Polikarpov U-2 1/72 scratchbild

Š

Španac

Oh god that crazy.! This is unbelievable. Colleagues, every honor, this will follow with great interest.

I

Iwtcha

I am left without words. Such perfection in the scratchbuilding I've never seen so far. Really perfect.

Ivica

First Name
Peter
Cheers lads! I've recently finished the tank and belly covers (which will be displayed aside finished model). Now as I have all the fuselage completed I could start painting. I decided to paint all the pieces separately still before assembly. It saved me a lot of masking and eased the painting process (in some cases I could paint “free hand”).

R

rogue-one

hi there peter, this is a great thread to follow. such detailed work. and such a nice plane of choice.

Š

Španac

Turbo realistic. I have no words ..... Bravo colleague!!!

B

Bunkerbarge

As with all your other builds Peter this is a course in scratchbuilding. Fantastic detail and modelling at it's best.

First Name
Peter
Cheers lads! I’ve just finished the "undercarriage" :grin:

I filled the fuselage structure with epoxy glue for metal.

Grey primer helps detect surface imperfections

After detailing the float could be copied

The mold and moldings

The struts are made of injection needles and the plugs are PE parts.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top work peter, this is going to look fantastic, cheers tony

First Name
Peter
The wings are now fixed and rigged so I can show you how it went together. First I printed the wings outlines on adhesive paper and bandsaw the pieces out of 5mm polystyrene sheet.

Then I shaped the wings profile and gave the proper angle to the upper wing by cutting groves and inserting polystyrene wedges.

Next I could work on imitation of strengthening tapes. I did it by engraving lines and painting over with few layers of flat black.

I also had to modify the landing lamp. The one provided in PART PE fret gives wrong angle, so I replaced it with a piece of aluminum sheet trimmed to proper shape.

_____Bad:____________Good:_____

Then I could paint the wings and apply the decals.

Finally I assembled and rigged the wings.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Every time I look at one of your scratch builds I am amazed at the level of detail and the quality of the workmanship.

It's truly a joy to watch your work.

Ian M

First Name
Peter
Thank you Ian - your kind words are really motivating. But the most difficult part is still ahead. I'm affraid that I could spoil the model with my scratchbuilt engine. I can't postpone the build of engine anymore and wonder to take a shortcut by buying a Neomega M-11 engine and combining it with PE parts and some scratchbuilt pieces.

Do you know where I could buy a 1/72 Neamoga M-11 resin engine?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I have to say Peter this build is amazing. It's very inspirational, not that I'll ever attempt anything on this level !!

Regards

Colin M....

First Name
Peter
Hi Colin,

That's a pity. Because if you'd only try to scratch build something - maybe you might find it more creatve and fun than OOB models :smiling3:

Regards,

Peter

First Name
Peter
The model is ready and now it decorates my office. If you want to see the last stages of the construction please click my signature bar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Piotr! Its been a long time.

Just want to say that your efforts have paid off. That is an outstanding Model that you have built. Very well done.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Peter truly a masterful rendention,would love to see more pics!

First Name
Peter
Dears, thank you for your kind words. I will try to arrange some professional pictures and will let you know. Now I have started to build a 1/48 Catalina cutaway which is to be the project of my life (far better than Mr. Wolf's magnificent model).