Sword 1/72 EE Lightning T.4/5 - RAF Cold War Fighters part 2

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After the HobbyBoss Sabre - something more of a challenge:
DSCF2344.JPG
This is a short run model - no locating pins to be found! ( butt jointed tail! )DSCF2347.JPGDSCF2348.JPGDSCF2352.JPGDSCF2346.JPG
A large decal sheet, with loads of stencils ( A lot of which probably won't be used )
The detail is rather restrained......................DSCF2350.JPGDSCF2351.JPGDSCF2349.JPG
Resin Seats & Exhaust Nozzles ( I've got two AM pilots to inhabit the cockpit )
DSCF2353.JPG
PE fret
DSCF2355.JPG
You can make either the T.4 ( pointed tail ) or T.5 ( flat topped tail ). You get four decal variations:
DSCF2345.JPG
I always associate Lightnings with the silver finish, so it will be the T4 with either the black or blue spine & tail.
Dave

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
One of the best Jets to leave the runway.
lookforward to seeing her built!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Love the lightening, so will follow this with interest…..

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice looking bird.....that etch sure looks interesting.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Off we go - with short run kits you have to constantly dry fit bits to make sure that you've not trimmed too much material away - anyway - I have 2 am pilots ready to inhabit the cockpit - if I wanted to use the resin seats by themselves, I would have to add these............
DSCF2364.JPG
With using the pilots - I'll miss off those straps & only use the top plate & firing handles - bearing in mind, this is 1/72!
The intake cone & nosewheel housing is where you add weight to prevent tail sitting - no mention of how much!
DSCF2363.JPG
I've packed it with lead wire ( fly fishing stuff ), but I don't think that will be enough, so I'll be epoxying weight under the cockpit, behind the lower engine intake fan. No real locating points for the cone/wheel well, but it should line up with the fuselage opening for the undercarriage. The plastic is a little soft, almost soapy, so careful priming will be needed.
I've been looking at which paints to use - I've found an Vallejo Ultramarine Blue that looks like the 92 Squadron T4 spine/tail & I've just been doing some paint patches on my guinea pig ( Matchbox He 111 ) to see which silver I'm going to use - no decision so far!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A little more progress - the lack of positive locations for parts - especially the intake cone, makes thing a little iffy!
DSCF2366.JPG
I've added the PE to the ejector seats - I was going to use the figure-of-eight handles, but they were too small for me - so the ordinary handles were fitted
DSCF2367.JPG
The seats are a very snug fit into the cockpit tub, but I can fit them later in the assembly.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Beginning to take the shape of a Lightning.................
DSCF2369.JPG
As is the case in of a lot of short run models, I needed to fettle around the cockpit tub, to get the fuselage halves to join - trimming, dry fitting, trimming etc etc. ( I'd epoxied some more weights behind the cockpit tub)
The wings & elevators just needed a bit of tlc on the roots to give a good join. I'm going to leave this overnight to really set, then see what sort of clean up is needed when I remove the tape. It's been slow progress so far, but I've done the most difficult part of the assembly.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A real labor of love.
Paul,
it's the nature of short run models - if you want a model of a particularly obscure subject, then short run is often the only way to go - years ago, it was vac-form models, but that is now only used by a few die hard makers ( Welsh Models for one! ) . If you can make a good job of a normal kit, then a short run model shouldn't cause too much of a problem
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
I've never attempted a short run model - well I don't think so anyway. A lot of extra thought and work is needed but progress to date looks good.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave
I've never attempted a short run model - well I don't think so anyway. A lot of extra thought and work is needed but progress to date looks good.
Jim
Jim,
with short run models, you're just doing those bits that the mainstream makers include as standard - adding location tabs etc. They do take a bit more work, and a few additional bits in the tool box ( ie wire to strengthen wing attachments, plastic card to add tabs etc. ). I do have quite a few in the stash - like the Vickers Wellesley ( NOT the Matchbox version ), and the McDonnell Phantom I, and others that aren't available as mainstream models. I do like things that aren't that common!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A bit more work - and I find I'm in ready for priming the airframe black. I've painted the spine & tail blue
DSCF2370.JPG
I'll leave that to harden off overnight, then mask the cockpit, spine, tail & inlet area off, then a black spray primer coat, ready for the silver I associate with the Lightning.
Dave

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Gotta love these iconic Planes:cool:,
Coming along very nicely indeed there:thumb2:,
Andy

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dave well chosen kit of a plane that was far ahead of its time in my opinion as i used to go with me dad up raf coltishall an see the lightnings up close an in my opinion this one of the best plane the raf ever had an your model will look great in blue an silver as i loved them in the all silver metal finish an got some pics of the real T-4 or T-5 TAXING only about 50 ft or so away as i was at a close to perry track crashgate but looking forwards to seeing your model finished as it brings back wonderfull memeories but i thought it looked a bit weird when on later mark's they fitted bomb pylons an rockcet pods on the mark 6 F vershions i think they were an the upper wings fuel tanks
chris

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Dave.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
OK Silver sprayed, and mask removed
DSCF2373.JPG
I realised, far too late, that I should have masked off the anti-glare panel in front of the cockpit - oh well...........
The silver used was MiG Ammo 195. I'll put a coat of gloss varnish overall, tomorrow, in preparation for adding decals. The Blue fin is Vallejo 70.839 Ultramarine - it looks a little light, but a coat of varnish should darken it a little.
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OK Silver sprayed, and mask removed
View attachment 441333
I realised, far too late, that I should have masked off the anti-glare panel in front of the cockpit - oh well...........
The silver used was MiG Ammo 195. I'll put a coat of gloss varnish overall, tomorrow, in preparation for adding decals. The Blue fin is Vallejo 70.839 Ultramarine - it looks a little light, but a coat of varnish should darken it a little.
Dave

SHE'S lookin good

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I realised, far too late, that I should have masked off the anti-glare panel in front of the cockpit - oh well.....
Dave quote
cant you brush paint it matt black ?
chris