Steady, wait 'til he's right on the bridge!" A 1/72 diorama

M

mobear

i got the `ole`bit and the `mon ami`as for the rest its all french to me.........

mobear

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Fantastic Ron, the outcome really is amazing. When do i move in, can you pitch me a tent mate please lol.Seeing as how the place is named after you, you can kip where you like......Just think of the fun you could have with Happy Hunter charging around on the canal too!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
i got the `ole`bit and the `mon ami`as for the rest its all french to me.........mobear
Nice one ole.....It means "Just a play on words, my friend."......or words to that effect!lol

Cheers

Ron

S

Sky Raider

You better fill that lock then Ron. The Hunter will be coming soon hehe.

Andy

First Name
Andy
I am so sorry Sir for my lateness, I am loving every part of this build...

May I ask, what paint/finish do you use for the ground please...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Will do ole!

Andy, I'd better shape up then, mind you ,no sweat, the thing wouldn't get under my diddy bridge would it!!lol

Andy2035, no worries mate, I'm glad you like the build so far......I just use ordinary bog standard brown and green shed paint randomly applied to the hardened adhesive with an stiff, old, biggish artists paintbrush.

Thanks for the question.

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've made a start on the armour and figures....

Here is the PAK40. It's a 'snap fit' Italeri kit....Two guns and 12 crew all for £6.50!

Considering it's 1/72 it's got loads of detail. The purists elsewhere might rip the actual kit to bits, but I'm more than happy with the finished model.

I found some old Tamiya XF60 and just managed to bring it back to life. It was brush applied, and I was surprised how easily it went on....It wouldn't work on a large area though, it virtually dried as soon as it touched the plastic! The second picture is the actual colour of the plastic...not the first!

I'm going a bit silly and having a go at the pea pattern or similar for the crew smocks....I don't know why either. I can just about see the figures on the sprue!!

I have finally started on the water and done the first coat of varnish on the canal but that, as expected has just soaked in, so pointless posting a pickie.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 56978

View attachment 56979

View attachment 56980

View attachment 56982

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 151.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 153.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 154.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 156.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
That PAK40 is very nice Ron, like you say "loads of detail". We're not rivet counters here and i'd be happy with that mate, by the way, there's a bolt missing:grinball1:

Have fun, John

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looks the part in your fab dio buddy and dont worry if any picks at the little pac the only one its got to please is your self

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi there ron a question on the tin foil that u placed on some of the windows. to get the worn out metal look did u brush it with black "neo magic" (not sure what u call it over there). reason i ask is that i have tried something similar on my dio but it still looks quite shiny .... cheers lindsey

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
That PAK40 is very nice Ron, like you say "loads of detail". We're not rivet counters here and i'd be happy with that mate, by the way, there's a bolt missing:grinball1:Have fun, John
Thanks John, I knew there was something missing......I found the missing bolt under the work bench and stuck it on with super glue. The PAK looks far better now.

Thanks again,

Ron

View attachment 57005

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 157.jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Thanks John, I knew there was something missing......I found the missing bolt under the work bench and stuck it on with super glue. The PAK looks far better now.Thanks again,

Ron
Now thats funny, i have tears rolling dawn my face. Thanks me old china.

Have fun, John

R

rememal

:terrific::smile1::welldone::clap2::cheeseygrin::cheeseygrin:

Well funny

M

mobear

way way to much hilarity on this build lol,work work my boy,by the way it looks good

mobear

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I'm going a bit silly and having a go at the pea pattern or similar for the crew smocks....I don't know why either. I can just about see the figures on the sprue!!
Cocktail stick point should be able to do it :smiling3:

Lookin great so far Ron

C

CDW

\ said:
I found the missing bolt under the work bench and stuck it on with super glue.
Is there another bolt knocking around mate, looks like you found the wrong one, that one looks like it has the wrong thread.

By the way, this laptop screen is getting a little fed up with getting covered in coffee :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
hi there ron a question on the tin foil that u placed on some of the windows. to get the worn out metal look did u brush it with black "neo magic" (not sure what u call it over there). reason i ask is that i have tried something similar on my dio but it still looks quite shiny .... cheers lindsey
Hi Lindsey, I used ordinary Vallejo acrylics for this, but any matt paint will do.....Start with grey, let it dry. Then black, then brown/rust last. When dry, get a fine wire brush (not those you remove rust with!) and very gently run the brush down the 'tin sheet' Don't press down, the weight of the brush is sufficient. this should leave a hit and miss with the colours and leave a couple of shiney bits too.......

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Glad you approve of the bit of humour chaps, 'tis the season to be jolly!

Sorry ole, it's the only way I know...fun all the way!lol

Thanks Allyne, and I'll give the sticks a try.

Colin, you really must read things before taking a swig...silly boy!!

Cheers all,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've painted the PAK crew. I used only four out of the six crew members, the ones with steel helmets.

I tried using Allyne's suggestion of the cocktail sticks, but it proved too big for the pea pattern. I had a look on a re-enactment site and on that kind of cammo the pea is about the size of a thumb nail, so I decided on another pattern. Still using a cocktail stick I did the cammo you can see on the pictures. It's close to summat called 'burred edge' and is near enough for purpose. Thanks Allyne...

The figure shown is the officer saying "Wait 'till he's on the bridge"...Ugly cus isn't he?.......Next, I'll do the 'He' on the bridge. And another coat of varnish on the water.

Thanks for looking in and all comments and suggestions always welcome.

Ron

View attachment 57056

View attachment 57057

View attachment 57058

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 167.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 168.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 169.jpg