SimonT - 4x4 1/24 Esci Range Rover

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Simon.
Of course I remember these when they came out, as I said only then real country people owned them, the Police and civil engineers.
Certainly lead the way in those far off days. ( Thank you Steve , no need to remind me :smiling: )
Can't remember any one complaining about them, properly didn't want to admit they were troublesome.
I'm sure you will make a silk purse out of this .
John.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Ian - long term storage hasn't done it any favours

John - if all goes to plan it should be more sows ear in the end :smiling:

Bought a Wilko 10x8" picture frame to use as a base

I shall attempt to make a sort of outbuilding to house the car - breeze block wall with wrinkly tin roof and some supporting steelwork

Only had a few minutes last night but managed to knock together a die for stamping breeze block texture into blue foam

40grit sandpaper glued to a chunk of plastic card with a surround of rod to give mortar

rov-026_2018-9-12.jpg
I don't think that looks too shabby

will need care to ensure that the mortar lines align

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Simon.
Liking the imprint tool for the breeze block, very neat. To add to that the block pattern and mortar joints look good. Remember most breeze block
construction is built fairly fast and can have quite a rough look to the finish.
John .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Don't worry John - I suspect it will all look rather rough by the time I have finished with it!

Test fitted the chassis tub to the body and found that the rear chassis rails are not long enough

Don't know whether it was just make that way or something has been lost with the warping or what but the rear bumper is so hard against the body that it is causing it to bend

To rectify this I have sliced the bumper off and stuck on some 60thou spacers to the ends of the chassis rails

Should be enough to move the bumper off the bodywork

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Simon.
I'm sure you bought things so they would warp with age, another excuse for this drastic surgery.:smiling3::smiling:
John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
Shame about the warping. Have you tried the hot water treatment yet? That breeze block stamp is a good idea and looks to work well.
Jim

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Hi Simon, I'll pull up a chair, I'm another former Range Rover Owner. Impressive work on the springs & shocks, looking forward to seeing how this goes together.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Ross - thanks for looking in

John - rats, you figured out my plan :smiling:

Jim - not yet. I have got rid of most of the twist with weight and liberal use of liquid glue. I think I may get away with it just by sticking body to chassis tub. The very hot water that would be needed is likely to adversely affect the thinner parts so I will only use it as a last resort

Graeme - thanks. A 2 door or later version?

Morning all,

some progress to report....

rov-031_2018-9-16.jpg
I opened up the wheel slots

rov-028_2018-9-16.jpg
and added new wheel nuts and valve

then I balanced the wheels and added rim weights

rov-027_2018-9-16.jpg
I course sanded all the tyres to remove most of the tread

then had the bright idea of imparting slight flat spots as tyres do deflate slowly over time

stood the tyres on a baking tray and placed it on the hob, the idea being that I would switch off the heat just as they started to melt

seemed like a plan but I failed to take into account one variable - the level of my own stupidity :sad-face:

breakfast was cooking on the other side of the hob and I switched that off instead of the tyres so they got a little more crispy than I wanted - oops

luckily damage not too bad - I can put the worst ones at the back near the wall

rov-029_2018-9-16.jpg
rov-030_2018-9-16.jpg
rough and ready wall parts made using my die and a hammer to impart the pattern

mostly ok but a few of the joints will need a little fettling

Unfortunately the process resulted in warped blue foam so I have had to stick them to pvc foam board using No Nails -weighted down with large heavy books overnight so hopefully the warp will be eliminated

it will be a miracle if all this comes together and looks even vaguely like I envisaged

Thanks for looking in

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Best laid plans and all that. I hope you get the look you were after.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Interesting stuff going on here Mr T. The block work wall looks good....any suspect mortar lines can be hidden behind a traditional garage ‘gentleman’s calendar’ or a ropey looking modular shelf unit :smiling5:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
You never fail to entertain :smiling2: It seems obligatory for your models to go through many ups and downs before emerging at the end as quality results. The tyre idea was a good one - perhaps you should have done it after breakfast. Wall should stay flat with the backing.
Jim

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Hi Simon, my Range Rover was a four door 89 model with a 200tdi in it, I couldn't afford to run a V8!
I think the tyres look ok considering you are doing it as a rusty barn find, the wheel nuts & valves are a nice touch too.:thumb2:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Steve - cheers

Si - don't think you can have that many shelves or calendars

Jim - plenty of ups and downs for sure

Ross - at least I didn't eat the tyres and stick my egg butty on the car

Graeme - thanks :smiling5: I bet the V8 is a tad thirsty

rov-032_2018-9-17.jpg
made a couple of these to support the roof

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Looks great Simon, the dio idea is very nice and love the damage done to the Rover.:thumb2:

Following on from the back seats.