Polikarpov U-2 1/72 scratchbild

First Name
Peter
Dears,

I think it is high time to show something that is actually being under construction. At the moment I'm building one of the most known Soviet airplanes in one of the rarest versions. The inspiration to build this one came unexpected when I purchased a Po-2 kit and found out it had a floated twin brother. Unfortunately quality of the kit is disappointing. I could manage flash, and sink marks, but I can't help it is not accurate to the drawings...

Therefore I decided to build it from scratch:

Here is the "front office" and changed concept of the fuselage chamber:

I figured how to sort the bottom wing mounting. I simply sticked some Milliput to 0,8 mm injection needle and sanded down to shape (It's much easier than drilling through such a small bit..). I made two parts like this and used it to replace two bits from the fuselage structure. After I finish the fuselage I plan to make wings with location pins made of 0,5 mm needle whch precisely fits the 0,8 mm one.

Next I started a spider web. :smile:

The fuselage rigging additionally strengthened this part of assembly. Initially I did not make the spinal rigging, trusting that this would allow access to the fuselage chamber and ease mounting the trimmer lines. However after careful study of reference materials and confronting it with the opinion of experts it turned out that the particular aircraft did not have any trimmers.

Next I dealt with fuselage structure of the fuel tank and cockpit compartments. Initially I thought I would use the PE parts. In concern of proper dimensions the PE fret contains doubled framework parts. Gluing them together should give the accurate thickness. Unfortunately comparing it to the drawing showed unacceptable difference. So I have no other choice than to make it from scratch. I have started from portside as this part of cockpit requires more details. This way I have access through right side which I will leave open till the left side is finished.

Before I took care of starboard of the cockpit I decided to replace rudder pedals with more “delicate” ones – made up to the freshest idea. Then the right side framework was completed similarly to the left side.

First Name
Peter
The seat baskets are ready. Now I only have to make the seats add harnesses and put it inside cockpit. By the way, have you got any pictures showing the front seat – I think it differs from the rear seat (the back support) but have no reference… Here you can compare my piece with PART PE piece.

A simple templates made the job a bit easier:

I showed the photoetched piece just to compare how much it differs from the original seat basket. Mine is made correctly to the drawing.

The back of rear seat differes from front seat. It has got a hole through which the harness is threaded. The harness of the front seat is a bit different.

Rear seat (still without few pieces).

Front seat:

Front seat with smallest Polish coin to compare the size:

Dry fitting:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looking great Peter

B

Bunkerbarge

Marudek, it is simply a pleasure to watch these scratch builds going together. You have an amazing eye for detail and fantastic skill in model making.

First Name
Peter
Cheers lads!

Richard, it's just a matter of having a good reference. My colleague from Russia gave me enough to build 1:1 replica, so it would be shame if I didn't use it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Cheers lads!Richard, it's just a matter of having a good reference. My colleague from Russia gave me enough to build 1:1 replica, so it would be shame if I didn't use it.
And having the skills to be able to turn a two dimentional drawing into a three dimentional object. You have these skills and use them to great effect.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Peter

That's some fantastic work! I've recently just finished scratch building the 1/32 cockpit for my Typhoon (see below)

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes/11168-1-32-mdc-typhoon-1-48-hasegawa-typhoon.html

I can only imagine what it must be like in 1/72 - it is truly unbelievable.

Top stuff!

Cheers

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm with the rest of them Peter. You may have the plans but it takes some top class work to turn them into a model like that. Well done,I'm looking forward to your progress.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Peter
Of course you are right. Scratch-building requires more work than building OOB. Plus small scale makes it a bit tricky, but as I always try to explain – it’s not some miraculous skills that I have. I want to show that anybody is capable to do it because it’s just lots of study, dry fitting and the most important – know how. Anyone can learn a lot looking at master modeler’s builds – which is now as simple as few mouse clicks. I also spend a lot of time thinking how to:

- make two identical pieces with holes or other openings exactly in the same position,

- cut a 0,8 mm injection needle so the slice could successfully imitate a harness hole ring,

- make spokes for 1/72 bicycle wheels,

- make radial engine cylinders and so on

To me these little tricks are a cream to my modeling piece of cake :smile:

P.S. Thanks guys for your precious cheer. I’ll try to update this thread regularly.

First Name
Peter
Hi! I thought you might be interested in what I actually plan to do.

The panels that I intend to leave open are marked with blue lines. Red arrow shows the "door like" hatch that will be left open as well (on both sides). I also changed my mind regarding material for spine covering. Initially I thought to use PVC film, but then realized that it might be too fragile and decided to use "post-beer scrap".

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful work Peter, you are an inspiration.This is going to be one helluva build.

Al the best

Paul

First Name
Peter
Thanks Paul, I wish I could finish the spine covering till the end of the week.

First Name
Peter
Hi,

I’ve got the fuselage completed and it seems this thread needs a serious update. The tail is now finished but I don’t install it before everything is painted. It will be easier to paint every part separately and put it all in one piece once the top layer dries. Plus I won’t waste time on masking. I wanted to imitate the stripes of fabric which are applied on the ribs. Therefore I masked the horizontal and vertical stabilizers, the elevator and rudder and sprayed a couple of layers of flat black. Then removed the masking and sprayed overall base coat.

Then I made the fuel tank. This was very simple. It consists of three pieces of 3 mm styrene sandwiched to allow sculpting general shape. Then I wrapped it with stripe of 0,1 mm PVC film to obtain that specific edge of pressed sheet.

At last I could start the skinning. I did it with a bit of regret for the detail that is no longer visible but as I am an orthodox modeler I don’t do “skeletons”.

The assembly was being constantly checked against drawings. I even compared it to the kit part.

Then I just filled some minor gaps, drilled holes for bottom wing beams, sprayed the primer to check filling and sanding, and used the PART photoetched exterior detail which in most cases is very accurate.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dude that is one sweet little bird!

To think that after all that detail work It will all be hidden away inside the fuselage. I can understand your regrets but as we often say on here; "You know its there!"

Fabulous work Peter.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just caught this update and can't really add to what Ian said. Beautiful work.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi peter, this is simply stunning work, your skill in scratchbuilding is fantastic. I really have a soft spot for the po2/u2 after reading up on the 'nachthexen' and making the old KP kit as one of their machines (see here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/aircraft-pictures/7651-polikarpov-po2.html), although i simply made the kit , unlike your superb scratchbuilt version! keep the pics coming, cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

truly amazing work Peter,looking forward to seeing the finished build

First Name
Peter
Thanks lads for your warm words. I hope not to disappoint you with the final effect. yak face I've seen your Po-2, and must admit you squeezed the most of it from that vintage kit :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Thanks lads for your warm words. I hope not to disappoint you with the final effect. yak face I've seen your Po-2, and must admit you squeezed the most of it from that vintage kit :smiling3:
Thanks peter, coming from a master scratchbuilder like yourself thats made my day! cheers tony