Revell 1:32 D.H. Sea Venom FAW 22

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Continuing with the canopy, with the inside masked, on with the paint. Masking the inside didn’t take too long. I basically just followed the outside, if I went a little bit wrong, it didn’t matter.57CA5AD3-E5CC-4020-9026-BC82CAA84CB3.jpeg

Then these things. Wing strakes ? Or did I just make a word up? The kit item was way too chunky so a bit of sanding was required to make things acceptable.
80E47900-AC36-436B-9486-DAFFBC4A02F4.jpeg

Then, time to attach the outer wings.
These big plastic squares keep everything together, and do a nice job as well. Just a bit of fettling was required for a good joint.
BDED5318-34E3-427F-933C-70C355F68A91.jpeg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Wing strakes ? Or did I just make a word up?
These are wing fences. They serve to prevent airflow along the length of the wing, and thereby help prevent the plane from stalling.

A wing strake is a small surface that forms a (more or less) triangle between the fuselage and the front of the wing. Those serve to improve airflow or for better stabilisation.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
These are wing fences.
Nice one Jakko. Having posed the question, I found the following drawing.
forms a (more or less) triangle between the fuselage and the front of the wing.
A bit like what the 'end of the line' Harriers had ?

1673646615821.png

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent work Colin. Good, solid modelling skill - those wing fences look much better and the cockpit is excellent. And not a single piece of AM - just shows what can be done.
Awesome, Paul

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Wing fences look so much better colin , the kit supplied thickness looks about a scale four inches thick !

White Glove Models - Kala

White Glove Models - Kalan
First Name
Kalan
Outstanding work so far Colin! I feel your pain when it comes to certain parts being abnormally thick or larger than they should be. The Wing Fences do look a whole lot better sanded down, and overall, the whole build is coming along beautifully!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
A bit like what the 'end of the line' Harriers had ?
Yes, or for an extreme example, see the F/A-18 Hornet. (Also, there seems to be an overlap in terminology: leading edge root extension, usually used when talking about the F/A-18, seems to mean the same thing as wing strake to some people, but not to others.)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Yes, or for an extreme example, see the F/A-18 Hornet. (Also, there seems to be an overlap in terminology: leading edge root extension, usually used when talking about the F/A-18, seems to mean the same thing as wing strake to some people, but not to others.)
Thanks again Jakko. I did remember the Harriers had a LERX, but couldn't remember what that meant - Leading edge root extension.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I feel your pain when it comes to certain parts being abnormally thick
They would have looked so wrong sat there on the wing in such a prominent position - work was needed. Most of this very old kit is like that, excess plastic that requires removal. Every air scope and vent is filled solid.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Excellent work Colin. Good, solid modelling skill - those wing fences look much better and the cockpit is excellent. And not a single piece of AM - just shows what can be done.
Awesome, Paul
Thanks Paul. Now that raises a question, if AM was available would I have used it ? Fortunately for me it wasn't, but I doff my cap to the scratch builders of this forum. Adding tiny bits of detail takes forever.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
LERX, but couldn't remember what that meant - Leading edge root extension.
I blame the Americans, for always wanting to give things exceedingly descriptive names that make cool abbreviations (X is cool, right? :smiling3: ).

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Great build Colin and you're winning the battle too!!! I love all this wing thingy talk even if I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about...

Prost
Allen

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great build Colin and you're winning the battle too!!! I love all this wing thingy talk even if I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about...

Prost
Allen
I'm learning a few things myself Allen.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A touch more done. The kit rocket launcher rails look a bit clunky but it’s not a huge job to modify, but just makes things look a little better.
DCCFA69C-D8D9-4971-B5C3-17D4F94BC7E5.jpeg

Now then, primer. I’ve been using Stynylrez primer for a few years and really like the stuff. Not anymore. I can’t get this stuff through my ‘big’ airbrush anymore.
Having a look around the web, it seems Badger changed their formula due to the unavailability of certain ingredients. Well, that’s a brand new bottle in the bin for me.
210D022C-7D95-4819-8BBA-9B7D79A341C0.jpeg
To be replaced by this pair. Unfortunately I now have to thin these before use, so they’re not as handy as stynylrez (I never liked that name anyway) but at least these work, well the grey does.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Kits always look bad at this stage, but once the final primer coat goes on, it’s a total transformation.
Nice work so far Colin.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Kits always look bad at this stage, but once the final primer coat goes on, it’s a total transformation.
Nice work so far Colin.
So true, a decent coat of paint makes all the difference.