Purchasing a new airbrush kit

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Yeah cheers Aaron it's amazing how some people just simply pick things up (or just get lucky)and others have to battle their way through something.Just making a point to others and mainly beginners that if I'd have gone and got myself a quality airbrush and compressor initially then my journey would have been a whole lot easier and not so frustrating plus I wouldn't have wasted my money on some cheap crap that didn't work.The Chinese rubbish didn't work for me but it's evident that it might work for others but not all.Like I said just my story and opinion.But all this talk as now got me thinking could I after 2 years experience of using something quality engineered that actually works 1st time every time without a problem whatsoever could I now make a return to the Chinese set up and make that work equally as well mmmmmmmmmmm I'm not so sure but you know what I'm going to give it a bash and see how I get on report back later cheers John

L

Laurie

\ said:
Actually John not an Iwata it is produced by Sparmax and badged for Iwata. The same company do this for a number of companies. Not my deduction it was info from the chap whose company sells and repairs compressors.

Same with the Neo. produced by a Chinese Company for Iwata. But at least you have some hope that Iwata will have taken some trouble to ensure that the production standard is maintained. Even then there are more problems written about Neo than any of the True Iwatas or H ans S.

Not so critical on the compressors. I have been unlucky and had a near handful of failures with the Chinese types but many have not depends on your luck. But if you buy a Sparmax you pay near 3 times the price of a Chinese. Also it just simply sits there and provides oil free air job done. An airbrush is a tool and is much more complex and its worth depends on its multi capabilities. Face it an airbrush may be expensive at £100 but over 20 years that is a fiver a year for quality. A few seals replacements over that time and provided you are careful your needle/nozzle will last that long.

My Father a Carpenter and Joiner plugged into me buy quality. You can then never blame your tools and your tools will do the best they can for your capabilities.

Laurie

image-jpg.114903.jpg

D

dubster72

Neo is from Taiwan, so the quality is supposed to be better than generic Chinese airbrushes.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
View attachment 104719

\ said:
Actually John not an Iwata it is produced by Sparmax and badged for Iwata. The same company do this for a number of companies. Not my deduction it was info from the chap whose company sells and repairs compressors.
Same with the Neo. produced by a Chinese Company for Iwata. But at least you have some hope that Iwata will have taken some trouble to ensure that the production standard is maintained. Even then there are more problems written about Neo than any of the True Iwatas or H ans S.

Not so critical on the compressors. I have been unlucky and had a near handful of failures with the Chinese types but many have not depends on your luck. But if you buy a Sparmax you pay near 3 times the price of a Chinese. Also it just simply sits there and provides oil free air job done. An airbrush is a tool and is much more complex and its worth depends on its multi capabilities. Face it an airbrush may be expensive at £100 but over 20 years that is a fiver a year for quality. A few seals replacements over that time and provided you are careful your needle/nozzle will last that long.

My Father a Carpenter and Joiner plugged into me buy quality. You can then never blame your tools and your tools will do the best they can for your capabilities.

Laurie
My iwata (sparmax) compressor as you point out was 3 times the price of the Chinese ones but I have only ever brought one iwata compressor how many Chinese ones have you brought as you report you've had a few failures.My iwata works quietly away on my bench delivering constant air pressure to my brush without sounding like I have a pneumatic drill in the room which doesn't overheat after 5mins of use like the cheapo Chinese one does.As I posted this was just my story and opinion on airbrushing everyone's experience will be different but to put it more simply

£80.00 spent on Chinese Airbush and Compressor (For Me) EPIC FAIL complete waste of money and my time (very frustrating)

£400.00-£500.00 spent on iwata products (For Me) A 1st class result worked from the 1st time everytime and still does not one problem or hiccup in 2years of usage.SO IN MY OPINION MONEY WELL SPENT

Just my experience to date of airbrushing so my advice if you are a beginner try avoiding the cheap stuff as this as a high percentage of giving many of you a frustrating time with bad results.Try and go the extra mile money wise and buy something well engineered by one of the repeatable suppliers as in my experience will give many of you the best start.Remember just my story and experience of airbrushing others are available from other members

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Laurie

To put it in perspective I have had "4 chinese" compressor failures. But 3 in guarantee. So cost £140 so far and the new one is going fine and has 6 months to go on guarantee. So that is about about £20 year. Not forgetting I have been it seems unlucky on average.

Sparmax cost £150. Still only a year gurantee

Iwata cost £250. still only a year gurantee

But the real point was a good airbrush first at the expense of a cheaper compressor. A cheap or expensive compressor produces the same air required.

