POW-The Escape

First Name
Stuart
My next diorama will be based on a few prisoners attempting to escape from a German ww2 prison camp.
I will have to try and make a few of the barracks and fences.
I have ordered my watch towers and other bits so will post as I get them.
I hope this goes to plan as it's not going to be easy.
It's not going to be based on a real prison only because I can't get the right things I need but we will see how it goes .

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Interesting Stuart, sound like a good original piece.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Great subject matter Stuart, one not often seen;)......Will keep an eye on....Jim:smiling3:

First Name
Stuart
I feel another cracker coming up from the 'Pikeman Studios'

Ron
Hi Ron it's going to be 1/35 just hope I get the scale right and I was going with the Quonset huts with corrugated roof I know it may not be the right style but I am not the best at scratch building just hope it's ok and fits the scene.
Would be happy to getting half way near your quality.
Glad to have you along and cheers for the info it all helps

First Name
Stuart
Great subject matter Stuart, one not often seen;)......Will keep an eye on....Jim:smiling3:
Hi Jim it's good to have you on board.
That's what I thought about not seeing many build on pow camps so I thought I might give it a go,it will be a fictional camp as I am not good enough to recreate a real one so hope it looks ok

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
an interesting idea,Stuart,will be watching this one,;)

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jim it's good to have you on board.
That's what I thought about not seeing many build on pow camps so I thought I might give it a go,it will be a fictional camp as I am not good enough to recreate a real one so hope it looks ok
Never say never Stuart, just look at a lot of pics on subject, though not a pleasant one I know.
Something will eventually click in your head and can act as a back drop and catalyst to your main theme, maybe a certain pile of detritus or rubble etc.. can be a basis of dedication to realism on your part.

Remember there is never any rush to finish a project and excellence is always worth the wait;)...keep us posted and I'll keep an eye on this one for sure......Jim:smiling3:

First Name
Stuart
Never say never Stuart, just look at a lot of pics on subject, though not a pleasant one I know.
Something will eventually click in your head and can act as a back drop and catalyst to your main theme, maybe a certain pile of detritus or rubble etc.. can be a basis of dedication to realism on your part.

Remember there is never any rush to finish a project and excellence is always worth the wait;)...keep us posted and I'll keep an eye on this one for sure......Jim:smiling3:
Cheers Jim really appreciate your input and advice.
I am sure it will come together but I will definitely keep you posted

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Stuart, I had a go at a Quonset once - rather unsuccessfully too!

I made a half circle out of card, the shape of the roof and tried to layer my corrugated sheets to that....No luck. Perhaps someone else will come along that has had more luck than me and will be able to help.

Sound advise from Jim. I agree, just keep looking at pictures, ideas will start to flow.

First Name
Stuart
Well I will try my best to make it work but I also might fail .
I will check up on pics to try to get it right

First Name
colin
I'll be watching this one Stuart
One thing mate most roofs were made of tounge and groove and covered with tar paper might make a bit easier for you than trying to scratch build corrugated sheets

First Name
Stuart
Thanks for your input Colin I really appreciate the info mate.
I have got some corrugated sheets ready so will try them first.
I don't expect things to be easy or go to plan and it is a fictional camp so won't be to exact specs of what it would of been back then,it's just my own take on it really so I am hoping it works.
Glad you are on board and thanks again for your info

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks for your input Colin I really appreciate the info mate.
I have got some corrugated sheets ready so will try them first.
I don't expect things to be easy or go to plan and it is a fictional camp so won't be to exact specs of what it would of been back then,it's just my own take on it really so I am hoping it works.
Glad you are on board and thanks again for your info
Yikes! Don't over think it either Stuart, go with a flow you feel comfortable with, and see how things go.

After all, it takes many attempts and many projects under ones belt to get to the point of satisfaction with ones work ( I in my own opinion aren't there yet)
The main thing is to enjoy yourself and exercise your imagination;).............Jim:smiling3:

First Name
Stuart
Tha
Yikes! Don't over think it either Stuart, go with a flow you feel comfortable with, and see how things go.

After all, it takes many attempts and many projects under ones belt to get to the point of satisfaction with ones work ( I in my own opinion aren't there yet)
The main thing is to enjoy yourself and exercise your imagination;).............Jim:smiling3:
nk you Jim taken on board what you said and definitely going to enjoy making this build cheers for your input always appreciated