Returning 1st build - 1/72 Airfix Wildcat

1275GT

Hi all, returning to the fold after a too-long lay off. SWMBO enrolled me into the Airfix club a while ago, and as part of which I got the Fleet Air Arm set.

So spying the simple single colour scheme, I figured the Wildcat was the easiest option to start with.

For those not familiar, the kit is basic in the extreme, so I thought I'd have a go at tarting it up a little, my theory being I couldn't make it any worse and if it came to it, I'll stick the nice thick canopy on it so no one can see the mess inside!!

So, armed with the basic Eduard PE kit and a few odd bits of plastic, off I go...............

( I did have some earlier shots, but they don't seem to want to upload....sorry !)

View attachment 19757View attachment 19758View attachment 19759View attachment 19760

The seat is the basic bench thing that the kit provides, with the pilot used as a rough guide for width, sheet sides added. The stick is a peice of fuse wire inserted into a shaped peice of sprue, and the backing for the gauges and peice of sheet.

Comments more than welcome, enjoy !

Cheers, Neil

View attachment 27060

View attachment 27061

View attachment 27062

View attachment 27063

wildcat cockpit 5.jpg

wildcat cockpit 6.jpg

wildcat cockpit 7.jpg

wildcat cockpit 8.jpg

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
Well, have yourself a Bourbon.

That looks good to me!

Peter

B

Bunkerbarge

I always think a 1/72nd aircraft is a good way to get back into modelling after a period of absence and you are proving exactly why. You are making a great job of the cockpit area and even adding more detail to make it that bit out of the ordinary. I'm sure you are very pleased with the resuklts, you certainly should be.

1275GT

MMMM....bourbon good !! Thank you for the comments.

Ok, added the side consoles and head rest and I think I'll call that finished. Not 100% about the colouring, but to be honest , I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out, so I'll leave it alone !!

View attachment 19831View attachment 19832View attachment 19833

Started on the bodywork, thinned down the instrument cowling and also a little of the engine cowling where the exhaust exits. Next on the list, the wonders of that landing gear...........more bourbon I think!

Cheers, Neil

View attachment 27121

View attachment 27122

View attachment 27123

wildcat cockpit 9.jpg

wildcat cockpit 11.jpg

wildcat cockpit 15.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hello Neil. Your work looks brilliant, if you can do this to an Airfix model, I can't wait to see what you can do to a more 'detailed' model ! Now it is said that behind every good man, there's a good woman. Just think if she hadn't enrolled you in the Airfix club................!

Regards

Colin M......

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi neil, great job on the cockpit, unrecognisable from the original!! I made the airfix martlet when i was a nipper ,cant remember quite what the level of detail was like (many moons ago Kimosabe!) but one thing i do remember is i really enjoyed making it and it looks mighty fine in the FAA colours especially if its got some invasion stripes on too. keep up the excellent work , cheers tony

1275GT

Hi all.... thank you for the kind words.

Colin, you're quite right about my better half, I just need to now persuade her to give me somewhere permanent to work !!

Tony, the level of detail is.........er........NIL !! I'm probably going to chicken out on the colouring and do the all over dark blue scheme. My weakest part of modeling has always been the finish, so I'm going to try and keep it simple, for the first few at least.

Anyway, started on the big bits. Made a couple of bulkheads from sheet, just to close the area in ( I know the front one dosen't exsist, I claim artistic license!). You can also just see the thinned down instrument cowl. I'll try and get a bit of detailing in there, before the real fun of that undercarrage........

View attachment 19878View attachment 19879View attachment 19880

As you can see, I've done the wigs as well..........and made the school-boy error of not filling the rocket mounting points first !! You live and learn......

Cheers, Neil

View attachment 27157

View attachment 27158

View attachment 27159

bulkhead 1.jpg

bulkhead 2.jpg

bulkhead 3.jpg

1275GT

Ok...progress.......slow, but progress. Is it me or does life sometimes seem intent on getting in the way !!

Anyway, got a bit of detailing done on the wheelbay. I love paper-clips !! It's a little overscale ( lol ), but it gives you something to look at .

View attachment 20177View attachment 20179View attachment 20176View attachment 20178

Next up, paint and get the body together, followed by the joy that is the undercarriage !! Not sure if I'll mod the kit parts ( such as they are !!) or have a go at some scratch-building...........I'll see you in about a month then !!!

Cheers, Neil

View attachment 27335

View attachment 27336

View attachment 27337

View attachment 27338

View attachment 27339

wheelbay5.jpg

wheelbay4.jpg

wheelbay1.jpg

wheelbay2.jpg

wheelbay3.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You obviously haven't lost your touch. It's looking very good indeed. Best of luck with the undercarriage,I shall look forward to seeing it.

Cheers

Steve

F

Ferrets Bueller

Looking good mate, will watch the progress of this with interest

1275GT

Hi all, sorry for the "slight" delay from my previous posts, usual pitches from life including the big bloke in the red suit that insists I buy presents for everyone........anyway, I thought I'd chuck up a few pic's of progress so far.......

View attachment 24272View attachment 24273View attachment 24274View attachment 24275View attachment 24276View attachment 24277View attachment 24278View attachment 24279View attachment 24281

......most of it seems to have gone fairly well so far. I've guesstimated the white stripes just to add a bit more interest and am quite happy with the results.

You may have noticed I haven't tackled the prickly subject of that undercarriage. I am at the moment attempting to scratch build a set using some left-overs from the pe set. We'll see how that goes ( if I don't go blind first ! ).

One question I'd like to ask concerns the finish. I thought the gloss was a bit too much, but I'm wondering if the matt is too much the other way, does anyone have an idea what the actual finish on the aircraft in this theatre was?

Cheers, Neil

View attachment 30769

View attachment 30770

View attachment 30771

View attachment 30772

View attachment 30773

View attachment 30774

View attachment 30775

View attachment 30776

View attachment 30778

DSC04422.jpg

DSC04420.jpg

DSC04426.jpg

DSC04427.jpg

DSC04430.jpg

DSC04434.jpg

DSC04432.jpg

DSC04439.jpg

DSC04469.jpg

1275GT

PS if any Mods see this, this thread seems to have ended up in the Reference section for some reason. Is there any chance of moving it to the Under Construction section at all..........I'm sure thats where I left it !!!

Cheers, Neil

L

Lancasterb1

Looking good there Neil, the masking and priming seems to have paid off with the build, look forward to seeing it nicely weathered and chipped especially as it is a Navy bird!

1275GT

Thanks Andy, it's only out of rattle cans so I'm quite happy with the finish.

Not sure about the weathering...........the rate this is going, if I get into that, the bloke in the red suit will be back pestering me again before it gets finished !!!

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Now that Neil is looking very nice, from what i've seen on the net they look matt. Someone will let you know better though matey.

Have fun, John

1275GT

Thanks, Richard.

Yeah, John, I would have guessed they'd be matt, but you never know with the navy !!! Time to bite the bullet and crack on with that undercarriage......

Cheers, Neil

1275GT

Ok, after a lot of fiddling and a few false starts, one of half of the undercarrage is made. It's nowhere near perfect, but I think it's a lot better than the kit parts, though tbh, that wouldn't be hard!! It should be a bit better once it's all painted up. I may have to leave it a while before I attempt the other side, just to let my eyesight return...

View attachment 24764View attachment 24763View attachment 24762View attachment 24761View attachment 24760View attachment 24759

Cheers, Neil

View attachment 31085

View attachment 31086

View attachment 31087

View attachment 31088

View attachment 31089

View attachment 31090

undercarrage5.jpg

undercarrage3.jpg

undercarrage1.jpg

undercarrage6.jpg

undercarrage4.jpg

undercarrage2.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well done with those undercarriage struts/supports,it's a hell of a fiddly assembly.

As far as the paint finish goes they left the factory gloss but quickly and progressively weathered to a matt finish. This means you can't go wrong lol!

Cheers

Steve

1275GT

Thanks Steve, fiddly is one word for it, but a few others were used !!!

And I'll take your comments on the finish as gospel if you don't mind, and just see how it turns out - I suspect it'll turn out newer rather than older, but we'll see.

Now for the other side..........

Cheers, Neil