Purchasing a new airbrush kit

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
ta Laurie,I only use Vallejo ,just find when using the AB for a bit that the nozzle dry outs, ,

I have hurd about it someone else said a little time ago,

so how much do you use in each cup ? or is it by how mean drops of paint, ?

i did ask my guy i get the paint from if he is getting it in,but think i will have to get online, ;)

L

Laurie

Hi Moni.

They say in the glurb 1 drop to 5. But I think that is a matter of experience and also temperature and humidity. In you case Moni higher temps. than here.

What I can say is that has been quite a revelation. Also I have just today used it with model colour hand painting and that works well.

Best is to try they do small bottles which gives a trial for little cash and money as well :D

Laurie

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
ta Laurie, i will try some as soon as i have a little cash,the other half owes me,:rolleyes:

also what i do think is or maybe ,making it dry fast is that i put the fan on the compresses to keep it cool as it tends

to run a little hot if using for some time,

thats lite the Windsor and Newton one i cannot get in an art shop hear ,but they had something else

so thats a frist on the list this time around,also some think i need and wont, ;)

L

Laurie

If using Vallejo go for the Vallejo Moni as it is designed for acrylic Vallejo paints. Windsor and Newton is for hand brush painting.

Laurie

D

dubster72

\ said:
If using Vallejo go for the Vallejo Moni as it is designed for acrylic Vallejo paints. Windsor and Newton is for hand brush painting.
Laurie
Plenty of people have used W&N flow improver for yonks to great effect Laurie - just because it's got Vallejo on the bottle doesn't make it any better.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Plenty of people have used W&N flow improver for yonks to great effect Laurie - just because it's got Vallejo on the bottle doesn't make it any better.
Sure they have Patrick mostly for artistic work ie with hand brushes.

But if you had a wine glass would you be happy with it full of water or as it was designed to be used for the receptacle of a glorious cool superb New Zealand Crisp Sauvignon Blanc " Cloudy Bay" from the Marlborough area. That is the Vallejo way. Perfection. :cool:

Laurie

D

dubster72

\ said:
Sure they have Patrick mostly for artistic work ie with hand brushes.
But if you had a wine glass would you be happy with it full of water or as it was designed to be used for the receptacle of a glorious cool superb New Zealand Crisp Sauvignon Blanc " Cloudy Bay" from the Marlborough area. That is the Vallejo way. Perfection. :cool:

Laurie
Umm no, I mean by airbrushing! Look at other forums & you'll see. The flow improver works before the paint is mixed with the air, so it performs the same effect as with hand brushing.

You carry on using everything marked "Vallejo" by all means! I just want people to know that other products perform just as well & maybe at a cheaper price.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
ta Laurie,Patrick,for the info,

maybe thats why Vallejo did bring out there owe as knowing tht people do use other brands so why not ,or why miss out on some bucks,

but as it dose stand at the moment its hard to get the,W/N out hear and have to get it by mail from back home,UK,so its much the same thing,

and i do understand Laurie,that it is for brush painting ,but if thats all what about and dose work why not use or try it,

L

Laurie

\ said:
ta Laurie,Patrick,for the info,
maybe thats why Vallejo did bring out there owe as knowing tht people do use other brands so why not ,or why miss out on some bucks,

but as it dose stand at the moment its hard to get the,W/N out hear and have to get it by mail from back home,UK,so its much the same thing,

and i do understand Laurie,that it is for brush painting ,but if thats all what about and dose work why not use or try it,
I did contemplate using the W and N flow improver.

I found that although you can use it for airbrushing it is intended for the artist type as said. Principally for preliminary washes for sky, water and grass etc. This requires time (used to render architectural drawings which involved large area of wash). What you do not need is quick drying paint as the wash or render edge must be kept wet at all times or paint will accumulate and spoil the wash. I found that Windsor and Newton did have a flow improver, great for washes (in the old days we used Oxe's Gaul) , but did use a retarder in the mixture which lengthens the drying time. That was the reason I abandoned W&S. But have no idea what lengthening of drying time that is. Vallejo as far as I can see is not affected.

Like all things the proof is in the eating etc. Be interested to find out. If it is slower there are always benefits at times which may be made use of.

Laurie

D

dubster72

Would the addition of a retarder not be a positive thing? After all, it's paint drying too quickly that causes blockages. I'd bet the Vallejo one contains a retarder.

