Revell 1:16 Rolls Royce Phantom II Continental (1934)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work so far Steve,i think you will be the man i hit up for help when i do my staff car :D

First Name
Richard
Wow Steve,

its been i while since i visited your build, but what a treat it is.

love the walnut, the dash, oh heck love the whole build so far.

keep it up!!

Cheers Richi

J

John Huggins

Looking well cool Steve, i think maybe it's time i did another car im getting the bug.

Keep up the ace work.

John

@Stevekir I'm building a Porsche Boxster at the moment and decided to make it all chromed. I've used a Ford Black laquer from halfords for a base coat and sprayed 2-3 thin coats of chrome Alclad2. There is what I've achieved and I'm quite happy about it!

IMAG0176.jpg

S

Stevekir

I have had a push on this model recently.

Here is the spare wheel and its cover. I asked for help on masking at:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/a-tricky-masking-job.28432/

Here is it finished. Once again the Tamiya synthetic lacquer (TS14 and TS 43) produced a good hard durable shine:

View attachment 90690

I decided that the trunk would look good with a basket-work hamper so I made it (at least, the lid). The Evostick Contact adhesive is to seal the edges ready for cutting to size:

View attachment 90689

View attachment 90696

I used Bare Metal Foil to do the chrome on the adjustment levers on the seatbacks. I find that BMF works for small parts but with big ones the inevitable orange peel effect becomes noticeable (although buffing with a smooth hard tool helps). At one time I thought of attaching a material of some sort to the seats to look like leather, but a very thin one would be needed and the edges and curves are too complex, especially as the they would need seams and stitching. I reckon that the scale would have to be 4 times this size to do that convincingly:

View attachment 90697

Next, assembly of all the pre-painted parts to the body and to the eachother. This was a bit scary. Tiny parts falling off at a touch; danger of scratches; need to keep the polycement off the lacquer (it eats it in a fraction of a second) etc. A small amount of adjustment by sanding was required but not much. It is to Revell's credit that it went together well. I got a replacement for the radiator because the supplied one had a wrinkle on a conspicuous surface and Roll Royce would never have tolerated that.

It is now finished. I will put the glamour pics on to Completed Civilian Vehicles in an hour or so.

MK Academy posted this kit on September 7 2014 at:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/revell-1-16-rolls-royce-phantom.28294/#post-228825

and bluriusz posted his on 15 December, 2102 at:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/revell-1-16-rolls-royce-phantom-1934.17531/

Weaving Finished (small).jpg

Spare Wheel Cover, finished final C (small).jpg

With Rim and Handles- Final.jpg

Seat Chrome (small).jpg

L

Laurie

Wow Steve that is some beautiful work. Very professional indeed.

That wheel is perfection.

Your basket work is a work of art.

All first class stuff Steve. You must have spent some hours on that plus a few more thinking how to achieve what you have. Brilliant bit of work.

Laurie

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Gorgeous work Steve, very well made, quality and something of a pleasure for the eye to see.

Si:smiling3:

M

Mark P

\ said:
No. The instrument panel is also shown with walnut veneer. The instructions state to paint this Revell "Wood Brown", 36382. The box illustration is misleading! I have collected some images from the Internet of burr walnut and will print these (after any scaling) and stick to the surfaces. Or perhaps use one to print a decal using inkjet decal paper. Here are some of those images:
View attachment 78511

View attachment 78512

View attachment 78513

View attachment 78514
I was looking on ebay a couple of days ago Steve and I found some 1/24 sheets of wood effect, I just typed in 1/24 decals