Scotties Airfix M3A1 Scout car.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Following on from the Centaur, this is the second of the models that I picked up cheaply from a fellow modeller. It is the Airfix M3A1 Scout car. Given it's age the detail is not bad but there is quite a bit of flash on some pieces. Its age is very noticeable from the yellowing Instructions and the totally un usable decals. I picked up a set of Star decals when I saw the state of them. To go along with the kit I also purchased an etch upgrade set. So with this and a few tweaks hopefully it will turn out ok.

There are four sprues cast in dark green, the aging decals and a single folded sheet of instructions.

DSCF4123.JPG

DSCF4124.JPG

DSCF4125.JPG

DSCF4126.JPG

DSCF4127.JPG

DSCF4128.JPG

I hope to get started on this in the next few days and hope you will join me and keep me on the straight and narrow.

cheers
Scottie

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Good luck.
I have the Dodge Personnel Carrier from the same era, and the plastic is not the nicest to work with.
TET glue doesn't always manage to glue the pieces together, or the joints become weak later.
Cheers Gary I will bear that in mind.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
It may be old and need work but I have no doubt you'll do a fine job of this kit.
Front row for me please. A pot of tea, some decent biccies and a fun to follow build. Good start to the new year :smiling2:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Following on from the Centaur, this is the second of the models that I picked up cheaply from a fellow modeller. It is the Airfix M3A1 Scout car. Given it's age the detail is not bad but there is quite a bit of flash on some pieces. Its age is very noticeable from the yellowing Instructions and the totally un usable decals. I picked up a set of Star decals when I saw the state of them. To go along with the kit I also purchased an etch upgrade set. So with this and a few tweaks hopefully it will turn out ok.

There are four sprues cast in dark green, the aging decals and a single folded sheet of instructions.

View attachment 498904

View attachment 498905

View attachment 498906

View attachment 498907

View attachment 498908

View attachment 498909

I hope to get started on this in the next few days and hope you will join me and keep me on the straight and narrow.

cheers
Scottie
Hey Scottie,(Happy New Year to you buddy),I did the old Italeri one of these a couple years back,and it's still one of my favourite models :smiling3:
I'm next to Jim... Although coffee for me instead of tea thanks ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Got to love the 'New' star on the box!!! I See Scalemates says it's a 1975 rebox plus new parts of a 'MAX Plastic Model' kit (whoever they may be).

I assume you will be working your usual magic, even allowing for the PE?

ATB

Andrew

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Paul

I have one of these in my stash and was planning to start on it in the new year as well. I know you will make this another gem :thumb2:. Joining the crew in the back row to watch the magic happen here.

Andrew

'MAX Plastic Model' kit (whoever they may be).

I think Scale mates is referring to Peerless Max... some of those vintage kits are pretty swell

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Paul

I have one of these in my stash and was planning to start on it in the new year as well. I know you will make this another gem :thumb2:. Joining the crew in the back row to watch the magic happen here.

Andrew

I think Scale mates is referring to Peerless Max... some of those vintage kits are pretty swell

Thanks Joe. Had never heard of them.... But then I got back into the hobby seriously in the past 10 years, so I'm not familiar with many older companies.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ooh, that’s positively ancient :smiling3: It’s been reissued by a lot of manufacturers over the years, too, everyone from Airfix to Zvezda. I used to have a Revell one that I wanted to build as a Greek vehicle in four-colour MERDC camouflage, but some years ago sold it on as I wasn’t really ever going to get round to it, and there are much better ones available now. I’m interested what you’re going to turn it into, given your ability to superdetail kits but now building one with very much too thick pieces for the body :smiling3:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yo Scottie! I'm in for this one.....Got one of these in "tiny" scale in the stash so you may end up inspiring me to dig it out! Bring on the "biccys" and I'll have a Black Coffee to wash 'em down!

Last edited:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Scottie,
Just seen another that is under construction. What was mentioned was that the jerry can holders will not take the jerry cans. And I know a man that has 3D printed a couple off, I will put the request forward if you want a couple - complete with strap holders.
And Another masterpeice gets underway.
Cheers
Mike.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It may be old and need work but I have no doubt you'll do a fine job of this kit.
Front row for me please. A pot of tea, some decent biccies and a fun to follow build. Good start to the new year :smiling2:
Thanks Jim, kettles on and hopefully choccie Hobnobs will do.
Hey Scottie,(Happy New Year to you buddy),I did the old Italeri one of these a couple years back,and it's still one of my favourite models :smiling3:
I'm next to Jim... Although coffee for me instead of tea thanks ;)
No worries mate and the same to you. Sorry I only have instant coffee but it's free and plentiful.
Got to love the 'New' star on the box!!! I See Scalemates says it's a 1975 rebox plus new parts of a 'MAX Plastic Model' kit (whoever they may be).

I assume you will be working your usual magic, even allowing for the PE?

ATB

Andrew
Andrew, Yes mate it's 1975 vintage alright, and it shows but that is the fun for me taking these tired old kits and try and bring them up a little.
Paul

Andrew

Joe, yes indeed the old Peerless Max. You need to dig it out you will have some fun.
Ooh, that’s positively ancient :smiling3: It’s been reissued by a lot of manufacturers over the years, too, everyone from Airfix to Zvezda. I used to have a Revell one that I wanted to build as a Greek vehicle in four-colour MERDC camouflage, but some years ago sold it on as I wasn’t really ever going to get round to it, and there are much better ones available now. I’m interested what you’re going to turn it into, given your ability to superdetail kits but now building one with very much too thick pieces for the body :smiling3:
You know me Jakko I like a challenge.
Yo Scottie! I'm in for this one.....Got one of these in "tiny" scale in the stash so you may end up inspiring me to dig it out! Bring on the "biccys" and I'll have a Black Coffee to wash 'em down!
Rick, no worries I have to admire you silly scale modellers I have enough problems with this scale. Black coffee it is mate.......sugar?
Scottie,
Just seen another that is under construction. What was mentioned was that the jerry can holders will not take the jerry cans. And I know a man that has 3D printed a couple off, I will put the request forward if you want a couple - complete with strap holders.
And Another masterpeice gets underway.
Cheers
Mike.
Cheers for that. That's very kind of you but I think I have enough cans and holders in the stash and the straps I can make. But I will bear it in mind. This will be far from a master piece but I will try my best.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Move over on the front row please, seat needed for oap. Tea please and biscuits.
Paul I'm sure you will produce a perfect model.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hold the sugar Mr. Dawg.....and yes we "silly" scalers are a bit detached upstairs, but it's all about the details for me, so micro modeling it is, Sir! :tongue-out3: ;):thumb2:

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Move over on the front row please, seat needed for oap. Tea please and biscuits.
Paul I'm sure you will produce a perfect model.
Your usual seat with power riser is available, kettles on. I doubt it will be perfect but many thanks for the vote of confidence.
Hold the sugar Mr. Dawg.....and yes we "silly" scalers are a bit detached upstairs, but it's all about the details for me, so micro modeling it is, Sir! :tongue-out3: ;):thumb2:
No worries mate. I think we are all a bit detached upstairs with this hobby.
A likely story!
Pete
Pete, thanks for keeping the faith.

Who's not up for a Scottie build. Whoever has the tickets reserve one for me!!
Doug, plenty of tickets still available.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Chair pulled up Paul, definately in for seeing how you make another silk purse!