Laurie

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
To put it in perspective I have had "4 chinese" compressor failures. But 3 in guarantee. So cost £140 so far and the new one is going fine and has 6 months to go on guarantee. So that is about about £20 year. Not forgetting I have been it seems unlucky on average.
Sparmax cost £150. Still only a year gurantee

Iwata cost £250. still only a year gurantee

But the real point was a good airbrush first at the expense of a cheaper compressor. A cheap or expensive compressor produces the same air required.

Laurie
Iwata airbrushes and compressors come with a 10 year guarantee Laurie I know I have the paperwork to prove it.I disagree that a cheap compressor will perform equally as well as an iwata one as I have used both and there is a massive difference.I mean what's the point of having a top of the range airbrush if the air being supplied is hot and intermittent due to the compressor being hot which will have a big effect on paints etc.4 failures you say that's a lot and on your fifth that's a story in itself.I strongly recommend when your 5th compressor finally gives out may I suggest an iwata which will be a lot safer and easier to use with better performance.Just my advice and opinion others are available

L

Laurie

\ said:
Iwata airbrushes and compressors come with a 10 year guarantee Laurie I know I have the paperwork to prove it.I disagree that a cheap compressor will perform equally as well as an iwata one as I have used both and there is a massive difference.I mean what's the point of having a top of the range airbrush if the air being supplied is hot and intermittent due to the compressor being hot which will have a big effect on paints etc.4 failures you say that's a lot and on your fifth that's a story in itself.I strongly recommend when your 5th compressor finally gives out may I suggest an iwata which will be a lot safer and easier to use with better performance.Just my advice and opinion others are available
John you have been jolly lucky this is from the Iwata site.

Compressors

All Iwata air compressors are warranted against all manufacturing defects of material and manufacture or workmanship for a period of ONE year from date of purchase. Any part or material that is or becomes defective so as not to be usable within this period will be repaired or replaced. This warranty does not cover damage caused by negligence or units that have been altered or abused in any way.

Iwata Warranty

Airbrushes

An unprecedented five-year warranty backs all Iwata airbrushes. All Iwata airbrushes are warranted against all manufacturing defects of material and manufacture or workmanship for a period of FIVE years from date of purchase. Any part or material that is or becomes defective so as not to be usable within this period will be repaired or replaced. This warranty does not cover damage caused by negligence or units that have been altered or abused in any way.

*Needles and Nozzles need to be replaced from time to time due to ordinary wear and are not covered by the above warranty.

From the heat point of view it is a scientific fact that all compressors will churn out air at a higher temperature than the ingoing air. The act of compressing air heats the resulted compressed air. This is as in a heat pump for heating or a reverse action for a refirigerator.

If you touch the actual holding tank it should be normally cool. This is the reason for draining the holding tank as the air in coming from the compressor it condenses into water in the tank. I have my compressor in a noise reduction enclosure and worried about the heat even though vents were installed. During running for the first time the compressor was as cool as a cucumber after running for 15 minutes. If the compressor is running hot then it has a fault it should be warm not hot. If you are having a lot of water condensing in the inline hose water filter then there is a problem with the compressor. Very rare that I even have one drop of water.

On 10 year guarantees John at 77 not sure who or which will win. :sad:

Laurie

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
View attachment 104724

View attachment 104725

Laurie I didn't really want to get into a debate about compressors and airbrushing I just posted my own personal experience of them to help other newbies make informed choices for themselves.I think everyone on the forum knows that something made by iwata or one of the other leading brands will out perform and outlast something made in china.10 year guarantee as shown above 5 years from iwata and the suppliers are that confident they give you another 5 years on top making a total of 10.image.jpg

image.jpg

D

dubster72

I'm not sure that £80 vs £400-500 is "going the extra mile " John! More like the extra many miles :P

Each to their own, I certainly couldn't recommend spending that much to someone looking for their 1st airbrush.

L

Laurie

\ said:
View attachment 114969 View attachment 114970 Laurie I didn't really want to get into a debate about compressors and airbrushing I just posted my own personal experience of them to help other newbies make informed choices for themselves.I think everyone on the forum knows that something made by iwata or one of the other leading brands will out perform and outlast something made in china.10 year guarantee as shown above 5 years from iwata and the suppliers are that confident they give you another 5 years on top making a total of 10.
Quite right John I like your comments on this forum and we certainly do not want to fall out over a compressor. ie " no compressed hot air ".

