Revell 1/72 Macchi C.200 Saetta

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
This is the old (ancient) Revell kit of this iconic Italian aircraft. It was the first model I ever built, with Dad in the early 1980s. I remember painting it (it was the overall green version which still crops up from time to time). This version has the great looking Italian 'mottle' scheme. The kit has not changed in all those years, and it certainly shows it's age with flash and crude components.

The box and parts, nicely sealed:

DSC_0267.JPG

No point in hanging around. Putty and sandpaper heaven. If you're into that sort of thing...

DSC_0273.JPG

DSC_0278.JPG

I added plastic card to the floor of the cockpit/roof of the landing gear bays so you can't see straight through later on.

DSC_0279.JPG

I stuck my awesome Italian pilot onto his sofa of a cockpit seat, and primed the Saetta. The cowl is stuck on with bluetac so I can remove it afterwards for it's yellow and bronze paint.

DSC_0283.JPG

As my build rate has suffered (standstill) for some time, my objective is to finish this soon (yeah right).

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

that certainly goes together very quickly! This kit reminds me of those short run kits which are horrendous to put together.

Good to see you have the main parts together despite it's quality

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
that certainly goes together very quickly! This kit reminds me of those short run kits which are horrendous to put together.

Good to see you have the main parts together despite it's quality

Again, it's an old kit so you go with what you have, but it falls together really. The difficult part was the landing gear, and masking the tiny canopy.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
theres one from the past! i can remember building that as a nipper

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great start joe , its good to get back to basics now and then , and they dont come much more basic than this veteran moulding!! Cant wait to see the paint go on , cheers tony

F

Fenlander

Not familiar with this aircraft.  Is it me or does it look like it was designed to have a different engine to the one it ended up with?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Not familiar with this aircraft.  Is it me or does it look like it was designed to have a different engine to the one it ended up with?

Macchi was forced to use a radial engine in the Saetta; Italian development of liquid-cooled engines was not up to speed at the time of the aircraft's introduction. It was pretty much obsolete at the start of the Second World War. The C.202 Folgore was a development of the C.200, strapping a Daimler Benz 601 engine to the airframe and altering the fuelage accordingly. The Folgore turned out to be one of the best fighters of the war.

Having said that the Saetta did serve in all the major Italian campaigns, and on the Eastern Front had a kill to loss ratio of 88 to 1!

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Pressing on. The engine cowl, propeller and engine are ready for installation later:

DSC_0313.JPG

The yellow/brown colour was sprayed on after the white fuselage band was masked off. The colour is a bit washed out in this photo, I've been using my cellphone camera.

DSC_0325.JPG

Once that was dry, I added random blobs of tac. Once ready, i will spray the next colour, a dark brown, and repeat the exercise once more for the final green colour. It's got Macchi pox!

DSC_0332.JPG

DSC_0333.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks Patrick. Me too!

Masked with blobs of tac for the green, and the final top colour sprayed on. This particular pot of paint is over 20 years old now and sprays very nicely and evenly! Humbrol went through a patch of bad paint products, the very old tins and the brand new tins have been superb.

DSC_0336.JPG

DSC_0337.JPG

Waiting for it to dry overnight and then I will reveal the camouflage scheme. Probably going to need touch ups on the underside I suspect.

D

Doug Hughes

Ah yes - the warts. I remember them well! Looking good, Joe - looking forward to seeing the finished job.

First Name
Dave
That's a great idea for the camo scheme. I'd never have thought of doing it that way. Looking forward to the blobs coming off.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Revell did several of the well known WW2 fighters in that series during the mid/late 1960s - Zero, Hurricane, Spitfire, Me109 et al. I still have a P 47 somewhere. Although they may not have been the best detailed,  they were good enough at the time, and went together well.

I remember reading somewhere that they were nearly all a bit undersize, working out at about 1/75