Rice paddy?

D

Dave1973

Can I ask for some direction on this please?

I've got a small 1:72 scale Huey, which I want to do as a Vietnam dio, with it landed in a rice paddy.

Therefore, I'm going to need to make the rice paddy and insert the helo with skids sunk.

I was looking at real water, but being new to modelling, let alone the concept of diorama building, I'm worried I'm biting more than I can chew. Has anyone used this or similar stuff? How would I create the effect I want?

Any and all help, much appreciated.

Thanks.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this may help,for the rice use the bristles of an paint brush,,cut too waist high of a 1.72 figure,

then use white glue,PVA, and have in small clumps,and glue down

and for the water use clear resin or one of the water effects you can get,

can find out just by useing google modeling water effects,, ;)

First Name
Dave
Dave, have a look at Deluxe materials range, I believe they do substances that replicate water really well, it may also be worth perusing some of the British model railway modelling forum and model railway related products. Hope this helps.

Other than that, I understand that you can use a painted sub base then lay on various layers of gloss varnish, it takes a while to build up the layers but the effects are worthwhile. Some who use this effect also use a hair dryer to cause ripples in the surface of the final thicker coat.

Let me know how you get on.

EDIT:MONICA BEAT ME TO IT!

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great minds Dave, :D ,

or if your got lots off cast can always buy grass tuffs to use,:confused:

D

Dave1973

Thanks!

Ok, so the grass tufts for rice is sorted, using brush bristles.

I'm looking at Still Water by Vallejo, but then have just looked at some vids showing epoxy 2 part stuff but can't find it anywhere.

I'd like to use the epoxy, as I can mix some muddy brown in it to create the paddy water

D

Deleted member 4203

I can't think of what would be best, i've never used water effects so experimenting with it is always good :D :smiling3:

Last edited:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
There are some great tips on creating a rice paddy, but my question would be how will you create the down wash of a helicopter rotor?

N

noble

Dave a product called scenic water, I used to use this all the time and it looks great when applied, it comes in a ready to pour bottle. Follow the directions to the letter and you won't have any problems.

Scott

D

Dave1973

Thanks, I'm looking at scenic water now too, and also using some plain old super clear epoxy resin. After reading your suggestions, and doing some more research, I think this is that way to go: see below

If I make the diorama fitting the tufts in place, and also placing the helicopter and figures, I can then make a boxing round the dio, and pour in the resin, to give me the base water for the paddy field. Forgot to say, I'll mix some red/Browns with the epoxy to get a muddy water colour.

As im making this using the Helicopter pilot set standing outside, I don't need to worry about rotor wash, as the chopper will be off. My thought was making a Laager diorama, the recon chopper out waiting for tactical instruction. I've seen a few photos of hues sitting in laager areas eating chow etc, and thought it would be different.

Thoughts on my idea and procedure?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I use two part epoxy, great stuff, no shrinkage, however, a word of warning depending on what you add can mean it will not go off properly.

If it is 1/72 scale I would be tempted to use epoxy, any large and scenic water.

D

Dave1973

Damnnit!

Might have to take another approach on this.

Even though I've got a few pics in books of hueys in rice paddies, they all seem to be running, with grunts running either away or towards the helo.

Because I've got these Pilots outside the helo, every pic I can find of their laager areas were on dry ground, not paddies.

So, do I continue with my idea of a ride paddy, and get some 1:72 grunts in action, which means I then need to devise a way of making the water look like its disturbed by down wash, or do I make an easier dio on dry ground with the pilots?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ron uses that clear bath sealant you get in tubes to use in a mastic gun and gets some amazing results with it. He's done some demos somewhere that would be worth looking at.

Alternatively, this guy has done some reviews on an assortment of the water effects stuff you can buy:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave - sorry, Uncle Fester- I always use household varnish for 'flat' water, with the base painted a suitable colour, the varnish allows the colours to come through.

However, for rough or rippled water I use clear silicone (In a tube) this allows the formation of crests and waves. I've tried these resins, but I find they seem to invariably dry opaque or at least have a blue / milky tint to them when dry. Also, I found them impossible to work with and just flattened out almost like self leveller on floors. I also find the mixing a bit of a bind trying to get the hardener / resin the right amount. To each his own, but I just don't like resin....Perhaps I just like the easy option!

I have just had a go with silicone to see if it would work for your intended diorama. All a bit rushed, and I don't know what a real rotor wash would look like! But the result is not too bad - please excuse the wrecked helicopter!

You could then take the excellent help re. the paddy field and stick in the vegetation and then perhaps bend them over into the silicone.....

View attachment 123114

View attachment 123115

View attachment 123116

I hope this little experiment is of some use to you. Post up if you need any more help...That's what we are all here for.

Cheers,

Ron

odds and sods 2 065.jpg

odds and sods 2 066.jpg

odds and sods 2 067.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
My apologies for leading you just a little way up the garden path Dave! I completely forgot Ron (sorry mate) uses varnish as well!

Now all we need is a quick tutorial on how you got those effects Ron. They're amazing!

D

Dave1973

HOLY CRAP, that is seriously impressive Ron!

Tell you what, I'll supply the materials, fish and chips and all the tea you can drink, and you teach me as your Jedi student!

Really impressed, gives me more desire to change my idea to the hovering helo!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Tell you what, I'll supply the materials, fish and chips and all the tea you can drink, and you teach me as your Jedi student!

Oi young Dave! Stop tryin' to jump the queue! I was first in line to become Ron's paduan learner!

Sheeesh! Have you folks noticed how close you have to watch these young whippersnappers nowadays?

D

Dave1973

\ said:
Oi young Dave! Stop tryin' to jump the queue! I was first in line to become Ron's paduan learner!
Sheeesh! Have you folks noticed how close you have to watch these young whippersnappers nowadays?
You snooze you loose! Lol, ok ok, look, how about you learn all his tricks, and then I'll be YOUR Paduan?

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I did see some were that with the silicone,you are meant to be able to add vinegar to it to thin it down and make

it more easy to use and spread,:rolleyes:

I did see it on youtube some time back,

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:

You will soon realise, where there water in a dio, Ron is always somewhere near by....................