Operation Supermarine Walrus

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Interesting question Dave. As it is a 1/72 think it will be to much (for me at least) to put turnbuckles on. What I hope to do, after experiment, is to place a small dot of super-glue on each attachment then build that up when fixing the rigging, Will be using that good old knicker elastic thread.On the Swordfish I found out from a mechanic on the Naval Westland Lynx, which landed on the grass by our flats, that the rigging actually consisted of galvanised steel oval rods. The curator at the Yeolvilton Naval Museum gave me details about one inch by three quarters. Not sure what the Walrus is. How to find out ? Let you know if I can get details. There is one in a museum over here. Will get in touch and try to get the info.

Laurie
What you are describing sounds like 'raf wires' (also used on the Gladiator).When I built a Roden 1/48 Sea Gladiator I tried using some oval plastic rod.Where they crossed I had to cut one and try to join them in an 'X'.Very fiddly and I couldn't get them lined up properly .I ended up using thick fishing line Instead.Not completely accurate but it did the job.

L

Laurie

On the 1/48 Swordfish Dave I used PE Eduard which at least in one dimensional direction the rigging was accurate.

Emailed Hendon pleading for information on the Walrus rigging.

Laurie

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent progress Laurie the prep looks very thorough and clean.

Cheers

P

L

Laurie

\ said:
Excellent progress Laurie the prep looks very thorough and clean.Cheers

P
Paul just love the caption."Remember boys" :rolleyes:

Laurie

C

Caledonia

Have you considered stretched sprue, seems ideal for your application, easy to fix as well. You can get photo etch turnbuckles which I think would look good at your scale. Great work so far Laurie. Derek

http://www.austinsms.org/article_seaman.php

or

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2004/october/new-releases/BB-turnbuckles.php

Last edited:
L

Laurie

\ said:
Have you considered stretched sprue, seems ideal for your application, easy to fix as well. You can get photo etch turnbuckles which I think would look good at your scale. Great work so far Laurie. Derekhttp://www.austinsms.org/article_seaman.php

or

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2004/october/new-releases/BB-turnbuckles.php
Thanks Derek will have a good look as those two.

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Laurie. Enjoying the progress reports.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Little bit further. Matter of interest. Decided to finish wings before putting together. Just hoping all goes well. But I could not see any other way and getting all the detailed work any other way.Laurie

View attachment 95925 View attachment 95926 View attachment 95927 View attachment 95928 View attachment 95929 View attachment 95930 View attachment 95931 View attachment 95924
Painting everything before final assembly is probably the best way to go with biplanes. What I find really difficult is attaching the rigging without damaging the paintwork.

L

Laurie

\ said:
What I find really difficult is attaching the rigging without damaging the paintwork.
That makes 2 of us Dave.

At the moment the thinking is to attach the rigging to the bottom wing before assembling the top wing. That way I hope, hope, to make a reasonable job. I think I will drill a hole squirt a bit of Super glue in the hole and thread in the rigging. Sounds good. :eek:

Laurie

D

Doug Hughes

I'm playing catch-up on this thread, but it's looking great so far. Thanks for sharing, Laurie - I'm learning lots! One question, though - what's blue liner? A quick Google says it's something to do with sticking wigs on?

L

Laurie

\ said:
I'm playing catch-up on this thread, but it's looking great so far. Thanks for sharing, Laurie - I'm learning lots! One question, though - what's blue liner? A quick Google says it's something to do with sticking wigs on?
Thanks Doug. Pleased I have helped. When I started 4 years or so ago found it difficult to get info on what to do. After saying that it took 6 months to find SMF. These are the way I do things there are plenty of others plus I change if I find better and refine or chuck out what works or does not.

Blue liner is a plastic liner used on cars to form masking for spraying lines and art work on car bodies.

Used it a few times now and found it great for masking. Not had any paint creep at all. Make sure that your paint is cured. Bit impatient on the sky colour above and took off a bit of paint.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3MTM-Fine-Line-Masking-Tape/dp/B00Q8VFQOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419247184&sr=8-1&keywords=3M%E2%84%A2+Fine+Line+Masking+Tape+Blue

Comes in about 4 widths.

Laurie

L

Laurie

\ said:
That's some nice camp painting there Laurie.scott
Pray explain yourself Scott :confused: At times (Pauline says all times and mostly more) I am a bit dim. :rolleyes:

Laurie