colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well it was a toss up between the Airfix and the Revell version of the new moulds tail dragging Shackletons. Even though I'm a big fan of new Airfix offerings, I went for the Revell Growler based on surface detail alone really. Which of course meant I had to wait. Whilst Airfix Shack's were popping up, I had to wait, and wait. I'm not very good at waiting.

Anyway, this turned up a day or two ago.

The box, normal open end type of Revell box.

IMG_0123.JPG

The instructions, nice.

IMG_0127.JPG

Decals, lots of for the use of.

IMG_0129.JPG

Just a couple of sprue shots,

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

So, today I fully intend to immerse myself in.......................decorating. But, when the bathroom is done, sprue cutting shall commence.

Colin M....

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
There looks like some great detail on this one Colin.

Well I've just pulled up my chair, but hurry up with the bathroom Colin, just like you I'm not a very good waiter.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Just been looking at the 2015 new tooling Airfix version as my father in-law flew them in the Far East in the early 60's. His was an MR.2 in 205 squadron and the Airfix has those markings. But looking at your sprue shots they look very detailed. The Airfix version does come with weighted wheels, but I'm sure you could get resin versions. The rivet detail looks very good vertually none on the airfix and the panel lines are very deep. Looking forward to this build.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

Read a review on this the other day by a very experienced and good aircraft modeller that as good as dismissed the comments about the fuselage shape being out. They gave this kit a great review and a huge thumbs up. He also had been waiting for the Revell kit over the Airfix one. And it has the 'spark plug' sticking out the top that first caught my eye on the MR 3/3 that they have at Newark. Looking forward to seeing it build up Colin.

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm sure I read a description of the Shackleton saying it was "10000 rivets flying in close formation!" Looking at the details here, I can see where that comes from!

I would like to build one but haven't decided which one to get. Will you keep us posted on the build please?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
father in-law flew them in the Far East in the early 60's
That's nice to know Vaughan. As this is a relatively modern plane I've been able to find a few accounts from crew about living with the Growler, even one account from a pilot's wife !

\ said:
Will you keep us posted on the build please?
Indeed Dave, the work starts tonight.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
That's nice to know Vaughan. As this is a relatively modern plane I've been able to find a few accounts from crew about living with the Growler, even one account from a pilot's wife !
Yippee

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I'll be watching!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I've just bought the April edition of FlyPast and would you believe it it has a whole spotlight section on the Avro Shackleton and not just that but the photo of the crew stood next to a Shackleton of 205 squadron is in fact my father in law Vic Millard(first left). He past away in 2006 and I never had the chance to have any real conversations about his days in the RAF. My mother in law has the original photo which I have quickly photographed with my iPhone details of the crew are on the back. The photo is very precious to her so she wouldn't let me take it from her house to scan it. She also has his flight log of all the Shackleton's he flew in plus other aircraft during his career in the RAF. I'm still undecided which Shackleton to go for but the Airfix version does have the 205 markings albeit from the 70s.

shackleton.jpg

IMG_7881.jpg

IMG_7875.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well Vaughan, with such a personal attachment to an aircraft, that is going to be a great build, which ever you go for. So, maybe it's time for an opinion on the Revell 'Growler'

It's quite obvious that the Airfix version has a lot more detailed interior. That's good but how much will be visible ? Whereas, the Revell has great exterior detail. Having said that, the Revell is sparse to the extreme.

This is the cockpit.

Lack of detail.JPG

Believe it or not, I've actually added a few bits here to liven it up a bit. But that didn't do much so, even though I said a long time ago, no more 1:72 PE, I had to get this.

The answer.JPG

So, blue seat belts - what's not to like ??

Blue seat belts.JPG

The below is the Fwd gunner (no guns on this variant) / aimer position. It was completely devoid of any detail, so lots of old PE was slapped on to bring it to life. More work still required in this area.

Forward seat.JPG

However, my kit is not without it's problems. Glazing,

Glazing.JPG

That's a bit rubbish - email sent to Revell, but no reply as yet.

Also, I do have a few bits of flash to contend with.

flash.JPG

The flash isn't a major issue, but with a brand new tool kit, I was expecting something better. In fact overall, the fit is not as good as any of the New tool Airfix kits I've built recently. Most of which were built with out any filler. This Revell new tool is absorbing small amounts of filler quite frequently.

Colin M....

F

Fenlander

I watched the Flory models YouTube review of the Revell kit just the other day and the glass work was loads better than that Collin, keep trying with Revell, that is definitely a bad batch.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice start Colin , I agree with graham though - keep bugging Revell , that is obviously a duff clear sprue . cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Those kit parts don't look too good Colin. I thought the Revell new tool kits were supposed to be pretty good, but that looks like it comes from one of their old Monogram moulds from 40 years ago!

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well Colin I'd like to say I can see a great start, but not through that glazing :smiling3: .

Keep at them Colin

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well that's two emails I've sent to Revell and still no reply. I even attached a picture with the last email.

I could try polishing, but the fault seems to be all the way through the parts. Quite honestly, I would sooner be doing something more interesting the polishing duff parts.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking good Colin don't know how you work with the PE it's so small. Good luck with Revell hope they reply, you must have just got a duff one. I have just ordered mine off Amazon from Models4Hobby should be arriving tomorrow and picking up the Airfix version from my LHS on Saturday couldn't find it cheaper on line. Both early Birthday presents for next week.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
looking forward to seeing the progress on this and what a fantastic tie in to your family history.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Looking good Colin don't know how you work with the PE it's so small. Good luck with Revell hope they reply, you must have just got a duff one. I have just ordered mine off Amazon from Models4Hobby should be arriving tomorrow and picking up the Airfix version from my LHS on Saturday couldn't find it cheaper on line. Both early Birthday presents for next week.
Nice one, so you can do a real side by side comparison.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Phill Florys review on the Revell Shackleton is very promising he's not so keen on the Airfix Mk2 which he mentions briefly at the beginning. I think it's down to the lack of rivet detail but I'm still going to give it a go.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, a nice review by Mr Flory above. I really hope his kit is far better than mine.

Revell finally told me replacement parts are on the way, in about 4 to 6 weeks. I suppose that's because Germany is absolutely thousands of miles away from the UK. 4 to 6 weeks, flippin' heck, I think Hitler crossed Europe quicker than that !

Anyway, clam, calm, moving on.

I've done some work on the slightly drab cockpit, and made it a little less drab.

From this,

Cockpit1.JPG

To this, with the help of Mr Eduard.

Cockpit2.JPG

cockpit3.JPG

I've used a bit of a wash around the 'pit which is a bit more visible in real life.

The forward seat thing, nearly finished. Plasticard, old PE and bits of wire were used here to liven it up a bit.

Fwd seat.JPG

However, as I can't put the fuselage together (due to the saga of the clear sprue) I've started various sub assembly's. So, all the engines have been built and fitted to the wings. But as you can see here, the gaps were quite bad. Every engine needed a bit of filler around the edges. In fact, this is what I'm finding all over, the fit just isn't great. Now this doesn't make it a bad kit, but it's not what I would expect from a new tool kit. I bet the Airfix new tool Shackleton is a much better fit.

The cooling vents can be positioned open or closed, mine are closed, but I did thin the trailing edges down quite a bit to make them a bit more in scale.

Engine gaps.JPG

I hate to say it, but the disappointment in this kit is taking its toll, I think I'm loosing interest...................oh look - squirrel.....................

Colin M...