Rick's Airfix 1/72 Avro Shackleton MR2

First Name
Simon
I have seen on another forum a method where you dip cotton wool in boiling water and use this to press the decal down, the heat helps the decal to conform to whatever's under it.  Rubber gloves are recommended and I use the little circular pads of cotton wool that are sold for removing makeup.  I've used it few times fairly successfully with Airfix decals though never on anything as big as that fairing under the roundel.

Hope this helps,

Simon

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is just nasty. The hot pad might work but I see cursing in your immediate future...

I normally resolve my issue s with micro-sol and or warm water, but I've never seen one that bad.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Oh dear, that's a tricky one Rick. First thing that came to mind was to cut the GT from the white number panel. At least then you can manipulate that part over the bulges a bit easier. After that, not sure, maybe cut and place in pieces, filling with paint as required? The hot pad idea is worth a go I suppose. Lots of decal solution... Or paint that white panel and place the numbers on it individually.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Some careful cutting with a scalpel and plenty of decal softener has made a big difference but I still have some silvering and it isn't really that neat. Some paint touch up will be required.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Is ti possible to repaint in between the GT letters Rick? Hopefully you can fill in the white bits easily enough with white. Bit of a nightmare decal that one!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
With a very sharp blade, stab all the silver bits, then apply the decal softener of your choice. I had a similar problem on my Shackleton (Revell

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
With a very sharp blade, stab all the silver bits, then apply the decal softener of your choice. I had a similar problem on my Shackleton (Revell

I've done this already (it was actually much worse) but as you can see it will need another go to clear it up. The macro on the camera is brutally honest isn't it!? I'll get there.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've done this already (it was actually much worse) but as you can see it will need another go to clear it up. The macro on the camera is brutally honest isn't it!? I'll get there.

Yes the camera shows so much more than we can see. Well the next step maybe to weather it to death !

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
How about if you carefully cut all the clear film with a new blade, the soften it with decal solv and peel it off while wet. As for the white decal I'm sure a careful touch up will cure that.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Now that my Mig-21 & Dauntless are off the bench I have picked this up again, actually I have been picking at it here and there. So, touch up of the roundel has been done along with finishing the full decal set, other work includes sealing coats of gloss and Matt varnish, a pin wash and exhaust staining.
Lots of appendages have also been done - flaps, main landing gears and doors and of course the wings and tail planes.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking good Rick. the decals have come out well despite your initial problems. Looking forward to your complete photos.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I prefer to press down the decal not too softly but a little aggressively without damaging it to force out all water and air using a cotton bud. I then liberally apply decal sol by micro scale industries. This works a treat for less conforming decals such as Trumpeter. My latest 1/32 Trumpeter Bf 109 G-2 worked really well with that approach. Btw, I love your work on that shackelton. looks a beast

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
This is coming along very nicely Rick, looks like you conquered that decal issue.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm still chipping away at this, the masking has been removed from the transparencies and a bit of touch up has been done. Unfortunately the yellow dotted line decal around the pilot's side windows came away with the masking tape.
The bomb doors and wheels are also fitted - note to fit the RH door in the RH side!
I am tantalisingly close to the finish with some aerials remaining and the weapons load though I am contemplating displaying them on bomb trolleys next the the Shackleton - I am going to pose the model on the base I made for my Nimrod a while back.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

M

Morpheus

That looks amazing, I think it would look good with the bombs set up on a loader waiting to be fitted, will give even more intrested on the base.