Revell 1/32 Mitsubishi J2M Raiden

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The engine cover has now been stuck firmly in position and it has now had a dose of chipping . I used an old small flat brush which has been cut off to within a couple of mm of the ferrule. This is used to wet the surface and after a few seconds the paint softens enough to gently rub off with the brush , care needs to be taken as it cones off easily due to the coat of hairspray it had before the top colour. I tried to keep it minimal and to areas that I thought would get the most wear ( cockpit sides and wingroots where the pilots would be climbing in , gun access panels and leading edges of flying surfaces )
Here it is now having had a misting of Klear to seal the paint , ready for a light wash to emphasise the lovely detail . View attachment 504217View attachment 504218View attachment 504219View attachment 504220
Now then,what have I told you about showing off eh?!! :thinking::tears-of-joy:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Holy recessed rivets Batman ! Ive made a start on highlighting the lovely detail but jeez ! Theres loads of it! Once ive done the bottom i’ll do the top . The slightly shiny finish the Klear has given is perfect for the airframe but I’m going to give the fabric control surfaces and the anti glare panel a coat of matt as these would have been a lot less shinier. Ive also weathered the prop and sliding section of the canopy .IMG_3733.jpegIMG_3734.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Started the clean up today, bottom came out good , and made a start on the top . The wash isnt as noticeable on the dark green but its not a problem , with the slight sheen of the Klear the rivets and panel lines are quite visible anyway . The main area where you notice it is over the hinomaru and any other markings .Tail and wings done so just the upper fuselage to do now .IMG_3740.jpegIMG_3741.jpegIMG_3742.jpegIMG_3743.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The matt varnish has now been applied , its quite subtle but in the right light you can really tell the difference . Ive now unmasked the canopies so I can fit the throttle levers ( they go on the barrel shape at the top of the port side of the cockpit - they wouldnt have survived the masking ).
Not much left now , just the cannons , pitot, aerial and wire and a little light exhaust staining. IMG_3760.jpegIMG_3765.jpegIMG_3766.jpegIMG_3767.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cannons now fitted , i used brass tube for these as the kit ones were misaligned, plus it means i can have them hollow. The brass tube was flared out at the ends slightly by holding it in a vice and hammering a tapered pin into it . While I had the brass tube out I replaced the pitot as the plastic one was misaligned too.
The aerial has now been added and the wires fitted . One other thing ive had to do is add the position light at the very end of the tail . This was a piece of stretched clear sprue sanded to shape and drilled to simulate the bulb .
The throttle levers have been stuck in and painted , the exhaust stains have been done now and thats it - finito !!
Only 6 months late !
Heres the last few pics on this thread and i’ll take some better pics tomorrow , thanks to all who have been watching/ commenting Cheers tonyIMG_3735.jpegIMG_3736.jpegIMG_3775.jpegIMG_3776.jpegIMG_3777.jpegIMG_3778.jpegIMG_3779.jpegIMG_3780.jpegIMG_3781.jpegIMG_3783.jpegIMG_3782.jpeg

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
My Gawd Tony!!! Big scale or tiny scale, there is no end to your talents to make a kit 100% better than it is. Then, paint it, with painted on markings and weather it to make it look real to boot!!! Respect Sir!!!...

Prost
Allen