Revell 1/48 F-89C Scorpion

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
I started the office giving the tub a coat of aircraft grey and the seat frames. I then did the instrument panels different to how I would usually do them. As the raised details were really good I painted the panels with a coat of aluminium. Once dry I coated them with matt black. To bring out the detail I used a fine grade finishing cloth stuck to a stiring stick. This was then gently rubbed over the detail areas back to the aluminium. I then put gloss varnish in the dials before going on to paint the buttons.Some of the detail painting close up doesn't look great but looking at it normally it looks ok. I then went on and started the pilots wich can be seen in the office unfinished
WOW I wish I had that patience (and eyesight) :smiling3:

Gregg

0ne48thtel

Thanks Ian the hardest part is about to begin. Doing the front cockpit glass from scratch.

0ne48thtel

Thanks guys Joe all Ineed to add is the frame work around it.

0ne48thtel

Ok after 4 goes at this cockpit glass I have hit a wall. I can get the shape no problem but the clear sheet does not want to bend to how I need it. Has anyone out there got any ideas? I have changed the clear plastic but still come up with the same problem. While in a larger piece it seems it will bend around ok. As soon as I get it down the the required size it won't go how I want it. Does any body know of a good clear plastic source that may do the job?

0ne48thtel

Just to add I have tried dipping the plastic in warm to hot water but ended up with something that resembled a clear crisp

K

Kressy_13

Looking good so far mate, as for the glass have you thought of trying to vacuum form it? Not sure how it works exactly but have seen a tutorial for it online somewhere.

First Name
Dave
You could crash mould a new screen. I did it once .Took around 15 attempts but I got there in the end.have a look at my thread to see how I did it.....

Crash forming canopies

Discussion in 'General Aircraft Chat' started by Dave W, Dec 21, 2012.

0ne48thtel

Well here is what I hope will be my final attempt at this particular bit of scratch building. I eventually decided to apply heat with a hairdryer whilst holding the clear piece around a scribe handle. After a few burnt finger tips and blue air a plenty I think it went well. It isn't the best but I think it will do. I cut the frame work out of styrene sheet and stuck it with CA. all I need to do now is fill the gaps and make a few minor adjustments wich won't take to long.

View attachment 76032

View attachment 76033

View attachment 76034

077.JPG

078.JPG

079.JPG

0ne48thtel

Thanks Joe the photos make it look better than it actually is.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Terry. The canopy is sitting nicely by the looks of the pictures.