Scotties big Zundapp

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Scottie,
Great work on the wire wheels, and on the pannier box hangers. Will draw up a chair and watch the progress on this old ESCI kit offering. (giving age away).
Mike,
More than welcome mate. I welcome any pointers along the way.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
To all who have liked and commented about the wheels thank you very much for the kind words. I thought I would do a SBS on the last wheel, just to show how I went about it and how easy it is. There are other methods but this one in this scale worked for me.

The first thing is to mark out where the spokes are and the angle they are fitted. Then remove a few at a time I normally do about four at a time this gives the hub plenty of support. Next clean up the seam line and remnants of the moulded nipples.

View attachment 468587

Using a drill bit the size of the nipple to be used, in my case some vinyl tube drill the outer rim using the marks as a guide.

View attachment 468588

Next using a drill the size of the spoke itself drill the hub. you will notice the holes on the hub are offset to allow the spokes to pass each other. The holes don't need to be deep as long as they provide a positive location.

View attachment 468589

View attachment 468590

The vinyl tube was cut at 7mm ish lengths and slid over the new spokes.

View attachment 468591

now push one end of the wire into the locating hole then slide the nipple down the wire into the hole in the rim until you have enough on the inside of the rim. when happy CA both ends in place.
Just remember to follow the correct direction of the spokes.

View attachment 468592

When happy snip off the remaining wire. Now repeat until you have worked round the whole wheel.

Sorry if it was long winded but hopefully you can see that all though time consuming it is quite easy if you take your time and get the holes in the right place.

cheers
Scottie
Looks painful Scottie

Reactions: JR

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Excellent stuff mate. I was blown away by the bikes you had at last year's show, and the SBS is graat.

On a humourous note, does this mean your model is now.... Wait for it... Bespoke!?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks painful Scottie
Luckily not to painful mate.
Excellent stuff mate. I was blown away by the bikes you had at last year's show, and the SBS is graat.

On a humourous note, does this mean your model is now.... Wait for it... Bespoke!?
Dale thanks mate. I'll get your coat lol.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well one pannier is done. Had a lot of fun adding the details. The hinge does work but ended up fixing the lid in place. The two catches had me scratching my head as to how to recreate them. they are the upteenth attempt and fabricated from 7 parts each not including the rivet detail. Although very far from perfect they are a 100% better than the kit offerings and I am happy with them.

DSCF3564.JPG

DSCF3565.JPGDSCF3566.JPG

DSCF3567.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Great work Bro!!! I thought the spokes were cool, but this is really cool. Nice to see you having such a good time building this Paul!!!

Prost
Allen

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work Bro!!! I thought the spokes were cool, but this is really cool. Nice to see you having such a good time building this Paul!!!

Prost
Allen
Thanks Dude, I must admit I am having fun and it's a lot easier in this scale.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Scottie you just keep raising the bar. The spokes were brilliant but those catches are even more impressive.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
More great work Scottie, those catches are a work of art
Cheers Mick, they're not 100% right but better than the kit offerings.
Beat me to it Mick - they are INSANE
Thank you Neil appreciate it.
Paul, I'm so awfully pleased by your modelling skills I'm considering the platypus breeding as my new hobby... :tongue-out3:

Andrea
Andrea, that's very kind of you. That does sound like an interesting hobby but please stick with this one :smiling:
Well Scottie you just keep raising the bar. The spokes were brilliant but those catches are even more impressive.
Jim, Thank you mate.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The work continues on the side car. The boot lid was added. Next the lid handle was fabricated as the kit offering was just a blob of plastic. Also in the picture you can see I have added the pop studs for the rain cover. These were made from a punched disc of pewter and then having a larger headed pin pushed through the disc.

DSCF3568.JPG

Next the tie downs for the rain cover were added from copper wire.

DSCF3569.JPG

And finally this had the holes drilled out, I say this as not sure what it is. I suspect it was something to do with the winter heater in the footwell but that is just my guess.

DSCF3570.JPG

cheers
Paul

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Spent the last couple of hours working on the MG mount. As you can imagine the kit offering was very lacking on detail. the tubular housing was removed and some new tube added. This was slotted to allow the guide rail to pass through. The clamping halves were added and the kit handle. The guide rail was added to the cross shaft. The handwheel was thinned out and scored around the edge to simulate the non slip straight knurling. Then various bolt detail was added.

DSCF3571.JPG

DSCF3572.JPG

DSCF3573.JPG

cheers
Paul

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well one pannier is done. Had a lot of fun adding the details. The hinge does work but ended up fixing the lid in place. The two catches had me scratching my head as to how to recreate them. they are the upteenth attempt and fabricated from 7 parts each not including the rivet detail. Although very far from perfect they are a 100% better than the kit offerings and I am happy with them.

View attachment 468969

View attachment 468970View attachment 468971

View attachment 468972

cheers
Scottie
Simply stunning Scottie!!