Revell 1:32 Mk 22 Spitfire - completed.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
There are quite a few of these being built at the moment and I think we've all discovered some parts of the build challenging ! I had a few problems along the way, but now it's finished I can say it was actually a really satisfying build - or should that say a satisfying result ?? Well anyway, I've now got a 1:32 scale Spitfire sitting next to me, simply because of an impulse buy. It wasn't a model I particularly wanted, but I'm glad I bought it.

View attachment 24430View attachment 24429View attachment 24428View attachment 24431View attachment 24432View attachment 24433

Regards

Colin M....

View attachment 30865

View attachment 30866

View attachment 30867

View attachment 30868

View attachment 30869

View attachment 30870

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

F

frame69

Great job. A friend has a 1.1 model of a Spitfire in his garden.

Frame.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent stuff colin, 5 star build ! Seeing all these spits is making me want one really bad, is that wrong!! great build , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's a terrific result. It goes to show what you can get out of one of these kits. If Mine's even close to that I'll be very happy.

Cheers

Steve

Edit: You've saved me a load of grief posting this evening as I was about to "fix" the split rudder..doh! Thanks.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Ferrets Bueller

Well done colin it looks superb, As said sticking with it pays off with a half decent model.

F

Fenlander

Ahhhh..... I doubt mine will be up to that standard, excellent work Collin and superb paint job. Love the photography to, really shows it off :clap2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well done Colin that looks fantastic. I think I might go as far as saying that if that was parked up next to a Tamiya £100 spit, you would not see the £80 difference!

Five big fat shiny stars from me too!

Those photos really show it off to perfection too!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sod it forgot the stars!!!

B

Bunkerbarge

Just goes to show what a great model you can build from this kit and save yourself 80 quid over a Tamiya one into the bargain! Lovely surface work, the panel lines are spot on and the cockpit is very realistic.

I particularly like the really low shot from the port rear quarter, the fifth one, very realistic view.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thank you all for taking the time to have a look at the "cheap big Spit" If anyone else is tempted to have a go, do it and you will end up with an acceptable / good 1:32 Spitfire. I know the later variants like this one aren't so popular, but it's cheap, so if in doubt have a go. I nearly didn't buy the model, it was only the price caught my eye. The sensible part of me did ask where was I going to put something this big when completed - I normally work in 1:72 !

The build is OOB except for a bit of plumbing around the engine, some brake pipes and harnesses.

We've all been there, you know how it is when you build a model and for some reason it just falls into place, it just looks right. That's what happened to me here. Watch this space, my next build will have just as much effort in the build, but for some unknown reason, just won't be quite right !

Now, I might have learned something here - scale, it helps, I think I'm going to make a big brave step into 1:48 (oh dear, does size matter after all)

Photography is another art all together, one I am really not familiar with. My wife has a brilliant little camera, that helps loads and if possible I try to take the pics in natural light. Some people get great results taking photo's indoors, for me indoor photo's are a bit hit and miss, out of 30 pics I'll delete about 25 ish !

Regards

Colin M.......

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks excellent Colin

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just wanted to say that Colin has made an excellent job of this kit but there is no valid comparison with the Tamiya kit. It's like comparing chalk and cheese. This old Matchbox/Revell kit can be made to look good from a couple of feet away,as we can see,but if you get in close to the detail,both exterior and interior,the thick mouldings etc it obviously comes from a different generation.

I know,I've built both. You do get what you pay for but could certainly argue that the cheap kit is value for money,just in a different way.

Colin if you are "upscaling" maybe you should consider the Tamiya Spitfire. There's no doubt you would do it justice.

Cheers

Steve

M

m1ks

That does look very nice, I'd like to build the Revell MkI version, (was never a massive fan of the later marks spits, prefer the old canopy for one), I keep umming and ahhing about the MkI but as with yourself i'm thinking, size and space.

Are those tyres Rubber, if not how did you paint them, they look very realistic and rubberlike, i've never gotten a finish on plastic tyres i'm happy with.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Know what you mean m1ks. I think the Mk.IX was the last true Spit.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
M1ks the Revell MkI/II 1/32 Spitfire is similar to this one. It needs a bit of work to get anything out of it. It has the same lack of cockpit detail and terrible wheels but with a kit so cheap you might consider some after market enhancements.

The wheels/tyres in the Mk22/24 kit are plastic,I'll let Colin explain what he's done to them.

While you're at it Colin how did you find the decals? They look okay but you never know. I'm tempted by the stripey Hong Kong version.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks Allyne, but I do agree, about the shape of these later Spitfires, an earlier one would have been nice, and I've always prefered the green and brown camo scheme to the grey and green.

Well, the tamiya Spitfire, I'm tempted, but the next big model for me will be the Vickers Valiant, due to be released soon. But I will be having a look at Tamiya's 1:48 offerings. The decals went on great, I use micro sol and set. The white on the decals doesn't seem thin at all and so should cover whatever is underneath.

M1ks, the tyres are from the kit and are indeed plastic. They come in two halves which means a nasty line right around the circumference. So, I sanded this away which made the tyres look quite worn, I'm not sure real tyres would ever get this worn, but it looks ok. Then painted them with matt black, mixed with a touch of dark grey. So, basically the tyres are very dark grey. If you have a look at a car tyre, it's never the same colour all the way around, lots of varying shades. This is were pastels come in. I used a dark grey pastel and brushed it on all over the tyre to get the final effect. It really is easy, anyone can do it, no special skill required. I normally use pastels a lot to finish a model off.

Regards

Colin M......

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Colin, that is one very, very nice model. Although I haven't posted I have been following the progress.

I too like the photography angles.

Yep, all in all a cracking job, well done.

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks for the info Colin

Cheers

Steve

M

m1ks

OK, simpler than I thought and I know about the colour variation, theres always a hint of grey / brown or similar but although I never use a straight matte black (except on very small model planes) I just never seem to get a tyre coloured looking tyre whereas yours on this build look very rubbery and realistic.

So just Tamiya matte black and dark grey, any particular grey?