Revell 1/32 Hawker Hurricane MK1

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi guys

On to the next project another bargain model from Modelzone. I'm going to have ago at some pre-shading advice would be helpful. The version I'm doing has one under wing in black so not sure how to pre-shade that. Would you use a dark grey and then the black over that?

Vaughan

View attachment 33188

Hawker Hurricane.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Vaughan I think for the preshade for black you are going to have a lot of fun. I would suggest that you paint the parts black then post shade afterwards. You might get away with preshading lighter tones but I find that black paints are very heavy pigment wise and cover to well to quickly.

I think I painted my Spitfire black then added a tiny bit of white and did the shading over the top. Nice and slowly building up until I thought it looked ok. Remember to let it dry before you are happy. I was well pleased with the first run. Cleaned the airbrush, washed the mixing pot and all that. Looked at the "finished" paint job only to find the post shading had dried to almost the same black as the base!!

Ian M

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Use full flat black as the pre-shade then add a touch of white to your normal coat of black. After all the underside black would fade a little unless you intend to make it as a freshly painted hurri in which case there would be no need to pre-shade at all

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Both the above. First if you must preshade use black. I reckon you're wasting your time though! Secondly don't spray the black black. It just won't look right on a scale model. I always use a black/red mixture but others use various greys. NATO black,which is actually a very,very, dark green can look good. Afterwards post shade with a lighter mix.

Here's the "black" underside of my Me262 in progress. The camera makes the shading a bit starker than it relly is.

And the finished result

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi all did post my progress with images but they seem to have disappeared so will post again when i have the chance.

Vaughan

M

m1ks

As steve said, straight black is too black on a scale basis, i'm not a big believer in this 'scale colour' theory and think overall it's too much messing, however when it comes to flat black it does definitely look wrong.

I read a few posts from an avid Lancaster builder who typically used a 50:50 mix of flat black and red to get a scale underside black and swore by it and I have to say, his models look excellent, also as per steves, Nato black is a good one, I love the stuff, it's probably my favourite Tamiya paint, good for scale aircraft tyres, and anything that needs to 'look' black on a scale basis, i've used it extensively on my current Ducati 916 build for the engine and frame, (it's not a standard Ducati 916 BTW) :smiling3:

The missing posts are due to some server probs John had and he had to restore an earlier backup so a few dissapeared

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Disappearing posts

Hi all have tried reposting but they seem to have disappeared to. The build has come to a standstill at the moment due to the fact that I'm waiting for a replacement airbrush but here are some images of the build so far I had to remove the gun blisters and canons from the upper wings as the model was a MK2c and not a MK1 as it should have been.

Vaughan

View attachment 33556

View attachment 33557

View attachment 33558

View attachment 33559

View attachment 33560

View attachment 33561

View attachment 33562

hhdf1.jpg

hhdr2.jpg

hhuw.jpg

hhwt.jpg

HHcamo.jpg

HHcamo3.jpg

HHcamo2.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Cracked Canopy

Hi everyone

I need some advice on how to repair a cracked canopy.Whilst masking the canopy I put too much pressure with my scalpel whilst trimming the tape and cracked it see image.

Vaughan

View attachment 33575

cracked canopy.jpg

B

Boldman

Ouch thats painful. I usually stuff the canopy with blu-tac before doing anything with the canopy to give it some measure of structural strength. Afraid I don't have an answer for the crack so hopefully those with more experience will be able to help.

T

treyzx10r

Vaughan sorry to hear about the cracked canopy. I cracked mine on my recent stuka build and used foam safe ca glue(thin) worked well enough that if you're not looking for it its hard to see.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've tried various things to fix this. The best I've done was with some Klear but it isn't an invisible mend. I'd say that if it's going to bother you try and get a replacement. I too stuff parts like that with Blu-Tac before I work on them,it's a good tip. Some clear parts are incredibly brittle!

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Steve

I will try and get hold of Revell but I think in the past people have had problems getting spares. If it had been an Airfix model there would be no problem as I have used their service in the past and they are very good.

Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Nearing completion

Hi all a bit slow on the progress, I will put it down to the nice weather and lack of an air brush. I have all but completed the camo still getting in a muddle with masking off and then realising that I have missed a bit out so have to re-mask again but this will come with practice I guess. The canopy looks ok considering I managed to crack it. Still got to sort out the under carriage and then prep for the decals.

I purchased Revells 1/32 JU 88 at the W/E another bargain from Modelzone coming in at £29 should have been £39 they explained the price reduction because it was released in 2008 and newer models are being released. There are over 100 parts to the cockpit area alone and there are some good reviews and builds out there especially the one by Diedrich Wiegmann there's a lot to live up to as he has done a fantastic build. Any way here are some images of the Hurricane so far.

Vaughan

View attachment 33799

View attachment 33800

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

First Name
Dave
The Hurricanes looking good.I made the Revell 1/32 Ju88 last year.As you say,it has a very detailed cockpit.Took me 3 weeks just to do that part of the kit!.I was disappointed that the kit doesnt include external bombs and racks.I suppose that was to keep the cost of the kit down.Still a good kit though.The undercarriage leg wheel axles are a weak point though.Mine bent under the weight of the model after a few months sitting on a shelf.I've had to reinforce them with metal pins.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The Hurricane is coming along nicely. I also built the Revell Ju88. I found the kit a bit schizophrenic. The large parts fitted extremely well but some of the smaller bits and pieces needed a bit of fettling. I had the same undercarriage issues as Dave. If you want the external bomb racks they are available aftermarket. I'm not at home and can't remember who does them,if you can't find them I can look for you later.

There are some good images of the aircraft that Revell based the kit on here.

JU88.net

And here's my build.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes-helicopters/8617-ju88-next-line.html

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi there Steve

Thanks for the links, your JU88 looks fantastic I think I'm going to struggle big time to get anywhere near the quality of your build it looks very impressive. I'm looking forward to building mine but it wont be for a while as I have to finish the Hurricane, the BF109G6 early version and start on the Trumpeter 1/32 Bearcat F8F-1B that I got for my birthday back in March although looking at your build I might leave the Bearcat till last.

Vaughan

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Steve I don't know if your still about but could do with some advice regarding using model colour gloss as it keeps clogging up my airbrush despite using different quantities of model colour thinner medium. Can I use screen wash or something similar?

Vaughan.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Sorry Vaughan,I don't use that one. Hopefully someone who does will be along.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi all

I have applied a gloss varnish coat of model colour( went on really badly airbrush kept clogging up so not very smooth) and then started on the decals. Going on well although the placement on the fuselage has not gone to plan. I put the roundel in the wrong place so this meant that the letters are also not right.

I have also made the ultimate faux par with the underside of the Hurricane the black wing section is on the wrong side and the decals are already down. When I was painting I had the chart round the wrong way don't Know if this is to do with the fact that I'm dyslexic (thank got for spell checks) I get my left and right mixed up as well as transposing numbers. Anyway will plod on and pay more attention next time.

Vaughan

View attachment 33879

View attachment 33880

View attachment 33881

View attachment 33882

View attachment 33883

View attachment 33884

tail fin2.jpg

underside.jpg

decals1.jpg

roundels1.jpg

tail fin1.jpg