Spitfire Mk.XIX - Airfix 1/72

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Cockpit and cameras look great but will look even better when the camo is applied top job so far

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Superb work Francesco. And great to see some extra detail going into this one as well.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Superb work Francesco.and real like the added detail, job well done, look forward to more pics soon lol, :eek: :rolleyes:

Z

Ziper_it

Thank you mates.

I'm going slowly as I'm not able to find the right slot to model.

However, since last post I completed the assembly, added the air scoop close to the pitot, draining pipes on wing bottom, ribs over the wheel wells and gear down indicators.

I then painted top surfaces with gunze H305 and lightened panel lines with a lighter color. Not really satisfied with the results but I want to see the final effect. I also tried to use the H55 for the PRU blue but it doesn't look right, today I should give a try to the life color intermediate blue, let's see.

View attachment 84208

Francesco

Z

Ziper_it

Hello again.

Now it looks that after the issues with posting and watching pics I'm also not able to read the forum from tapatalk. I'm now connected via web and everything works, so here's a short update.

I've not been able to find any lifecolor/extracolor/gunze I tried my own mix and painted the rest of the model, then gloss clear, decals and wash.

View attachment 84170

I already fixed the stain on the roundels and desaturated the decals.

Propeller and landing gears are ready,rudder and elevator glued, few more bits and it should be completed.

Francesco

image.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice look spit there Francesco., looking good

P

Polux

Everyday is looking better Francesco. I like the exhaust pipes colour ;)

Great build: on :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
Everyday is looking better Francesco. I like the exhaust pipes colour ;) Great build: on :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:
as Polux said these exhaust pipes, look great do like the colors, that deep rust ,:rolleyes:

Z

Ziper_it

Dear mates,

I just received the ziperboost's slipper tank, painted it in medium grey and now is ready for wash.

View attachment 84344

Here's how it looks on the model

View attachment 84345

I gave the model another layer of gunze clear but surface is still not as smooth as I expected.

Hooks for tank release still to be done. Then I just have to glue the herls and decide if I mount the tank.

Francesco

image.jpg

image.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

Looking real good but didn't you say at the start it would be pretty much oob, I can't imagine what you would consider heavily detailed. Really well done and in that scale great eyesight, I could only dream of that.

L

Laurie

Very nice Francesco. What are the white inserts in the wheel bays ?

Is this the Spitfire with the twin props ?

Laurie

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Francesco, do like it ,keep up the good work, ;)

Z

Ziper_it

Hello mates,

Thank you very much for your comments.

@Laurie,

The white bits on the bulges (fuel booster pumps) are the draining pipes, did forget to paint them.

The XIX had a single propeller.

Francesco

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks great Francesco.

Increasing the number of blades on a propeller is one way of improving power absorption through propeller solidity (the solidity of the spinning disc). When you consider that the Griffon 65 as seen in the Spitfire Mk.XIX could put out almost 2,000HP, that is nearly twice what the early war Merlins could produce. That is why you see an increase in blades as the type developed with more powerful engines. Later, contra-rotating propellers did the same thing, but also reduced torque effects as they turned in opposite directions. An interesting fact is that many pilots struggled to control the later aircraft on take off due to the massive torque produced from these enormous engines. More than one experienced Spitfire pilot came to grief because the Griffon actually turned the propeller the opposite direction to the Merlin (anti-clockwise as viewed by the pilot). Wrong pedal and full power = significant loss of ground control.