Also I purchased an Iwata from the same people and just looked it up. You are right I to got 10 years grantee ie an Iwata 5 and a seller plus 5. I had not realised as I had not read the gurantee. Have to say though, in my defence, that I did not understand that you had added another 5 years from the seller as not all retailers if any give that extra 5. Also you can now buy cheaper elsewhere the same product but with just a 5 year gurantee.

Laurie

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Laurie I don't agree with everything written and said on this forum I mean some of the comments in this thread aren't helpful. But I'd never fall out over anything as I don't take it that seriously after all it's a hobby and a bit of fun.I don't pretend to be an expert in any area of this hobby all I do is offer my opinion and help if I feel I can and comment on some of the nice models built by some great members.Please let it be known I hold you in the highest regard and although we don't agree this time I respect your opinion. I feel my input about my experience of compressors and airbrushes is now exhausted and it's up to the individual their interpretation of my "story"It maybe helpful if other members who have already posted give us their experience/story of their compressors and airbrushes.This will be my last post in this particular thread regards everyone John.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Interesting discussion and no-one is right or wrong. We all have our preferences.

My own experience of a cheap Chinese AS186 compressor has been positive having worked well for nearly 3 1/2 years. But recently it started leaking and I decided it is time to replace it. The AS186 cost me £85 when I got it.

This time I decided to go for quality and just had a Sparmax delivered which cost £165. The spec on the Sparmax is very similar to the AS I had, with a tank. In fact I think it may be the 'name' compressor the AS186 was based on.

I have just today plugged it in and fir s it up for the first time.

It is quieter than the AS

It charges quicker and recharges quicker

Although the tank is slightly smaller it seems to take longer before it kicks in.

The pressure control is easier to use (the AS was stiff and difficult to turn)

Overall it quite clearly has been made with higher quality components than the AS. It is quite noticeable and it has a protective cover.

So I believe the Sparmax is a superior product and worth the extra outlay and, hopefully it will last long enough to match the value of the AS. With the motor working less hard hopefully it has a head start in that. But at the end of the day its job is just to pump air to the airbrush after all and the cheapo AS did good service for me. What to choose depends on what you can and want to afford at the time and there can be no right or wrong.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Please let it be known I hold you in the highest regard and although we don't agree this time I respect your opinion.
Blimey and hell that is so nice John. I like your respect for other people's opinions. At times that takes a lot of doing. I always try to put, perhaps to forcibly, only how I feel and believe without favour for friendship or the favoured agreement of others.

I think that well worth it when you get respect. I thank you very much for that and hold you in the very highest regard for your candour.

Laurie

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
Edward I got this one 2 days ago for £15, Nzd $30 delivered. Some will scoff because there's is no recognizable name but it comes with 0.2,0.3 and 0.5 needles and tips. Perfect for a beginner.
View attachment 114788

I know there is merit in buying well established named tools but if looked after the cheap option can still be successful.
thats not bad Aaron,as i need a new one ,as my was dropped and bent the needle tip,bad muggy :rolleyes:

and i do like having the three needle sizes and the stopper at the end,

could i please have to link to it, :D

First Name
Aaron
New Zealand only for this one sorry Monica, does Australia have a super cheap auto?

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
ta Aaron yes we have that over hear,will have a look,see i should look in junk mail,:rolleyes:

i have been to them looking for the fitting but they dont sell,i think there 1/8 connections.

First Name
Aaron
\ said:
ta Aaron yes we have that over hear,will have a look,see i should look in junk mail,:rolleyes:
i have been to them looking for the fitting but they dont sell,i think there 1/8 connections.
The a/b is sold in sca, one of the store owners has a trade me account and I brought it through that.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
This is women for you. ;)
Laurie
true Laurie,i was cleaning it and the pussa jumped up and down gone the AB,oh boo,

not me throwing it because it gets blocked alot, :rolleyes:

spend more time cleaning than painting,

\ said:
The a/b is sold in sca, one of the store owners has a trade me account and I brought it through that.
I will get around to having alook at cheap auto,if not get one of evilbay,and not from china take for ever to get to you,

HK is ok to get from,:rolleyes:

L

Laurie

\ said:
it because it gets blocked alot, :rolleyes:
spend more time cleaning than painting,
Not sure what paint you are using Moni but for acrylics Vallejo now do a flow improver. Tried it and up to now it only has plus likes. It does thin the paint but not as the thinners does Worth a try to solve your problems.

Some paint in the airbrush cup for 10 minutes came back and went on spraying as normal.

Laurie