Revell 1/72 Lancaster B III 'Dambuster'

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good to see you back at this Ron. Being able to do this in bits must be so much easier!

ATB.

Andrew

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
So pleased you’ve decided to carry on.
As a new returnee to modelling I admire your OOB thinking. (Albeit I do like an airbrush) - probably because I’m still coming to grips with the differing types of paint.
Keep on building Ron. Your inspirational buddy.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I was just about to demand a full seating refund 570, but now sitting ready for more .
Carry on .
453 .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

Andrew. Yes it is. I obviously marry up the bits before I do any brushwork. To be fair there wasn't much fiing and scraping to do!

Doug. I seen so many tales of 'Anguish and frustration' when folks get perhaps too involved with techniques, that many moons ago I chose to go the easy, none complicated route. After all, I'm only trying to have fun! ;) :thumb2:

453. Good job you chose to sit down again 'cos no refunds for ex. building workers. Especially wood butchers!

Thanks also to Garry and Ian for their encouraging posts.

Update.
I decided the model needed another coat of brown. Then I finished off the rest of the bits and added and painted same.

I'm too impatient, clumsy and tight to use cockpit/turret masks, so I freehand painted these with a very fine brush.

P1370684.JPG

P1370685.JPG

P1370686.JPG

P1370687.JPG

P1370688.JPG

P1370690.JPG

Decals next.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one John. Thank you.
Mind you, you ought to witness the numerous times I sharpen the ends of a cocktail stick removing the excess paint from them there frames!;)

No problem Steve.....

Cheers.
Ron

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
You need to I've yourself more credit Ron, that's looking great!
I am watching with interest as I've just started the same.scale but Hasegawa, will be very happy if it turns out like this!
Have you camouflaged with air brush or hand brush? Looks really good!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks James.
I don't possess an airbrush. I paint all my stuff with paint brushes. The paints used for this model are those little plastic tubs you see with Airfix 'Starter Packs'

It will be interesting to compare kits.....

Cheers.
Ron

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks James.
I don't possess an airbrush. I paint all my stuff with paint brushes. The paints used for this model are those little plastic tubs you see with Airfix 'Starter Packs'

It will be interesting to compare kits.....

Cheers.
Ron
Just out of interest Ron. Those little Airfix tubs! Do you mix them them with any thinner/water. Or paint straight from the tub?
When I did my Sea King I just binned the tubs as they almost looked solid!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for that, James.... :thumb2:

Just out of interest Ron. Those little Airfix tubs! Do you mix them them with any thinner/water. Or paint straight from the tub?
When I did my Sea King I just binned the tubs as they almost looked solid!

Hi Doug. I add tap water to the tubs (or any other of my acrylics) until I get a sort of 'Brush on' consistency. Yes, some of the tubs do settle, but a good stir usually puts things right......

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks chaps.

Andrew. Yes it is. I obviously marry up the bits before I do any brushwork. To be fair there wasn't much fiing and scraping to do!

Doug. I seen so many tales of 'Anguish and frustration' when folks get perhaps too involved with techniques, that many moons ago I chose to go the easy, none complicated route. After all, I'm only trying to have fun! ;) :thumb2:

453. Good job you chose to sit down again 'cos no refunds for ex. building workers. Especially wood butchers!

Thanks also to Garry and Ian for their encouraging posts.

Update.
I decided the model needed another coat of brown. Then I finished off the rest of the bits and added and painted same.

I'm too impatient, clumsy and tight to use cockpit/turret masks, so I freehand painted these with a very fine brush.

View attachment 496170

View attachment 496171

View attachment 496172

View attachment 496173

View attachment 496174

View attachment 496175

Decals next.

Cheers.
Ron

Only the gods know how that'll get off the ground with those tiny stubby wings! Or have you fitted the cockpit at the wrong end and they're the tailplanes?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent observation 'Big Box', but remember, Mr's 'Chucker' Ron can sling anything into the air. My bruises on landing are testament to her efficiency.......

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Pete.

Fuselage decal on. Nice quality. The decals would have you use Gibson's G, but I chopped it off and replaced it with Ken Brown's F for Freddie. He attacked the Sorpe Dam and scored a direct hit but failed to breach the dam.

I had some very bad silvering behind these decals, It looked like the letters were on a piece of silver paper! So I had to resort to brush painting matt black between the letters and roundel on both sides of the aircraft.....
P1370692.JPG

P1370694.JPG

P1370695.JPG

Hopefully the final weathering will remove the rest of the silvering. No big deal, just a bit of a pest.....

Cheers.
Ron

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on beautifully Ron!!

Really looking the business!!

ATB.

Andrew

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Lookin' good as usual.

Talkin' of lookin' - are we goin' to see a dio with the Sorpe dam? Or are you gonna keep us in suspenders about what you're plannin' again?