Shenanigans 3: Tamiya mate and Willys Jeep

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_3731.JPG100_3732.JPG100_3733.JPG

Well, let's see if I have any luck with another Shenanigans project. This time I've gone for Tamiya's mate and Willy's Jeep, with the view of depicting an 'awaiting orders' scenario. I've also got hold of some Tamiya allied stowage, which together with the sprue of weapons and personal equipment provided with the mate will be enough to kit out both vehicles. There are four figures in total, which will be more than enough to animate the scene.

The mate is a pretty old re-issued kit, and though even I can see that some of the detailing is fairly basic, it will be built out of the box. The most basic elements are the turret interior (a gift to you blingers), but the positioning of the figures will hide most of that. The jeep also needs a little help, namely the addition of some bonnet clasps, which I will try and scratch.

I'll start with the mate. Here are the sprue shots:

100_3735.JPG100_3734.JPG

Vinyl tracks again, but at least the join can be hidden under the front mud-guards.

So, deep breath.........

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Welcome back Peter from your GD obligations. Looking forward to seeing this one come together. If you need pictures of the jeep I have a couple of walk arounds. However I suspect you just want to get to the painting stage:thumb2::cool:

DSC03222.JPG

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - Thank for the photo. I may call on you for more.

Here's the result of today's session:

100_3746.JPG

The wheels and bogies were quite fiddly, but went together OK.

I decided to depart from the instructions after that and add the tracks early, then build and attach the main elements of the upper hull. I'm glad I did, as there were some fit issues at the back where the various plates and the mudguards met - bevelled edges that were meant to meet at a point, but didn't. Quite a bit of filling and sanding was required, but I'm reasonably happy with the finish (there's always dirt and weathering if all else fails).

The next stage will be to fit out and paint the interior.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Vinyl tracks again, but at least the join can be hidden under the front mud-guards.
That’s not the worst flaw of those Tamiya M3/M5 light tank tracks. The end connectors, well, don’t — that is, they’re in the middle of each link instead of being between them.

Simplest fix would probably be to ask if anyone has built an M3 Stuart from Academy, AFV Club, or some other non-Tamiya brand, replaced the tracks of it, and can you have them please? :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 6559

Jakko - I see what you mean - how bizarre. Looks like some mud and dirt will be needed!

Scottie - Thanks for looking in. Certainly is the dark side for me.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Another departure from your comfort zone of larger figures. Will be watching with interest.

D

Deleted member 6559

Welcome aboard Peter. The figures here look fairly decent and there are only four of them (though that's enough!).

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - I'll try not to bore anyone!

Scottie - Well, you know me, though it is a very simple kit.

The main parts are now built and have had their basic coat of paint:

100_3755.JPG100_3758.JPG

No real problems with the rest of the build, even for a hopeless modeller like myself. I've left off the tools and stowage, as I prefer to do the main bulk of the weathering without them (ditto the decals). The base colour for the armour is Vallejo Medium Olive, and things like the lights, grousers, seats etc have been picked out in their appropriate colours.

Now on to the weathering (the most enjoyable bit).

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Peter,
Not a worry with the tracks, as you say a bit of debris and all will be hidden.
Cheers, Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word your quick Peter.
I'll sit at the table and pass the glue.
Looking fwd to this, do not throw it out of the window :smiling2: please .
John .

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Coming along nicely Mr D, looking forward to seeing that jeep :smiling4:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You're just breez'in along buddy. PaulE

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Good to see you recovered and back at the bench, and more armour too.
Rapid progress too.
4 x 1/35 figures to paint too!
And Tamiya figures to boot, no Hornet transplanted heads!
This is the best part for many, the weathering of the tank.
I have been watching the You Tube series from Adam Wilder of his extreme modulation and weathering.
For many it way beyond reality, but it does look so good, even if it is artistic license.
I have finally got the new laptop working!
Technology!
Have a good day at the bench and keep warm, there's snow on the way, down South, so they say?
Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for the encouraging words chaps. I'm quite pleased that I managed to get the build done without any major disasters - now to ruin it with the weathering!

Steve - Glad you are back in the land of the living and re-connected to the world. We had snow broadcast for overnight, but there was none, and in fact we awoke to a bright sunny, if frosty morning.

The figures look perfectly OK to me. Not as good as some of Tamiya's recent offerings, but perfectly paintable (again, famous last words).

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter
Glad to see you on vehicles again I’ll sit next to John and make sure he doesn’t sniff the glue

Last edited: