you make of this.
Tim, today I'm beginning to think I might have bitten off more than I can chew.
You do like a challenge Richard. Looks an interesting build which I'm sure you'll make a great job of.
I'm having second thoughts Jim.
I'm in too, if you don't mind, Richard.
No problem Andrea.
Here's another ugly duckling , HUP 2 Retriever, apparently; it must be of a similar vintage.

View attachment 487231
Seen in Long Beach aboard USS Iowa 2 weeks ago
Yikes, another tadpole.
They really didn’t stop and think, “let’s make the machine look attractive, too” back then, no.
Go forth and make ugly. :tears-of-joy:
Definitely a case of function over form...
Yes definitely Andy.
Richard,
I'm in mate looking forward to the changes you have planned.
Even if I try to make it simple it's my itchy fingers that dictates the plan Scottie.
Glutton for punishment springs to mind but I have every confidence in you Richard!!
You said it right Andrew but an evenings build is becoming a monster.
Philistines! How can you not see the beauty of this one at Hendon?
View attachment 487297
Pete
From that angle it just has that phallic look...eeeuuww.
Interesting history, thanks.
The Dachshund of the helicopter world :hungry:
That's a nicer way to look at it Mick.
I love a helicopter so I'll be hovering about on ye Magic Carpet.
Also have a vague recollection of making one of these when I twas a boy. May have been the flying banana!! It was so long ago now!!
The flying banana is another weird bird but iconic.

Thanks again guys so here's what I've been up to this weekend...
From references I detailed the cargo bay front bulkhead. Didn't know there was a passage way to the cockpit so there must have been a reason for the left bulge to accommodate the walkway forward past the engine.
20230730_173356.jpg
All I need now is to add the folded seat.
This is what I meant by having second thoughts...the interior framing mimics the exterior riveting and it has loads of rivets...
20230730_173330.jpg
I'm still chugging along wit just a few more strip to go.
Heres a shot with the bulkhead dry fitted...
20230730_173151.jpg
I have decided to redo the exhaust outlets and have a plan. That's all for now.

Cheers,
Wabble