Rye Field Model (RFM) 1/35 Pz. IV Ausf J kits 5033 (2 in1 ) & 5043 (full interior)

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
It’s not my area of expertise, but I found this:

HvH1.jpg

… which doesn’t really help at all, really, because the lids aren’t on two of the three bins. But it makes me suspect they come off entirely: I suspect lips on the horizontal part of the lid go into the flat rings visible at the top, while the vertical part sits behind the lips on the front of the rack and the lid is secured by the clip in the middle. I suppose the whole thing hinged on those flat rings (and along the join between the two parts), but could be taken off entirely quite easily.

Z12 looks like the inner part of the final drive housing to me, not the sprocket :smiling3: Anyway, if I understand it correctly, you kind of need to install the half-shafts from the outside? So why not leave the final drive housings on both sides loose until after the interior has been painted?
Whoa! Nice pic mate. As DP left his off on his 1/16th build I suspected the tops could be removed. He has a cover part pulled back on his forward vertical ammo storage behind the driver. At least you get a choice.

Screenshot_20231210_204912_Facebook.jpg

You are correct, Z12 is the inner final drive moulding not the sprocket. Like you say there is no reason to fix the inner sprocket mouldings Z12 until after paint application. There must have been a plausable reason why I glued the larger portside half shaft assembly to the brake assembly, but without having the model in my hand I'm not 100% certain what that is.:thinking: It could be because they fit into slots and not holes and I was worried about alignment. There has to be an explanation so I'll get back to you when I remember myself!

UPDATE!

I've just remembered why.:tongue-out: Unlike the smaller starboard half shaft that will pass through the brake assembly so can be fixed to part Z12, the larger portside half shaft assembly will ony fit through from the inside. Fixing it to the brake assembly means it can be painted and handled into position as one piece. I figured that would be way more easier than trying to blindly align it into its slot in Z12 once the portside brake assembly is fixed to the hull floor;)

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word you've certainly looked into this build in great depth, and the results show.
Sorry for being so late Los.

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
This is an image of the forward part of the ammo bin behind the driver.

From a stripped out Pz.IV Ausf J post war

PhotoF0000120.jpg

Last edited: