Rick’s 1/48 Airfix Sea King HAS5

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I’ve assembled all of the interior role equipment racks. Next step is chucking some paint on it.
This kit uses an internal “shell” to house the cabin interior and there are very shallow ejector pin marks that I hope will be hidden behind the consoles etc. Other marks may use the troop seats to cover these up.

While the cabin and interior await painting I jumped ahead a little and assembled the landing gear bays of the sponsons. They go together so easily with positive engagement and are detailed enough to not require after market etch. Some modellers may want to add brake hose and harness detail.
IMG_1973.jpegIMG_1976.jpegIMG_1977.jpeg

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Regards the G/Box sight glass, how easy would it be to insert a piece of transparent plastic or such. I mean most sight glass was stained with oil anyway!!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
From memory Rick, I believe the two collectives were identical. This was due to either pilot could carry out all functions due to the length of sorties we flew. (We'd regularly do double bubbles - 2 x 4.5 Hr sorties.)
That may be the case for RN cabs and would make sense but I am not sure about the RAF marks. I need to see a photo or find my course notes to confirm.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Some builders are concerned of the cockpit glazing as its multipart constuction rather than one whole moulding.Interesting to see if there are any issues doing this.Knowing my shaky hands id make a dogs dinner of it if im brave to buy one.
Richard
I can understand that but one build I have seen reports the fit excellent. I’ll find out for myself soon!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Interesting to see they’re taking aftermarket detailling sets into account with that second windscreen. My experience is that plastic kit manufacturers don’t usually do this unless they intend to sell a set like that themselves.
Another neat touch is the screen wash nozzles moulded on too.
IMG_1936.jpeg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Rick regards the pics of the attachment at the rear of the Sea King.

A chap on Navy Net came up with these images, better quality. Still no idea of what for but as I mentioned to him, can't be for any significant armament as it's way outside CofG limits IMHO!!

Maybe you can make more sense of them.
87134_1506621034-1.jpg
To me, it looks like the profusion could rotate, maybe a camera or some sort of sensor!!
Evidently the aircraft sits in an aero park in Doncaster I believe!!
87134_1506621034.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks like trials equipment and possibly a weapons station. I poked around on line and found this cab was at a trials unit, the nose art is a clue to torpedo trials perhaps. I’m sure I’ve seen a torpedo fitted to this position in other photos.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That may be the case for RN cabs and would make sense but I am not sure about the RAF marks. I need to see a photo or find my course notes to confirm.

My course notes aren’t explicit, but they suggest only the pilots collective has the friction device...as if. It is a massive issue.
2750D58F-1B7C-40F1-826F-A6B69CC1815E.png

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Para 18.
By deselecting a circuit breaker up front. It is possible to exceed 8 knots.
One of the pilots I regularly flew with would hand aux hover to me. Cry our ‘bruiser loose’ (missile away), and I would push the aux hover fwd pushing up to 90knots then he would operate the cyclic and pedals and we’d do a wing over!!!
Cracking laugh!!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Some more sub assemblies.
The main landing gear is nicely rendered with torque links and mooring shackles to add individually, the shackles could be posed with tie downs if desired I guess.
The blade sock tie down loop is solid so I drilled this out. The gear down indicator brackets are a bit chunky.
IMG_1994.jpeg

The tail wheel yoke is a two part affair.
IMG_1995.jpeg
Although the tail and main wheels are accurately detailed the tyres don’t have any weight on wheels sag which is a real shame because Airfix are usually pretty good at capturing this feature.
IMG_1996.jpegIMG_1997.jpeg

Two aft cabin fabric bulkhead screens are supplied.
IMG_1998.jpeg

The tail rotor pylon is a multi part fit and goes together easily but needs sanding down of the join along the inclined drive shaft tunnel cover. The IGB mesh screen is an insert and includes the filler point.
IMG_1999.jpeg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Some more sub assemblies.
The main landing gear is nicely rendered with torque links and mooring shackles to add individually, the shackles could be posed with tie downs if desired I guess.
The blade sock tie down loop is solid so I drilled this out. The gear down indicator brackets are a bit chunky.
View attachment 490053

The tail wheel yoke is a two part affair.
View attachment 490054
Although the tail and main wheels are accurately detailed the tyres don’t have any weight on wheels sag which is a real shame because Airfix are usually pretty good at capturing this feature.
View attachment 490055View attachment 490056

Two aft cabin fabric bulkhead screens are supplied.
View attachment 490057

The tail rotor pylon is a multi part fit and goes together easily but needs sanding down of the join along the inclined drive shaft tunnel cover. The IGB mesh screen is an insert and includes the filler point.
View attachment 490058
Looking good Rick, shame about the wheels but it's not the end of the world I guess. Yeah, the kitchen curtains are a nice touch.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
More progress on the sponsons. These are a multi part assembly which is why I’ve done it over a few nights. This panel over to top of the LH sponson was a bit proud and required some trimming of the LG compartment below. A little bit of filler was needed.
IMG_2005.jpeg
IMG_2006.jpeg
IMG_2007.jpeg
The main rotor head was started tonight too. The limitations of injection moulding are obvious with this part as the blade fold equipment is too complex to recreate.
There are five drag dampers and pitch change horns & links to add.
IMG_2009.jpegIMG_2008.jpeg
IMG_2012.jpegIMG_2011.jpeg
I’ve opted for the folded option. To start with the 3 & 4 blade hinge need to be fitted. Careful clean up is needed and looking a step ahead is recommended because the drag dampers go on next and attach to a semi circle moulding.
IMG_2015.jpeg

With all five drag dampers fitted.
IMG_2016.jpeg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Time for some paint. But first I’m having some trouble figuring out if the cabin floor has the black anti-slip panels, is plain grey or has the wet fit floor/sea tray. The Airfix instructions aren’t that helpful to be honest.
Bear in mind this is a HAS 5.
Hoping @Waspie will have some insight.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Hi Rick, from memory, the cabin deck did have black anti slip panels.
In the back, the working area!!! From the two rear system operators seats aft to the kitchen curtain. Sliding door to the port side. That area was covered with a sea tray. The troop seat legs were partially covered. The legs sat in holes in the sea tray. I hop that makes sense. I'll have a look in a minute but I can't remember if I have any images of the sea tray.
The sea tray was a plastic or rubberised compound and light grey in colour.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I’m familiar with the wet fit floor/sea tray; the navy type is different (because they’re the navy). Just want to have an idea of the position of any anti slip areas.

Last edited: