Simon's AEC Militant mkI GS truck. Asam models 1/48

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
It's going to be a really nice model. Those cargo bed panels are a pleasure to see.
Thank you, seems a shame to paint them but green she is
I also hope to make a new canopy for the rear the resin one is ok but I'm hoping to fabricate a new frame work and also covers to suit cant beat a challenge…
simon

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is a very interesting build. And a lot of White metal!

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Well ready to prime the metal parts tomorrow or thursday carpel op seems to have gone well and good use of fingers just not to much!!!
IMG_3022.jpegIMG_3021.jpegIMG_3020.jpeg
small batch of bits left to do but for the most part its complete
IMG_3019.jpegIMG_3018.jpegIMG_3023.jpegIMG_3024.jpegIMG_3025.jpegIMG_3026.jpegIMG_3027.jpeg cab shell to fit out and i still need to remake the rear canopy & covers (sheets?) but good to be at this stage thought i should post these pics before i muck up the painting
simon

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Simon,
That looks very nice indeed. What do you use as a primer for the white metal?

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Simon,
That looks very nice indeed. What do you use as a primer for the white metal?
initially i just used a rattle can metal primer, as i believed the metal would oxidise quickly but it hasn't seemed to, so I'm going to coat it all with the rattle can then use Vallejo black primer, a silver mid coat and olive green top coat ….. but open to suggestions :cool:
simon

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Well i tried to make some frame parts today for the canopy 1st plan was to put sockets inside and slip the rail in to these but that would leave a large gap between the inside and outer face of the curtain & cause an unsightly bulge all round, second plan was to drill through the top rail as is how the real one is fitted but there is not enough meat in the side panels to allow this, i did drill the first 2 but even these would leave a bulge on the curtain, i also tried to bend a 90’ x 90’ bend to take it outwards and then back inwards but this is proving to tight for the tools i have available.
IMG_3030.jpeg
I only have the thickness of the top rail here
IMG_3029.jpeg
drilled and rail in place but no real strength to it
IMG_3028.jpeg
The bulge at the front would be large lesser on the sides, so i am for now going with the supplied canopy
simon

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry I missed this Simon, well done getting this far with out instructions
Remember those well in Germany .

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I can't say any more than what's been said cracking work and thanks for making this group build possible