Rick’s 1/48 Airfix Sea King HAS5

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I’ll be starting this tonight, in the boring grey scheme. Although the red & grey is quite eye catching I’d prefer a Gannet based cab when decals can be located.
60BFD29E-A32A-4930-81CC-06B296A51D7B.jpeg

A quick look in the (jam packed) box has got my tail wagging. Moulded in the new harder plastic the detail is superb. It’s clear there is a HAR3/3A & HC4 coming in future releases.
Chocks away!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
This is high on my wish list. Like you Rick, I'd prefer to have it in the Gannet SAR colours. Although I spent 8 years on 819 from Mk2's to 5's and 6's. So a dark sea grey would be ok with me too.
Looks a very good kit, right down to the sonar/radar suite in the rear business end.
If your going to blog this un I'll grab a front seat please.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This is high on my wish list. Like you Rick, I'd prefer to have it in the Gannet SAR colours. Although I spent 8 years on 819 from Mk2's to 5's and 6's. So a dark sea grey would be ok with me too.
Looks a very good kit, right down to the sonar/radar suite in the rear business end.
If your going to blog this un I'll grab a front seat please.
My preference would be for a HAR3 of D flight 202 sqn. A Gannet cab is on the list because they were our sister SAR flight in Scotland, I like the Saltire emblem on the nose too.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
My preference would be for a HAR3 of D flight 202 sqn. A Gannet cab is on the list because they were our sister SAR flight in Scotland, I like the Saltire emblem on the nose too.
Myself and a Lt/Cdr set up the SAR flight back in 89 from 2 of 819's pingers. (The squadron was already doing SAR duties but at 90 minutes notice so we usually picked up the long range stuff where time wasn't so much a priority). Then in 89 we were told to move to 15 minutes notice, the same as you RAF guys at Leuchars and Lossie).
We had to have 2 x Mk 6's which annoyed the squadron as we a mix of Mk 5&6's. (819 only had 6 cabs!) Initially we had standard Mk 6's in the standard dark sea grey livery. I left in 90 and shortly after that they changed to the Grey/red livery with the Saltire added to differentiate from 771 SAR cabs at Culdrose. In the end the role of the SAR moved from 819 to 771NAS. All be it 771 is based at Culdrose in Cornwall the aircraft were permanently detached to Gannet at Prestwick airport.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sorry to go off topic but with all this SAR talk I often wonder if you guys ever ran into my little brother, MACR Rich Taylor?

He tells me little about his career in the RAF but I know he was based mostly at Valley. However he did the rounds as many seem to do, was a SAR instructor for a bit, and was crewed with a rather well known pilot at one time.

It seems like it would be a rather tight community where you would each know, or know of each other, but I could be completely wrong :smiling5:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Sorry to go off topic but with all this SAR talk I often wonder if you guys ever ran into my little brother, MACR Rich Taylor?

He tells me little about his career in the RAF but I know he was based mostly at Valley. However he did the rounds as many seem to do, was a SAR instructor for a bit, and was crewed with a rather well known pilot at one time.

It seems like it would be a rather tight community where you would each know, or know of each other, but I could be completely wrong :smiling5:
Rick may be the best guy for this Andy. RN and RAF crews rarely met up, even on a job your just a face inside a helmet.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Rick may be the best guy for this Andy. RN and RAF crews rarely met up, even on a job your just a face inside a helmet.
It's exactly the same in the Army as well.. I've lost count of the amount of times somebody asked me ''did you know my uncle,cousin,dad...etc....his name is bob, and they called him nobby ?...etc''

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Rick, if you need any pics of the inside of a Mk 5, (Don't know which one you're building). I have a couple of pics which shows the avionic set up. The inside of the back of a Mk2 and Mk 5 are virtually the same. It's the Mk 6 where major changes were made to the avionics.
I also notice that Airfix are showing the SU, (Submersible Unit or dunking sonar) as having a pale yellow top. (Vanes). This is not the case. It is more a buff colour, again, I have a couple of images if needed.
Doug

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Rick, if you need any pics of the inside of a Mk 5, (Don't know which one you're building). I have a couple of pics which shows the avionic set up. The inside of the back of a Mk2 and Mk 5 are virtually the same. It's the Mk 6 where major changes were made to the avionics.
I also notice that Airfix are showing the SU, (Submersible Unit or dunking sonar) as having a pale yellow top. (Vanes). This is not the case. It is more a buff colour, again, I have a couple of images if needed.
Doug
Send them over Doug. I was going to ask you for your input along the way.
Thanks.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick

It depends when he was in. I was at Lossiemouth from oct 2002 to august 2005. Although the aircrew may have rotated through squadrons and flights or course and FI deployments the ground crew rarely did in my experience. Rich Taylor is a common name and it doesn’t ring any bells.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
And why am I convinced there will be a HAR3/3A & HC4? The HAR3/3A is the RAF yellow variant.
There are domed observation windows, two pressure refuel points - one below and one aft of the cargo door. The refuel point aft of the door is suitable for both marks. A blanking plate is provided for the point not being used.
See below.
IMG_1918.jpeg
There is a troop step and IR jammers for an HC4 (and possibly an AEW/ASaCS).
IMG_1906.jpegIMG_1922.jpeg
For an HC4 additional sprues for the fixed sponsons will be required. I counted 21 troop seats in this boxing - how many troop seats in a HAS5 v HC4?

Three lenses for the pilots and observers controllable spot lamps are on the clear sprue.
IMG_1923.jpeg
An early or later HAR3 with the metal blades, FOD deflector and Deccan blister is possible.
IMG_1908.jpegIMG_1912.jpeg
Composite blades, an EAPS/SNIPS intake filter and MSS/FLIR turret for later HAR3’s are on the sprues.
IMG_1915.jpeg
I have noticed that the wheels do not have weight on wheels tyre sag.

Last edited:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
And my progress so far.
The IP and console are super detailed and include the tail wheel lock and parking brake handles.
The broom cupboard aft of the cockpit is also detailed including the relief (pee) tube.
I haven’t glued the seats onto the deck yet, I’m using the locating holes as a jig while the seat brace cures to ensure they align correctly.
IMG_1948.jpegIMG_1947.jpegIMG_1946.jpegIMG_1945.jpeg

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Oh yum! Looking forward to this - I had plans (once) to build a Mountain Rescue moorland scenario with a poorly dressed muppet on the deck with MR guys observing - never came to fruition as I lost the wing-fing mojo! Watching with interest!
Steve

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I will sneak and watch.Love a Seaking.Im sure i shall be getting a couple.Im sure in the next year or so we will see an RAF one in yellow and maybe Junglie.Im sure the after market guys will be beavering away on decals for U.K etc.Ive seen a few built up online and looks really great.And having the sidedoor open is a big plus.Im pretty sure that a resin or 3D bagger version will appear sometime.
Watching from the stalls.
Richard

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
And my progress so far.
The IP and console are super detailed and include the tail wheel lock and parking brake handles.
The broom cupboard aft of the cockpit is also detailed including the relief (pee) tube.
I haven’t glued the seats onto the deck yet, I’m using the locating holes as a jig while the seat brace cures to ensure they align correctly.
View attachment 489642View attachment 489643View attachment 489644View attachment 489645
So glad they included the pee tube. (Emergency communication system).
I’ll tell all later!!