Paul's Trumpeter 1/32 Fairey Swordfish Mk.I

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
In answer to my own question, it seems that the pilot could loose the torpedo by flipping a toggle switch to his right. If this is the case then I can confidently sculpt the observer standing. Post rationalising the pilot gesture: his waving hand would indicate 'torpedo gone'. I'd like to go with this but if anybody has any contradictory info please let me know.
Many thanks
P

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Depending on the strike range, sometimes the gunner or observer was left behind to save weight. The pilot dropped the torpedo - he used a bar sight between the front inner struts, which had a scale corresponding to various speeds of the target - this was illuminated at night, by little light bulbs...........
These are the Tamiya parts 9/10
tammy sights.jpg
Dave

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Depending on the strike range, sometimes the gunner or observer was left behind to save weight. The pilot dropped the torpedo - he used a bar sight between the front inner struts, which had a scale corresponding to various speeds of the target - this was illuminated at night, by little light bulbs...........
Dave
Many thanks Dave for confirming this, you're a star. :thumb2:
I think, on the Bismarck attack, a navigator would be necessary. I know that they'd already targeted the Sheffield by mistake so navigating was very important. I think I'll go with a 3 man crew for this build but you are right, they would drop a crew member to save weight.

Again, many thanks for the info

ATB
Paul

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Hi guys
I've been doing a bit more test fitting of the pilot. He seems to fit ok apart from his left arm which I've shaved down a little. The folds in the fabric of his jacket etc will be remedied when I fill the joints in the limbs.
Here's the test fitting process...

View attachment 500419
View attachment 500420

Now I have a question for any Swordfish aficionados out there
Would the observer (when dropping a torpedo) always be lying down? Or can the torpedo be loosed without the need to use the instrument panel underneath the pilot? (green arrow). I ask this question so that I know how to amend/sculpt the Observer figure. I have consulted the WWW but can't seem to get an answer. I would preferably have him standing but if the only way to drop the torpedo is by using the IP indicated then this obviously can't happen.
Any advice would really help me out enormously.

View attachment 500421

Cheers
Paul
Can't answer definitively, I would hazard an educated guess, (based on 15 years ASW flying experience), that the observer could guide the aircraft to it's drop point or the pilot could visually fly the aircraft and release when he's in the right place. (That's why they train).
To put it into modern day! In the FAA we could be guided onto our targets by a radar operator from a ship or another radar fitted craft, (ship or aircraft) even from the dropping aircraft if radar fitted. OR, if the target was obvious!! IE a periscope visual or surface ship then the pilots would carry out a visual attack. All well rehearsed and practiced. (On the Wasp a good visual aiming rule was when the target was level with the fourth rivet on the wind deflector and at 400 feet AMSL & at 90kts drop the weapon!!) Worked every time!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Interestingly I've found a site where the crews are listed

It seems for the Bismarck attack 3 man crews were used

This is why I love the hobby, you gain such a large amount of info on the subject as you go.

Thanks again Dave
Paul
It was all dependant on weight and payload. 1 crew member = 200lbs in weight. So factor in distance, fuel and ordinance gives you how many crew you could afford to carry!!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It was all dependant on weight and payload. 1 crew member = 200lbs in weight. So factor in distance, fuel and ordinance gives you how many crew you could afford to carry!!
Thanks for your input Doug. Always good to hear from those that know.
ATB
Paul