Thankfully I don't need all this stuff with lovely, easy-to-use enamels :P

L

Laurie

\ said:
i put the fan on the compresses to keep it cool as it tends
to run a little hot if using for some time,
If your compressor is running hot which it should not be Moni there may be a solution.

But it needs some one with a bit of being able to undo screws and things. Not denigrating your ability to do the owrk just a warning.

If the cylinder head or heads are taken off in those heads there are in and out (from memory) little valve type things. These can some times get a build up of rubbish attached to them and even though small they can stop the valve closing properly and escape of air.

Very carefully clean, normally the edges, of each one. Put back together making sure the head screws on the cylinder are tightened in a number of sequences round and round to ensure even tightening down of the cylinder head.

If this is a problem the compressor is working overtime to make up the escaped air and getting hot through over work. Any way worth a try. If this does not do the trick then air is probably getting past between the piston and cylinder not much that can be done.

Laurie

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
mmmm Laurie,that is some thing to think about ,and your right not some think i wont to

play with,

will have to ask about ,were and if there is someone that dose do repair or services on them,

and thats a hard thing to find ,just no one seam to do stuff any more, ;)

D

dubster72

It's not difficult to access the part that Laurie mentions Monica.

Which compressor do you have? Mines in bits atm coz I'm converting it to a refrigerator type compressor, so I can take photos if you want.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
its this one hear in the link,Patrick,

the thing that would give me a problem is that of the tightening of the screws,back to the right tension,

and what if i take of the top and some think pops out oh no what to do then,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Airbrush-Air-Brush-Compressor-for-Spray-Gun-Kit-Nail-Art-Make-Up-Tattoo-Tanning/271341833372?_trksid=p2060778.c100276.m3476&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140813105702%26meid%3Dea787f0e0eea45e9a3f95acc6ff61328%26pid%3D100276%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D261001026297

L

Laurie

\ said:
mmmm Laurie,that is some thing to think about ,and your right not some think i wont to
play with,

will have to ask about ,were and if there is someone that dose do repair or services on them,

As Patrick says Moni it is not difficult and may be I have made it sound that way. For instance any one who can adjust things on a bicycle or that sort of thing will be OK. From memory it is just four bolts. Thing to remember is to take the cylinder head off and lay down in the order it is to go back and which way up. Patrick's photos will show the parts. Any problems just come back.

This is not a "mission impossible" . But this email will self destruct within 50 years :eek:

Laurie

L

Laurie

\ said:
play with,

As Patrick says Moni it is not difficult and may be I have made it sound that way. For instance any one who can adjust things on a bicycle or that sort of thing will be OK. From memory it is just four bolts. Thing to remember is to take the cylinder head off and lay down in the order it is to go back and which way up. Patrick's photos will show the parts. Any problems just come back.

This is not a "mission impossible" . But this email will self destruct within 50 years :eek:

Laurie

L

Laurie

Appears that it will be two emails which will self destruct. :oops:

Laurie

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that will be a great help and to have the plans on hand as if some thing dose go wrong,Laurie,

dont like the self destruct think to much :rolleyes:

it real cannot be that hard to do,as the thing is over hear hard to fine fix men ,back in Mania you

can get some think or any think fixed with a lot who will do it,just shows, how the west is,if its not right,

bin it and get a new one why fix, ;)

D

dubster72

Here's the pictures Moni

First the top (my carrying handle has already been removed coz it rattled too much!)

View attachment 104948

Now removing it with an Allen key bit

View attachment 104949

The 4 screws & washers

View attachment 104951

Once the cover is off, you see this. The white plastic part is the valve. It's basically a bung held there which lifts up slightly each time the piston moves up. As the piston goes down, it closes to prevent air leaking out.

View attachment 104952

View attachment 104953

This is the piston housing.

View attachment 104954

This is the underside of the black section, showing both the valve & the piston head space.

There are no gaskets & I just tighten up one turn past "finger tight ". You'll know if it's not tight enough if you hear a hiiisssss when you turn it on! If so, just tighten the screws a little more.

View attachment 104950

IMG_20150329_205715.jpg

IMG_20150329_205838.jpg

IMG_20150329_205924.jpg

IMG_20150329_205924.jpg

IMG_20150329_205933.jpg

IMG_20150329_205953.jpg

IMG_20150329_210030.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
ta Patrick,

well thats a real help,and there is no bits that will fly out ones taken apart,

so if i have got this right,as what Laurie,is saying you need to clean around the piston,were it go,s

down into the hole,so its not sealing right,or some think is not right there, ;)

View attachment 104955

IMG_20150329_205953.jpg