Tag Picture Quiz

D

Deleted member 6559

For cleaning the vent on a ( British?) Napoleonic cannon? Perhaps carried by the powder man?

D

Deleted member 6559

It's a pick and pan brush, part of a musket cleaning kit. The examples I've seen mostly seem to date from the ACW.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
That's the monkey.
Or whisk and pick. Carried ,theoretically,by anyone who carried a flintlock musket or rifle.
The whisk or brush was used to clear the residue from a fouled pan and the pick to clear a blocked touch hole.British troops usually had white leather rather than chain The central loop was to hang them over a handy button or strap,usually on the right side, for easy use after firing.You can make it out here.Waterloo4 (1).jpg

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
I haven't seen plates of these being carried by cavalry armed with carbines but may be someone has.
Your go Peter.
Jon.

D

Deleted member 6559

Glad I got that because the previous one drove me insane.

OK, what are these, what are they made of (need to be specific here,) and in what well known part of the country of origin were they made in. Clue - there's a St Ives connection

779489_-_photo_1_1439466901_img (1).jpg

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
In fact they're nowhere near as old as I thought.
These are Japanese type 4 ceramic fragmentation grenades.Made of white terra cotta and found on Okinawa near to a manufacturing plant.
They are not examples of the holy hand grenade of Antioch.
No idea where St. Ives comes into it.
Jon.

D

Deleted member 6559

Well done Jon. They are actually made of stoneware, and most were manufactured in the famous artisan kilns of Mashiko, where Bernard Leach trained with Shoji Hamada. The pair came to England and set up the St Ives Pottery in the 1930s. I recently saw some in an exhibition about how traditional Japanese arts and crafts had adapted to suit modern times at the Briitsh Museum.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Great info. Peter.What better way to pass today.We're batting the Aussies out of Trent Bridge and learning all sorts of things.
Here's a quickie.
Who's leading the charge?407508.jpg

D

Deleted member 6559

Is that Nolan about to get the top of his head knocked off?

D

Deleted member 6559

Actually, probably Cardigan (Charge of the Light Brigade).