Steady, wait 'til he's right on the bridge!" A 1/72 diorama

F

Fenlander

Just popped by to catch up with what you guys are up to these days and I am so glad I did. Ron, you never cease to amaze me with how you construct these dioramas. Looking at those last colour pics I immediately thought that had I bought that as a kit from MiniArt, I would have been very happy. To see it made from bits and bobs is so inspirational. Great modelling in the true sense of the words.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ron,I don't think anyone thinks that you've been prattling on or posting too many pictures. It's inspirational stuff. I really enjoy seeing how you construct these masterpieces.

More I say,more!

May I add that it's good to see you popping in Graham :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Keep those pics coming ron, as in life - you can never have too much of a good thing! The stone work looks superb , almost as if youve laid every piece individually!! nice to see you making an appearance too graham! , cheers tony

F

Fenlander

Hi guys, really great to see that the standard has gone through the roof. Some great modelling guys.:respect4:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Wo hey! I've just logged in and look who's here......

Great to see you back Graham, and thanks for the very nice post..... I hope you're not just "Popping by" but staying here a while. I'm sure we would all like to see you back at the S.M. bench again......

Where have you been hiding?

Thanks for your very complimentary posts too chaps. It was just that I thought the build descriptions were getting a bit long winded......Glad you like the bridge too!

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Ron been watching this one quietly in the background, and you haven't been prattling on at all great work great photo's and an insperation too

F

Fenlander

Not been hiding anywhere Ron, just had my head down doing a load of stuff for other people to the point where I realised I was not having fun anymore. To that end, a couple of months ago I stopped doing stuff for others and have returned to doing what I want to do. Loads of 1:35 WWII German armour is in the offing so if anyone is interested, I can include some of it on here. Still no good at dioramas though, I still need to learn :abouttime:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ah, gotcha....I thought, wrongly, that you might have hung up the glue and rekindled you interest in photography or something. Good to read you've still at this modelling lark.

Yes, lets have a look at your builds, asap.

Cheers,

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I have a great imagination, however, sadly I lack everything else that is needed... ... and me!

Terry Pratchett summed this up much better than I can:

"Things that try to look like things often do look more like things than things".

Gern

PS Like they said Ron, please keep the pics and commentary going. There's loads of really good things happening in the modelling world - look at the pics that Rich sent in from Telford - and quite often we have no idea how things are/can be done. We have to rely on guys who can do it to show us how.

R

roconnell

Do keep the pics coming Ron, I too have been watching and always amazes me how you bring your builds together!

Graham - great to see your still around and hopefully will stay and share your builds? I always looked forward to your creations and seeing them and must say have missed them and often wondered what you are up to.

Cheers

Rich

T

treyzx10r

Ron ,I always enjoy your posts and the pics ,with all here please continue ! cheers Trey

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the posts boys....

I have as good as finished the lock stonework, I just need to add some detail to the gates, probably some bits and bobs and a bit more painting.

I've added the recesses for the lock gates and the stone 'side walks' These I made with plastic card. scoured to form the paving and glued to the base.

I owe it to the present Mrs. Ron for reminding me that I'd forgotten what she called 'The tramping treads'....The raised stone grips which she used to great effect when opening the locks...."Put your back into it, Girl"

I made the four of these from some scrap styrene, suitably engraved, then let into the surface of the base. I've deliberately left them a bit up and down to try and depict a bit of subsidence and wear.

I'm leaving the canal for a while and returning to the village buildings, adding a few sheds and generally trying to bring the village to life.

Here's the pictures of this stage. I hope you like them. Please excuse the wandering building!

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 55736

View attachment 55737

View attachment 55738

View attachment 55739

View attachment 55740

View attachment 55741

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 027.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 028.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 030.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 031.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 032.jpg

'Wait 'til he's on the bridge.' 034.jpg

B

backonthecase

Fantastic dio mate, and to have a canal instead of a river is an ace touch!!! Wee curveball there! lol

Cant wait to see this further!!

Stuart

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Some very nice detail there Ron, get the water sorted then i can go fishing mate lol.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the input Stuart and John.....

You know what John?....Stuff the buildings, I'm gonna have a crack at the watta! Then we can both go fishin' and pick fluff out of our navels while we wait for a bite!

Cheers,

Mr. Crabtree

B

backonthecase

Ron, don't forget to launch some poor beggar's bike in there too!

What are you using for the water? I've experimented with 2-part casting resin but very stinky and takes a while to set!

Looking forward to trying it again, I have a dio similar to this sketched out :smiling3:

Stuart

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the post Stuart. I've already made a Tesco trolley (circa1944!)

I always use ordinary, cheap household gloss varnish, simple as.....

Here's some pictures of the varnish in earlier dios I did here on S.M......Give it a try. I've noticed with that resin water, get the mix wrong and it gets hot and splits. No such worries with varnish, and everyone's got some in the shed!!

Let's all be having a look at your sketches pretty soon, eh?

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 55742

View attachment 55743

View attachment 55744

8475.jpg

8853.jpg

15100.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
superb ron as always bud looking like a film set...and how you doing on the other site sma...?

B

backonthecase

Excellent looking water Ron, how many layers was that?

I'm happy to show my (while bored at work) sketch, I will get a pic later

Stuart