Paul's Trumpeter 1/32 Fairey Swordfish Mk.I

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Welcome to the party Paul. I've been looking forward to seeing this one built.
Thanks Colin. You know, I think I’m going to really enjoy this build. I’d like it to go well (obviously) but I’m also hoping to learn a few things along the way. It would be nice if this is also of interest to others.
Cheers
Paul

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nice one. I put the bigger full images in for you befor Boatman comes after you. lol.
MANY THANKS Ian yes them small thumbnails shots dont show to good on my p/c as they are blurred so Paul mate please show full size piccyies an this looks to be a cracker of a model keep the big pics comin cheers
ATB
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI again Paul yes its great to see some of you guys makin your models work as i think it brings the models to life an yes im also lookin forward to seein how you go about this as im very instrested when you guys start fittin in eletrics WOW well done sir for thinkin along these lines
ATB Paul
chrisb

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
HI again Paul yes its great to see some of you guys makin your models work as i think it brings the models to life an yes im also lookin forward to seein how you go about this as im very instrested when you guys start fittin in eletrics WOW well done sir for thinkin along these lines
ATB Paul
chrisb
Thank you Chris. I hope the build meets expectation!
All the best
Paul

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thank you Chris. I hope the build meets expectation!
All the best
Paul
IM sure it will Paul AS you are a very good moddeler as i remember that big panzer all motorized an it looked great fantastic modelin at its best sir
chrisb

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Ian

I managed to bag myself a couple of hours bench time today so I've made a bit more progress.
I've got the pilot in situ and added a few more bits of etch. The pilot actually fitted quite well. I did do some surgery to make his limbs reach the pedals and the joy stick but, straight out of the box, the ICM pilot was a pretty neat starting point.

IMG_2933.JPG
IMG_2935.JPG
IMG_2937.JPG
He obviously needs a bit of filler but I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. The ICM box shows the pilot giving a victory V sign but I've tried to pose him as though he's signalling something to the 2 guys behind him.
Well, that's my take on it anyway!

Cheers
Paul

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Great work so far. This is an excellent kit, one of Trumpy’s best. When I built mine I did one from Operation Fuller, the Channel Dash where a posthumous VC was won by the squadron commander. It was amazing what these aircraft achieved given they were already obsolete at the beginning of the war.

I look forward to following your build.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work so far. This is an excellent kit, one of Trumpy’s best. When I built mine I did one from Operation Fuller, the Channel Dash where a posthumous VC was won by the squadron commander. It was amazing what these aircraft achieved given they were already obsolete at the beginning of the war.

I look forward to following your build.
Thanks Barry. I’ll take a look at your build, it’s bound to be impressive. Is it on the forum?
It is amazing that obsolete biplanes did so much during the war - Taranto and Bismarck are very notable Milestones in WW2.

Cheers
Paul

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Barry. I’ll take a look at your build, it’s bound to be impressive. Is it on the forum?
It is amazing that obsolete biplanes did so much during the war - Taranto and Bismarck are very notable Milestones in WW2.

Cheers
Paul
The Swordfish apparently sunk more enemy shipping than any other allied aircraft……and could even be used as a dive bomber if required…..

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry

Cheers
Paul
It is Paul.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi guys
I've been doing a bit more test fitting of the pilot. He seems to fit ok apart from his left arm which I've shaved down a little. The folds in the fabric of his jacket etc will be remedied when I fill the joints in the limbs.
Here's the test fitting process...

IMG_2941.JPG
IMG_2943.JPG

Now I have a question for any Swordfish aficionados out there
Would the observer (when dropping a torpedo) always be lying down? Or can the torpedo be loosed without the need to use the instrument panel underneath the pilot? (green arrow). I ask this question so that I know how to amend/sculpt the Observer figure. I have consulted the WWW but can't seem to get an answer. I would preferably have him standing but if the only way to drop the torpedo is by using the IP indicated then this obviously can't happen.
Any advice would really help me out enormously.

Observer prone question copy.jpg

Cheers
Paul