Revell 1/48 F-86D SABRE DOG (early version) NOW COMPLETE WITH BASE & FIGURES """"""""

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Bit of alternative and artistic licence camo going on masking of a number of random panels next before 1st alclad coat more later............ Cheers John View attachment 87241

image.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks great John , its a kit ive always liked the look of , cant wait to see the next update , cheers tony

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Disaster strikes after spraying with alclad and leaving to cure and clear coated I then masked off the fuselage wings etc to spray random panels on removal of tamiya tape and normal decorators masking tape in parts the alclad was lifted in places and now looks rather messed up. I could now strip it down and redo it but will carry on regardless and try to make it look like it's seen plenty of action which is a shame because I was going for a nice pristine look.I will now have to do another plane in bmf just to prove to myself I can get the look I wanted on this one. Having done a bit of research I now know that it was probably my fault that this happened but mainly due to my inexperience with alclad although I have used it before but only in small amounts . But it as been a good learning curve) so I wll be able to take something away from this build and there a nice space at the back of my top shelf for this sabre DOG :sad: Thanks John

D

dubster72

Sorry to hear that John, I've not used Alclad yet but I've heard the learning curve is fraught with pitfalls.

Better luck with your next BMF!

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
the plane is looking well john your masking is very neat , sorry to hear the alclad is a problem I have a 1/72 sc1 to paint and I think I will give the alclad a miss

P

phikoleoputra

Hi John, sorry to hear about the Alclad problem, I never try that product. I use the Mr. Metal Color 211 for my current F-86F build. Quite good that paint.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Thanks lads for your replies after watching a few vids on you tube I'm off down to Halfords today to get a few more products to hopefully increase my chances of success on the next bmf .as I have said in previous post it was mainly my own fault . I didn't achieve the high gloss effect due the the fact I flattened the high gloss black with 12000 grit paper as it was a little rough/ gritty to touch I think I should have then over sprayed lightly with another coat of high gloss black .another factor in my failure was using decorators masking tape on some parts . I will also be purchasing some tac cloths as I feel not using these contributed to gritty/grainy finish although I did a soapy wash and rinse prior to spraying .please don't be put off from the alclad as although it maybe a bit of a science to some people(me) lol it is a great product when applied correctly as I have used it before in small amounts with some nice results .another thing I didn't do was lower the air pressure to 15psi in my airbrush I think it was 20~25 at time of spraying high gloss black and bmf . After acquiring my extra products from Halfords I will be spraying a few practice pieces. I will not be beaten ! by the alclad never give in/up is one of my mottos I live by. Lots of lessons learnt i'll be back cheers John

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Ok after a trip to Halfords and Greggs View attachment 87770

Can't fight on an empty stomach I purchased these items to help me with my little battle with the alclad View attachment 87771

£45 lighter in the wallet but if it helps me get the results I want then in my eyes money well spent as it will enhance future models more pics and progress later thanks for looking/comments John :confused:image.jpg

image.jpg

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
View attachment 87814

Hope this iis glossy enough for the alclad gods ???? And my previous base coat which was a contributing factor to my poor paint job ( after 12000 grit rub down ) my fault not the paint View attachment 87815

airframe aluminium next fingers crossedimage.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Adrian
That's looking rather good :smiling3:

If you do decide to mask off sections again and using Tamiya tape you should take each strip and stick it to your shirt or trousers first to reduce the amount of adhesion it will have on your paint work, I use this method when working with Alclad colours on my Ironman builds which require 3 separate masking sessions, hope this helps

Adrian

First Name
Mike
Looking really nice John

I've had a couple of occasions where I've messed up an Alclad application, but entirely due to user-error - using the wrong primer, or not cleaning the plastic properly before priming. Other than that I've found it the easiest to use, most hard wearing finish ever. It dries rock solid almost immediately, sprays beautifully, and can be masked with virtually anything without lifting. Smells nice too.