Tag Picture Quiz

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Greetings All,

Fantastic discussion about trailers going on here. Poor Tim is so excited that he's finally seen the mythical Bratwurstwagen, he probably won't sleep for a week! Jakko is getting into the Anhänger scene and amazed by how specific they can get and a chips or pommes wagen is it not Paul and Rick!!!

While waiting for Marty to appear and post, I will tease you with another pic. It shouldn't be too hard like the last one. So, without further ado,

What was the purpose of this vehicle???
IMG_1371.JPG
The first person to say it's an outdoor air conditioner gets slapped about the head and shoulders!!!!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Ok...First, we are just going to beat the heck out of Stevie, about the head and shoulders!!! Secondly, Rick was heading in the right direction (NOT), but has me busting a gut and Peter.....Bingo, but first, where in the heck did you get that photo Sir???

It is a Latil TL, built in 1934. It had 4 WD, 4 W steering, a 40 HP motor and towed the trailer. The trailer is as Peter said and the whole vehicle was an acoustic listening machine to hear incoming airplanes. You Gotta love the fold out off road tire help...

So where is Marty??? Peter my friend, you get the next shot until Marty gets parole Furlough....

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Cool Rick,

The proverbial Gut Truck as we called them in the colonies. I think every training area in Germany had one or two running around. Wherever you were or no matter how small your group of soldiers was, they found you. The also had loads of copies of that St Pauli mag......

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry Peter, I haven't the foggiest idea. It looks like a protective jacket and helmet made out of alligator or crocodile hide……….

D

Deleted member 6559

OK, it's my Christmas outfit....

And incidentally, shortly after I posted the above I went for a walk with the dog and saw our daily Spitfire:
Spitfire-Duxford-1.jpg It's a two seater MKIX flying out of Biggin Hill to Dover on an expensive 55 minute trip. Looked down, and found one of the oldest weapons I bet this sight has seen: 100_2356.JPG. A rather fine Mesolithic arrowhead, c.5000 BP.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Cool Rick,

The proverbial Gut Truck as we called them in the colonies. I think every training area in Germany had one or two running around. Wherever you were or no matter how small your group of soldiers was, they found you. The also had loads of copies of that St Pauli mag......

Yes. There was always a pile of mags like that in every barrack block I was billeted in.
I heard that there were even mobile brothels following the BAOR when on exercise across West Germany.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Jakko,

I have no clue what it could be...We are just killing time until Marty shows up with a puzzler. Do you know what it is Peter posted???

D

Deleted member 6559

Need to be a bit more specific chaps. It's made of crocodile skin, dates from a well known historical period, had a particular use and is on permanent display in a major European capital.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Is it Roman, and if so, is it something worn by the Signifer?

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Tim

Close enough. It's Roman, dates to the 3rd-4th century and was found at Manfaulut in Egypt. It was worn by a member of the Roman army who participated in rites associated with the worship of the Egyptian crocodile god, Sobek. The Roman army often appropriated the rites of any local gods that had a bit of macho appeal. This has been in the British Museum since 1846 and is on permanent display. I've loved it from the day I first saw it.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well that was a lucky guess . I went with your predilection for the ancient world and thought it looked a little like the wolf skins I’ve seen on signifer sculpts...
I’ll post something soon....
Cheers
Tim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
OK, relatively easy one.....
689D5119-82DE-42E9-A84D-4A1958D57C52.jpeg
What was this called, and how was it immortalised in popular British culture...