Spitfire Mk.XIX - Airfix 1/72

Z

Ziper_it

Dear mates, I'm back.

This time we have a simpler model as I need to recover from the fatigues of the MH-53e. I will assemble the kit strictly (almost) OOB and concentrate to make (learn to) a clean build/paint job.

The kit is nice despite the deep grooves, ehm, panel lines, with lot of (simple) details. I did a check with a couple of walkaround and all the air intakes and bulges are at their place. Only drawbacks I can see til now are the plain instrument panel and the gear legs moulded with the panels.

View attachment 83746

This is the cabin interior, almost all the bits are there, though in a simplified version.

View attachment 83747

Fit is not bad at all.

View attachment 83748

So I started with the cockpit, recreated the IP, added camera trigger and compass, the moved to the seat, which I sanded to make it thinner, and to which I added the rocket holder, adjustme lever and cushions.

On the cabin I added the camera control box, the first aid kit, the tool to break the canopy and some plumbing. Behind the pilot I've added the three oxygen tanks and the apparatus to remove humidity.

Now I have more or less this:

I also glued the three camera glasses, but still thinking how I should reproduce the lens inside, especially because only two cameras could be mounted at one time and one should be closed (with a red cover?). Any suggestions is appreciated.

Now I started working on the wings, cutting the ailerons and completing the wheel wells which have no walls nor ribs.

Thanks for looking,

Francesco

Last edited:
Z

Ziper_it

I. have the same problem with other threads and thought it was Tapatalk.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
the same no pics, :confused:

Z

Ziper_it

There must be an issue here, John I can't see pics in your thread too

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

lol this is funny cos' the pics in the 2nd post are actually there...

john

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Yeah, I can see the Dropbox ones but nothing in the first post. The forum is undergoing maintenance I think, may be something to do with that?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Got the second lot of piccies, but not the first-looks like another great build in your tiny scale Francesco.

Si:smiling3:

Z

Ziper_it

Now it looks that after I've replaced last two pics from Dropbox in the first item the original uploaded to Tapatalk are showing. Weird

D

dubster72

Yay pictures! Waited 3 minutes for them to load mind!

Very nice Francesco - you must have sharp eyes & steady hands to be so neat with your painting!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work so far and a very good start, ;)

Z

Ziper_it

Let's try again.

Fuselage closed.

View attachment 83669

I tried to reproduce the cameras. Though the method looks the right one, the final result is below my expectations.

View attachment 83670

Now working on wheel wells

View attachment 83671

Francesco

Edit: again the issue with pics. I had to edit the message and add a space in the img tag to show the pics as attachment (but not inline with text).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited: