Scotties Airfix M3A1 Scout car.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm with you here Buddy!!! I've fallen behind on so many great builds and am trying to ketchup. You always let your skills shine on these oldie kits and this one is no exception Paul. I really love the seat cushions and of course, your magic work with PE...I can't wait to see what you have next up your sleeve for this one...

Prost
Allen
Hi Allen, good to see you fella. I have a few things planned hopefully i can pull them off.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Some great improvements there Paul, The seats are a vast improvement over the kit items.

Reactions: JR

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Awesome detail work Paul. Your kit improvements are building into something special.
Top stuff

ATB

Paul

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have been beavering away slowly. Not much to show but I have managed to make two new front springs as again the kit ones were awful and needed so much clean up it was in all honesty easier just to make new ones.

Each spring is made from 32 bits.

DSCF4141.JPG

Finally a pic showing them in place.

DSCF4142.JPG

I still have to add the axle straps when the axle is fitted..

cheers
Scottie

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I must admit I have never built a skif kit but they sound like a challenge.
I never have either … I did buy their T-64 and BMP-3 kits, and still have them unbuilt in the stash because of the amount of work needed to bring them up to scratch. The fact that the prices on them are in guilders only, without the same price in euros as well, says enough about how long I’ve had them :smiling3:

As for the work needed, to give one example: in his Military Modelling article on the BMP-3 some 25 years ago, in addition to adding and correcting detail all over the model, Steve Zagola scratchbuilt the entire track from plastic sheet, strip, etc.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wow Scottie, so few parts ;) excellent work
Thank you Mick
I never have either … I did buy their T-64 and BMP-3 kits, and still have them unbuilt in the stash because of the amount of work needed to bring them up to scratch. The fact that the prices on them are in guilders only, without the same price in euros as well, says enough about how long I’ve had them :smiling3:

As for the work needed, to give one example: in his Military Modelling article on the BMP-3 some 25 years ago, in addition to adding and correcting detail all over the model, Steve Zagola scratchbuilt the entire track from plastic sheet, strip, etc.
I will definitely give them a miss then.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
To be honest, they seem like they would be ideal for your kind of detailling :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Gobsmacked! Nuff said!!!
Absolutely breath taking work
ATB
Paul

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Work has started on the rear of the chassis. When finished not much if any will be seen, but I couldn't just fit what was there so I started giving it a little tweak.

The front suspension mount was just a box moulded to the chassis rail.
DSCF4144.JPG

This was removed and the offending hole filled with an offcut of plastic and filler. Next a new mount was fabricated. I rolled a piece of brass around a drill to form the cup which was then soldered to the brass back plate. This was done for strength, next the rest of the "casting" was added from offcuts off evergreen. Finally rivet and bolt detail was added.

DSCF4145.JPG

Work has started on the spring I will post some pictures when its finished.

cheers
Scottie

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
The leaf spring you’ve made is awesome and the mount is a 100% improvement…..top work Scottie :cool::thumb2:

Reactions: JR