Sword 1/72 EE Lightning T.4/5 - RAF Cold War Fighters part 2

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nicely masked — always a surprise whether it works or if you pull half the paint underneath off with the tape, in my experience :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I realised, far too late, that I should have masked off the anti-glare panel in front of the cockpit - oh well.....
Dave quote
cant you brush paint it matt black ?
chris
Oh yes - but it's one thing that I shouldn't have needed to do - just not thinking far enough ahead!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nicely masked — always a surprise whether it works or if you pull half the paint underneath off with the tape, in my experience :smiling3:
Jakko,
oh yes, I always find myself holding my breath! - I do the normal things, wash with IPA, then prime, leave overnight before topcoating - but it's still an anxious moment! I still can't understand how some modellers don't prime, and mask successfully! :confounded:
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Masking looks to have gone well. As Jakko said it is always a worrying part of painting. You're right - lightning's need silver :thumb2:
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I still can't understand how some modellers don't prime, and mask successfully! :confounded:
I don’t normally prime my models :smiling3: But it also depends a lot on which paint you use: I think Tamiya adheres much better than Vallejo, for example, so you wouldn’t need to be as careful with the former than the latter.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
No pictures, sprayed gloss varnish! On the downside, I broke the rear canopy! - dropped it & when I was looking for it, I managed to put my size 11 on it. It may just be salvageable, but will probably have to be in the open position. Absolutely amazing, it dropped at my feet - but I trod on it fully a metre away! Fat fingers strikes again :sad:
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It never ceases to amaze me how far away dropped parts often end up from the point where you saw (or heard) it hit the ground. I hope your canopy is still usable :smiling3:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH Sorry to hear that Dave an it was goin so well in my opinion yes just stick the canopy in up position an fit decals an i think it will still look good
chris

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As always love your subject matter this one is comming along very nicely ,as you know I do a lot of small scale armour kits mostly from the Ukraine a lot of the stuff short run (though a lot of the companies are catching up with the modern world)but as you say its the subject matter that makes them interesting ,stuff the shake and bakers can only dream of ,a little bit of hard work never hurt anybody and when finished they give you a good sense of achievement ,looking forward to the conclusion of this one. Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As always love your subject matter this one is comming along very nicely ,as you know I do a lot of small scale armour kits mostly from the Ukraine a lot of the stuff short run (though a lot of the companies are catching up with the modern world)but as you say its the subject matter that makes them interesting ,stuff the shake and bakers can only dream of ,a little bit of hard work never hurt anybody and when finished they give you a good sense of achievement ,looking forward to the conclusion of this one. Dave
David,
you're right, some of the short run makers are beginning to push the Far East for detail, and the subject matter is becoming more & more diverse. It's true, models can be too easy to assemble, and something with a bit more of a challenge keeps me interested....................
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The major decals added.................
View attachment 441464View attachment 441465
I'm going to add the prominent stencils - like the ejector seat triangles & rescue arrows - but the smaller ones will stay on the sheet!
Dave
Cant you put the twin broken lines around the rear end of the jet enginges ? as ive never seen them put on any other aircraft an to me thats what sets the lingtning apart from other planes

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Dave there are a twin broken lines around just behind the tail where the fusalage comes apart an comes off for engine removeable as the engines lay on top of each other but to me that sets a lightning off but if you dont want to then ok but here a pic of my lightning broken lines but Dave i maybe to fussy dont take any notoice of me its just that the the lightning is dear to my heart an reminds me of my dad lifting the engines out with the big crane he used to drive
chris
IMG_6881.JPG
chris

Last edited:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
David,
you're right, some of the short run makers are beginning to push the Far East for detail, and the subject matter is becoming more & more diverse. It's true, models can be too easy to assemble, and something with a bit more of a challenge keeps me interested....................
Dave
If you enjoy a challenge mate try AFV Club's Bussing Nag - I have no fingernails or frontal lobe left as a result of being seduced by the box art and preliminary glimpse of the box contents! :tears-of-joy: :flushed:
Steve

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave there are a twin broken lines around just behind the tail where the fusalage comes apart an comes off for engine removeable as the engines lay on top of each other but to me that sets a lightning off but if you dont want to then ok but here a pic of my lightning broken lines but Dave i maybe to fussy dont take any notoice of me its just that the the lightning is dear to my heart an reminds me of my dad lifting the engines out with the big crane he used to drive
chris
View attachment 441471
chris
Ah, yes, there is a decal for that! The identifying numbers are so small, I need a magnifying glass to read them! Of course half the decal sheet has white lettering/lines to fit over the dark painted variants, so you have a lot of items to look through - the ID nos go up to 160! - often with multiple, small, identical, decals for each number .........
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
If you enjoy a challenge mate try AFV Club's Bussing Nag - I have no fingernails or frontal lobe left as a result of being seduced by the box art and preliminary glimpse of the box contents! :tears-of-joy: :flushed:
Steve
Steve,
I've never got on well with AFV Club models - I made the Vietnam Gun Truck, but never finished it, something about 40mm ammo cases - when it had .50 calibre machine guns. I still have a couple in the stash, the Duster & an AVRE Churchill, but they are a long way down on the to do list!
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN i think i like the T vershion better than the F vershion as thats what was mostly up at RAF COLTISHALL in the 60's as to me everything about this plane looks right an its just got better an better AN to see it take off even with ear plugs in wow an the ground shook when two took off togeather an you could feel the force of the engines rattle your rib cage wow what a plane an then go straight up like a rockect was magnifient
CHRIS