Revell 1:32 Mk 22 Spitfire - completed.

B

beav1013

great job. excellent paint job. the photos really make it stand out.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
OK, simpler than I thought and I know about the colour variation, theres always a hint of grey / brown or similar but although I never use a straight matte black (except on very small model planes) I just never seem to get a tyre coloured looking tyre whereas yours on this build look very rubbery and realistic.So just Tamiya matte black and dark grey, any particular grey?
I'm actually still using Humbrol enamels, but it wont make any difference what brand is used. And the grey is just a very dark grey, sea grey or something similar.

Thanks Jim, for having a look.

Regards

Colin M...........

T

treyzx10r

I'm with Richard pic #5 just looks soooooooooooooo real .5Star build, you should be very proud

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks Trey,

I'll be honest, I'm not a photographer by any means, I just take loads of pics, and delete nearly all of them saving just a few. Pic 5 was one of the lucky ones that escaped the delete button !

Regards

Colin M........

S

Sweb

Nicely done. I have the same kit. I haven't decided how I will finish and mark it.

If I can be allowed one critical remark: down play the panel lines. Some of the lines depicted on this model scaled up to 1:1 would be in the neighborhood of 9-10mm (3/8 inch) gaps. Like I said, I have the kit and am in the process of filling in all panel lines before I build it. In reality, most of the panels, especially non-removable skins, were lap joints where one skin over-lapped the other rather than butted up together. These can be rendered with a small, subtle line (scribed with a sharp knife through the final finish then dusted with contrasting chalk) and look much more accurate. Most of the removable cowlings and access panels were butt-jointed to be flush with the surrounding skins. Overall, though, nicely done and finished and I hope my critical remarks don't spoil that for you.

Note: None of the model making companies distinguish between lap and butt joints when making molds. They all end up looking like butt joints and this is where their collective efforts to produce truly accurate scale details fall way short. It's a minor point to most and major one to few - like me - who would like them to go the distance. This is due to consumer feedback requesting panel detail work so they compromised by making all joints butt types. It's up to the modeler to know the airplanes - visiting museums, researching published works, etc. - in order to effect the proper look of each type modeled. I'm just an anal aircraft mechanic with 35 years of knowledge and little patience for model companies that have had more years than that to get things right.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hello Sweb,

No problem with your comments, and of course, you are dead right about the panel lines, they are too big. If I was going fill them and re-scribe I would need to make sure they were all in the correct place. Indeed did some, or all of these lines exist. Whilst my skills allow me to scribe the odd panel line or two, to re-scribe a whole model is a bit beyond me. With this in mind, I suppose I am guilty of turning a blind eye to how manufacturers depict there panel lines and willing to accept what they give me.

But again thanks for your input, I'm sure your knowledge will be of great use to many people, including me, on this forum.

Regards

Colin M.......

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks John,

As you may have seen, these models are a little challenging to put together ! So, it's now time for some "Gardennig leave" for me.

Regards

Colin M........

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
down play the panel lines. Some of the lines depicted on this model scaled up to 1:1 would be in the neighborhood of 9-10mm (3/8 inch) gaps. This is due to consumer feedback requesting panel detail work so they compromised by making all joints butt types.
You are absolutely correct on both points. I'm making one of these at the moment and originally intended to fill everything in and do it "properly" but in the end I just couldn't be arsed! Particularly when I spotted a few of the other problems the kit has.

I was surprised that such an old kit had recessed lines at all as I always thought it was easier to make raised lines (obviously resessed on the mould) using the old drawing/tool making techniques. Maybe that's why they are sooo big.

A lot of newer kits have relatively subtle recessed lines largely due to design improvements. Where would they be without their CAD and computer controlled cutting tools? You'll know from looking at the real thing that injection moulding a lap joint,in scale,is not possible. As you said,the manufacturers are trying to give the consumer what he wants but are limited by the technology of the method.

Thanks for the comments. Colin took them in the spirit in which they were intended,as I hope we all would. Learning is the whole point of the forum.

Cheers

Steve