Overloon Military Museum

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Fantastic series of photos Allen.Thanks alot.
Jon.

P.S. In the UK a lot of us were brought up referring to the whole of the Netherlands as Holland and were never corrected!
What's the derivation of "Dutch"?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Allen

Thank you very much for sharing. That's a great selection of shots.. Although I've never been, I know their Valentine bridge layer very well as I'm using a walk around video for the one we're doing.

Thank you again.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
P.S. In the UK a lot of us were brought up referring to the whole of the Netherlands as Holland and were never corrected!
I know … :sad: To a good number of us who don’t live in Holland, but do live in other provinces of the Netherlands, it’s like saying “England” when you mean “Great Britain” or “the United Kingdom”.

What's the derivation of "Dutch"?
I did know why in English, “Dutch” is the adjective for “Netherlands”, but I don’t remember :sad: I do know it’s a cognate of archaic Dutch diets /dits/ and German deutsch, both of which essentially mean “of the people”. (Yes, “Deutschland” basically means “land of the people (who are us)”.)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank you Dude 1, it has something for every one . Liked the shops at the begining, and the railway gun stood out for me . Seemed a massive build, what scale was it , did you see .
Thank you for the photos at the end !;):smiling3::nerd:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Absolutely fantastic. The sheer variety on show is astounding. There can’t be many better military museums around. Can’t fault the tag line on the entrance sign either. War does belong in a museum, and nowhere else.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Let's hope they never feel the need to modernize it and engage the people who ruined the imperial war museum in London....
Heh … Partly, this is the modernization: until 20 years ago or so, off the top of my head, most of the exhibits were displayed outside, and most were wrecks even before having been left outside for 50 years. This is a good example of what it was like ca. the 1980s:

over014.jpg

(source, which has some examples of “then” and “now”.)

Much the same goes for the Panther, the Sherman Crab, the Nebelwerfer and even aircraft like the B-25 Mitchell. Pretty much all the damaged vehicles you can see inside the museum now (except the Nashorn — there’s a diorama in that video, if you ask me), used to be outside and were put on the museum grounds in the 1940s mostly because they were wrecked — leftovers from the battle of Overloon.

In 2006, the museum took over the collection of the former Marshall Museum, which meant expanding it gigantically to the building it’s in now. That collection consisted of vehicles and all kinds of other stuff, from WWII to the 1970s or so, all of which was displayed until most of the modern stuff was removed, apparently not long ago. And then there was the fuss about the museum selling off parts of its collection in order to raise funds, leading to things like Cookie (see the “source” link above) being sold to Italy where it was put on display as a war memorial to Canadian troops that liberated some town, when it was 1) of a type not used by the Canadians in Italy at all, 2) was actually used at Overloon, and 3) was in more or less historically correct markings when it was in the museum. Maybe the IWM got things wrong more badly, but the Overloon museum was probably also better ten years ago than it is now :sad:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Jim, Mark, Nick, Jon, Andrew, Neil and Tim - You are all most welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. It is a most fascinating place to visit with so much to see....Only wish I could have taken more, but the camera battery let me down.............

Jakko - Like Jon, I didn't know about the name and have taken note of it. I have also changed it in my opening of the thread. Interesting that the museum has gone through changes over the years. It was my first time there and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the inside info and what is the title of the radio book? Something about Portugal from 1933........

Mr. Smiff - When I saw the Harley, I had you in mind knowing you had a kit of it. A lot of folks builds on here came to mind as I was walking around taking the pics too.......

Dude 2 - I honestly didn't catch what scale the Dora was as it was immense. The figures are about the size of The GI Joe figures. I can only guess it was around 1/6 or a bit smaller. Oh, and I couldn't leave you hanging without a bit of 4BO, now could I???

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Jakko - Like Jon, I didn't know about the name and have taken note of it. I have also changed it in my opening of the thread.
:thumb2:

what is the title of the radio book? Something about Portugal from 1933........
What it says at the top of the page is Voorgeschiedenis en geschiedenis van de Portugeesche* Grondwet van 1933 which, loosely, translates as “Background* and history of the Portuguese Constitution of 1933”. Quite a good book if you can’t sleep, I would guess :smiling3:

* Old spelling; modern would be Portugese.
** Literally, Voorgeschiedenis would be “Pre-history” but that has a different connotation in English.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for the great photo show Allen.........verrrrrrry interrrrrrrressssssstink ;)

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wow, many changes since 2017 when I was there. Great photos Allen, thanks for sharing.