Tag Picture Quiz

D

Deleted member 6559

Well done Jakko - forgot to delete the file name!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s usually the first thing I look at when I don’t immediately recognise what’s in the picture :smiling3:

Right, let’s see if anyone knows what type of aeroplane this is:

aircraft.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I get the feeling this one is too difficult as well … Let’s try some clues: it’s Dutch, pre-war (which was probably obvious anyway), and made by a smaller manufacturer than Fokker :smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
if its dutch and not a fokker it must be a koolhoven of some kind?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yes, it’s a one-off, no, it’s not a prototype, and no, it’s not a Koolhoven.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I don't know much about aircraft but it looks very similar to a Tiger Moth around the engine so perhaps something from that stable?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Im struggling with this....can’t find any image like it. All the early Dutch stuff I find is either multi engine, Fokker, multi wing or high wing. It’s a great jazz age plane though.
Cheers
Tim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Kinda looks like a coop between Beechcraft and Messerschmitt. I love the aerodynamic spats on the landing gear!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Sorry, nothing even close so far :smiling3: It was made by a company better known for another type of craft entirely, which made a foray into aeroplanes in the 1930s.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lambach HL1? Fits the description but I can’t find a picture to confirm it.
Cheers
Tim

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
I can only think that this is the Scheldemeeuw PH-A TM with metal hull but can't find any pictures.
Jon.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
This appears to have been entered into an international trial/competition in 1937-8 where it was eliminated during the heats.Other than that who knows.Jakko can tell us all about it.
Jon.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s the one :smiling3: I didn’t really know anything about it either until I came across a photo in the picture archive of the Vlissingen council — more can be seen of it here (though note there’s also some there that are of different planes).

De Schelde (full name: Koninklijke Maatschappij De Schelde, “Royal Company The Scheldt”, or KMS), named after the river, built things like this:

and like this:

and this:

Those who’ve looked at this thread of mine may have seen the present-day photo — where it says “DAMEN” on the large building on the right in that, it used to say “SCHELDE” until the company was taken over by Damen. (The water in the photo is the river Scheldt.)

In the 1930s, the company decided that with the economic downturn, shipbuilding may not be as profitable, but aeroplanes did seem to be, so they purchased an aircraft design firm and (fairly unsuccessfully) tried to get into the aircraft market. The Second World War put a stop to that, basically, though during the war the company did make parts for German flying boats. In 1954, the aviation branch was taken over by Fokker.

Anyway, the S12 was apparently built as a business plane for one K. Geus van den Heuvel, hence the PH-KGH registration, in 1935, making its first flight in May that year. It was supposed to be a four-seater but apparently became too heavy due to construction mistakes and was considered a single-seater instead.

Over to you again, Jon :smiling3: