Revell 1/24 VW Samba Bus

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

HI all while trying to decide which major project to take on (1/24 DD Bus or 1/12 Mefestofeles) I decide to have a go at this as a bit of light relief.

this kit has really strange build order in that the body is built round the interior which is ok if you're spraying it normally but the paint job I intend will have some feathering so I need to make sure it will all line up correctly when put together so( I'm hoping this will work ok) I've tacked all the body together so I can spray the body as a whole, thus making sure it will all line up. I will be trying a couple firsts on this kit Alclad 2 and candy colours so wish me luck.

MlF4SHO.jpg

ZrH8WPP.jpg

zONVNWT.jpg

EUt3riV.jpg

M

Mark P

Light relief??? I have known a couple of people really struggle with this one :P

D

Deleted member 3568

After the Citroen surgery on my own brain would be child's play.

M

Mark P

I will be watching this one as its one in the future for me :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 4539

Will be following this ken.

Oh and good luck;)

P

Polux

I have one of these on my stash....not completed and a thread under construction somewhere on this forum :confused:

Sooooo....I will be follow your build with interest ;)

D

Deleted member 3568

I've seen your work of art polux, I'm not aiming that high.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well here is tonights update, to all you Alclad 2 experts out there whats hapening here (it looks more like matt silver than chrome and it rubs off with your fingers) (the few small areas which do look like chrome are hard and dont seem to rub off) I used their black microfiller primer then their gloss black base coat then used the Chrome, do I need to give a second coat of the chrome or what?

MCSNyYh.jpg

lWxy6RJ.jpg

qcIVU2w.jpg

Uuo9pCA.jpg

lkALz5E.jpg

P

Polux

I'm not an Alclad user.....but maybe a second coat will work. Or a third one....

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start Ken,will be watching this one after the last, ;)

First Name
Robert
Nice start Ken I've got this in my stash ( wanted to convert to a T2 ) but it's in my loft for another day/year or until you show me how ( hahaha )

I've read this is a little tricky to put together so I'll defo be watching for tips

Regards

Robert

Z

Ziper_it

Hi,

I'm not an Alclad expert , either but I wonder if you have put too much paint or if you sprayed too far from surface.

Francesco

D

Deleted member 3568

Apparently I've put to heavy coat on it so you're not wrong will strip and try again.

P

Plastickitbasher

Looking good so far, as for the paint try three or four light coats to build up the colour, again I'm no Alclad expert

F

Fenlander

Yep, Alclad isn't like any other paint. Get a good solid gloss black base then very lightly dust on the Chrome very lightly building it up until it looks right. The trick is for the Chrome to stay transparent using the gloss black like the backing of a mirror. If you try to cover in one or two coats it doesn't allow the light to pass through and bounce back so it will just be like silver paint.

Strip it or re gloss black over the Alclad and prepare a test piece at the same time and practice on that first. Quite easy once you grasp the principle. It dries very quick in thin dusted layers so wait a couple of minutes between coats and watch it work, it's like magic when you get it right. As soon as it looks right, stop and don't gloss varnish or anything. It is quite tough when it is fully cured but handle it as little as possible or use those cotton gloves they use for handling museum pieces.

D

Deleted member 3568

No gloss varnish? I was planning to put a candy colour laquer over it, will that react in some way then.

D

dougie

Did you use alclad gloss base? That is a must under shiny metals like chrome, if you get it smooth and very shiny then you get the best finish

D

dougie

Oh yes for the chrome or silvers use like 10-15 psi and the slightest thinnest coats, build it up very slowly and stop when it looks shiny, don't go too far or it goes flat. Have a practice on spoons 45 degrees and a couple of inches back in cross coats

P

Polux

Try the Aqua Gloss Clear (ref 600).

Is acrylic based and don't change the tone or the gloss of the candy colours. Almost they notice on their product....:confused: