SimonT - 4x4 1/24 Esci Range Rover

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The barn for the 'barn find', looks interesting, a bit of suitable junk perhaps?

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Graeme - if there is space then it will get a few dusty boxes and maybe an oil drum in the corner

Not had much time so only managed to roll a load more roof panels - should have enough now for the full roof

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
it will get a few dusty boxes and maybe an oil drum in the corner
....and a 1985 Pirelli calender on the wall☺️
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Simon,
Not sure how I missed this up till now, but great work all round your modelling skills still impress me after all this time. Really like the breeze block stamp.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great work on the lean to. Will it be an asbestos roof or metal one?

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jim - :thinking:

Scottie - all I can say is you must be easily impressed :smiling5:

Steve - galv steel. I walk past one every day so have a great reference on how they rust over time :thumb2:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I decided that just a little bit of rust wouldn't look very dramatic so....

rov-036_2018-9-23.jpg

I decided to depict the restoration under way and so chopped off the rear quarter panel and tail light mounting panel

In order to give a reasonably stable base to work from I decided to glue the tub into the body

This will make painting interesting but there was no way I could build the mods and keep the shell separate

Even more interesting will be trying to fit the dash as I got carried away and forgot to fit it before joining body to tub!

rov-034_2018-9-23.jpg
rov-035_2018-9-23.jpg
Based on pictures of a full size restoration I then started to add the internal panel detail

I also had to chop off the recently extended bumper and instead add the open box section to the ends of the chassis rails, again as per reference photos

The rotten panel flanges are made from a double layer of pewter sheet with the edge distressed with a blade - this will need further work once the CA sets

I also managed to trim down the short sections of wall and fit them to the building

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
You just can't leave well alone can you :smiling: It is a good idea though and looks well underway.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Simon
You just can't leave well alone can you :smiling: It is a good idea though and looks well underway.
Jim

:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: ...just when I thought it was safe to visit the post. Simon's at it again.

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice start at the dio Simon.:thumb2:
Love the restoration idea too and it gives this build your trademark touch:smiling:, good luck with the dashboard.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jim - well, might as well try and do a proper job on it :smiling4:

Ian - if all goes to plan it should actually look rather ropey

Richard - fairly safe now. I think the major cutting is done

Fernando - cheers. Still need to check out the dashboard :thinking:

Made a little more progress.....

rov-038_2018-9-24.jpg
holes

rov-041_2018-9-24.jpg
a lot of the parts are simplified including the fuel filler - there is a rectangular hole in the bodywork so that had to be patched and an arched opening cut in instead

Inside the load space the inside of the hole should be a curved profile - replicated this with a section of plastic tubing

rov-040_2018-9-24.jpg
on the outside the fuel filler pipe was added along with a few more holes around the base of the B post and over the wheelarch as per 1:1 references

rov-039_2018-9-24.jpg
roughly what it will look like

rov-037_2018-9-24.jpg
roof panels glued on

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Mick

rov-042_2018-9-25.jpg
made an end wall for the right side - one side is blocks, the other, seen above, is rendered with VJ red oxide paste

I actually bought this stuff for adding rough rust to the chassis etc but it works well as rendering

Went and dropped the pot and got it on my work trousers - oops. Lots of water and scrubbing followed :rolling:

rov-043_2018-9-25.jpg
rov-044_2018-9-25.jpg
finished adding roof panels and sheeting fixings - all looks a little rough but once painted and weathered I think it will look the part

Thanks for looking in

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mr T .
Sir , in ref to your roof.... May I humbly suggest some more roof fixing ! Another one in the middle would help prevent the wind from removing the sheets ! I enclose a fitting suggestion for your perusal.:smiling2:
corrugated-image-4.png

Having seen the arrival of pewter, and more plastic removal I concur that this was indeed as I had thought several posts ago namely , you intended this to happen .
Yours J Race .
Corrugated Sheets R Us

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Mick, Tim, Ian, Scottie - ta :thumb2:

John - wouldn't want the sheets blowing off would we so a few more fixings it shall get :thumb2:

rov-045_2018-9-26.jpg
see this roof every day, snapped this on the phone on the walk home - ancient and patched many times during it's life by the look of it. Plenty of rust.

Looks like a good candidate for some AK Worn Effects when I get around to painting mine

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Coming along very well Simon. This is an eye opener for me as i have seldom seen corrugated zinc roofs in any images of the UK. For a moment I thought you had shot a picture in S E Asia....interesting.

Cheers,
Richard