Revell 1/72 Lancaster B III 'Dambuster'

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
P1370593.JPG

The pile of sprues. I've made a start on the interior colour. I didn't have the pot colour for this, so I've used Vallejo Air.
P1370594.JPG

This will be an O.O.B. build. I don't want nor need expensive aftermarket things. Some of which would never see the light of day once buttoned up. I'm perfectly happy to do without the stuff. Equally, I do like to see others using it. To each his own, as long as none users are not demoted in the ranks..... ;)

I get all my fun and self satisfaction from building what's in the box, or as my good mate Idu would say "Man, dat am de way de cookie am crumblin'"

The model will, as usual, be brush painted. For this model I will be using those little pots of paints and glue that come in Airfix 'Starter' kits.

No primer. I rarely use it. I was surprised how well the green first coat covered the shiny black plastic.

I've made a start painting the fuselage halves too.
I don't use masking tape, preferring to 'Freehand' the lines. There is usually a panel line or summat similar to nudge the brush up to. Any 'wobbles' can be rectified during subsequent coats of paint.

I'm using pot No. 33 for the black and No. 30 for the Dk. Green.

P1370595.JPG

P1370596.JPG

I like to first coat large plastic on the sprues.

P1370597.JPG

P1370598.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Good start Ron :thumb2:

I started one of these earlier in the year it goes together nicely but I ended up running out of steam. It’s still waiting half done, nagging me to finish it :rolling:

Good luck with the rest of your build ;)

Geoff.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
So did you get the repacement fuselage from Revell direct? If so, that was pretty quick.

PS I still don't know how you get your lines so straight. I'd struggle even with masking tape!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It's nice to have you chaps along.....

Geoff. To be honest I was waiting for you to finish your Dambuster', rather than have two identical builds on the go. Sorry to read yours is 'Temporarily' suspended. I guessed that was the reason for it's quiet disappearance.....;)

Dave. The duplicate sprue was on the Airfix Lanc, not Revell. Not so straight lines close up. :upside: But they'll do me.

Jim. So far the kit is fine, but there again I just get on with a build, warts and all.

Pete. Good to have you on board.

Cheers.
Ron

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I have this in the stash Ron
Looking forward to seeing this come together.

ATB.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andrew and Chris. Nice to have you climb aboard too.....

No figures in the kit, but I managed to find me a pilot of sorts in my spares bag.
The cockpit interior will barely be seen, The seating behind the pilot certainly won't, so I've just done enough detail to suffice.
P1370600.JPG

P1370601.JPG

Windows fixed.
P1370602.JPG

Cockpit fixed.
P1370603.JPG

P1370604.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Don't stop now Ron, this was getting really interesting.
Pete

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just as I catch up..... it's over! :sad:
C'mon Ron, it's looking too good to stop now Sir :thumb2:.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
And 'ere was me looking forward to your Mohne Dam dio! Such a pity! :sad:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
And 'ere was me looking forward to your Mohne Dam dio! Such a pity! :sad:
YES Dave same here he cant just pack up come on 570 for us guys as it would be a super dio just think of all that water surgein down the valley an your lanc flyin over it brilliant that would be an you can see if you can fox us all again lol
chrisb

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I was close to leaving this build, but after reading all your nice comments - And a good bo***cking from the wife for being too sensitive, the Lanc. is back on the production line.....

Unfortunately, up to the painting stage, I didn't take any further pictures of the build. Excellent all round fit, with no filler. I don't use the stuff anyway, preferring to bevel the joints to a 'Bees'wing' fit using a file and/or scraping with a blade.

So on to the painting.....

I didn't bother with primers or pre. shade thingies. I leave those to folks with more dedication than me.

I did an in depth S.B.S. on brush painting a Lancaster a while back on here, so it seemed a bit daft to repeat it all again here. So here is a quicky....

Because I brush paint I have no need to mask anything. So no high dramas or time consuming stuff. I like the simple life. ;)

Lines drawn and identified. I always start with the green. The pencil lines show up better than on the brown.
P1370666.JPG

P1370667.JPG

First coat of brown to obliterate the pencil lines.
P1370668.JPG

P1370669.JPG

Second, and possibly the final coat. I'm not bothered about a few 'Patches'. The main aim is to have a smooth surface. I don't like my aircraft squeeky clean anyway.....I've seen the real things too! I'll call it the start of the weathering.;)
P1370680.JPG

Split apart ready to add all the bits and decals. Only then wilI I glue the thing together. I'm finding decaling a lot easier with larger models still in bits.
P1370670.JPG

Cheers all.
Ron

Last edited: