Steady, wait 'til he's right on the bridge!" A 1/72 diorama

S

Saber

Loving those bits on your tank brilliant.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

P

Polux

I wonder up to where you are going to arrive with it, Ron friend, amazing!

Cheers. Polux

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry boys, but I haven't been doing anything to this for the last two weeks or so...'Things' keep getting in the way!

Anyway, a somewhat belated thanks for all your posts. I'm glad you approve thus far.....

When I came back to it and had a fresh look, the 'village' still looked naked somehow, and I'm determined to get the end result a bit more 'busy' and 'summat like', yet still deserted.....A bit like the Marie Celeste!

So I've added a bit more stuff here and there and added some more texture to the bushes and grassed areas. Also I've added a grass strip down the centre of the lane and a bit over the bridge using ground down coriander leaf, sprinkled on to diluted PVA.....I've purposely tried to make the bank in the lane look ragged, figuring some of the the advancing infantry would have slithered down the bank from the field above.

I've added four telegraph poles using kebab sticks, I've yet to string the power cables, 'cos I'm sure to clout them!

The little tin paddock is again foil, scribed with a knife and the posts are cocktail sticks.

I've included a B/W shot just for fun!!

I'm still getting ideas, so who knows what else I might incorporate into it before I turn to the figures!!

I hope you like this latest addition to Andeville, and as usual all comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 58402

View attachment 58403

View attachment 58404

View attachment 58405

View attachment 58406

View attachment 58407

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 191.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 193.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 194.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 195.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 197.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 200.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Fantastic Ron, bout time you got your finger out. Thought you had hibernated of something lol

Andy

First Name
Chris
I'm with everyone else on this one Ron.......bloomin Awesome fella.

Regards

Chris

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Looking great Ron, love the first pic mate. Reminds me of taking the dog for a walk.............

Fenton! FENTON!! FEENNNTTTTOOOOONNNNN!!!!!!!!!

Have fun, John

PS, it doe's reminds me of my dog Jess though mate.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your posts boys, highly amusing and very nice reading. I appreciate everyone's imput...

It's hooking down outside, so I've been able to do a bit more......Unexpectedly and here's why....

The bride came over and had a blimp and said it was very nice, but something was missing....Don't you just love quizzes?!

"What?" sez I

"Some writing on the walls." sez she........

She was right and I'd forgot about the French love of writing on walls ect. If ever you go over the Channel, you will see loads of examples from way back in the 1900's, most are faded and difficult to spot. Some are works of art advertising wine , cars and the like....

So I've had a go at adding a couple of simple ones to Andeville, this led to the idea of some resistance member quickly scrawling an uncomplimentary slogan on a gable end!

For the two signs I used 4mm rub on letters (Haven't used these for decades, literally!) and it was fun learning again!......I think this size looks about right for 1/72.

Here's a quick how to do these:-

Get some plastic card (This is a wooden sign) the other is letraset direct onto the model's wall...

Mark the card the size you want the sign, don't cut it off yet, it's easier to work still attached to the big piece...

I've explained how I to do wood grain previously, so just paint, when dry stick the letters on, then with a scalpel gently scratch the letters. You will notice the 'A' has loosened a bit at the bottom, no probs., just flick it off!....Cut from the card. Job done.

The slogan is just roughly painted with an 00 sized brush, 'cos in real life the artist would be in a bit of a hurry wouldn't he??

This is great....As I'm typing I've just remembered, thanks to Andrew (Phalinmegob) I have a sheet of A4 scale propaganda posters, so I'll stop typing and stick a couple on the model. I love it when this happens....ideas come from nowhere!...Back in a mo'!

O.K. I've done the posters and aged and defaced them a bit.....One has a swastika on and the other the Dictator himself. I ain't removing them 'cos as far as I'm concerned it's part of history and are presumably copies of the real thing....

Here are the pictures of the signs, posters and the slogan....These small additions have made such a difference to the feel of the village.....Thanks wife!

I hope you like them ....If not, blame her!

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 58501

View attachment 58502

View attachment 58503

View attachment 58504

View attachment 58505

View attachment 58506

View attachment 58507

View attachment 58508

View attachment 58509

View attachment 58510

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 201.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 202.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 203.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 204.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 205.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 206.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 207.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 208.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 209.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 210.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi there ron ... i think u should change the house rules with this one and instead of recycling it keep it to one side fully intact ... this is far too good to ditch ... rgds lindsey

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
hi there ron ... i think u should change the house rules with this one and instead of recycling it keep it to one side fully intact ... this is far too good to ditch ... rgds lindsey
Don't worry Lindsey, this one's safe. It's only 14" X 18", and thanks for the compliment.....

Thanks ole, I agree. I was surprised that a simple thing like a couple of signs and posters could make so much difference......

S

Sky Raider

I cant beleive that you can keep pulling these things out of the hat. That is amazing Ron. Whats next mate.

Andy

C

CDW

\ said:
I cant beleive that you can keep pulling these things out of the hat. That is amazing Ron. Whats next mate.Andy
looking at what he's capable of ...probably the answer to nuclear fusion :smiling3: :smiling3: