Tamiya 1/32 F-16 (the big box )

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I've that to do on my Tomcat, though not the full length. I've a bit more confidence now.
Is that canopy gold tinted? Rather impressed to find one in a 1/48 F-16 on my shelf.
Hi Karl, yep it’s the tinted one, I used the same one on my 1/48 build. I really didn’t want to do it but watched a couple of videos then jumped right in

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
VERY nice work Mick you are a better moddler than me as i would not have the courage to do anything to the cockpit glass even though ive got two big kits upstairs an yes ive seen others on here do it with polish but not me id cock it up
chrisb

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks Andrew, I really need to make some progress but I keep getting distracted, one of those distractions today was how to get red paint into the little indents on the flare dispenser
Each to their own...... You have paint problems.....I have Mossie nose problems! ;) :smiling5:

Actually is one thing I have come to enjoy about this hobby.... You sometimes don't know where the research and like will take you!

Keep up the great work.

ATB.

Andrew

First Name
Dean
I have a soft spot for the F16- which is fortunate as they fly over the house almost every day at the moment! (sometimes very fast and quite low!)
Anyhow. I'm here for the long haul so be a good chap and put kettle on.
Large-scale aircraft modeller at work:

View attachment 455522
I absolutely love the f16, so economic, agile and all round beautiful, from the yf 16 to the f16 barracks, My favourite paint scheme has got to be tiger meet.
I’ve been itching to make a start on this one but I’ve signed up for the Mosquito GB next month. I’ve decided to at least start the thread and see what I can get done. Firstly it’s a big box with lots of parts and extras that came with it. I’ve added some 3D cockpit decals and replacement wheel bays. View attachment 455430
View attachment 455429
The inner lid is designed to hold the completed model if you’ve no display room. One of the parts boxes also doubles up as storage for the weapons which are interchangeable.
Now for the sprues
View attachment 455431View attachment 455432View attachment 455433View attachment 455434View attachment 455436View attachment 455437View attachment 455435

The kit came with two wheel options, the rubber ones in the kit and some AM weighted ones, not sure yet which I’ll use. The undercarriage is metal and there’s a nice metal nose weight to stop tail sitting. As you can see this is a BIG project for me so I don’t expect it to be finished quickly . Plenty of seats available and snacks will be provided for any rabble who drop by.

Attachments

• zaragoza-spain-may-special-painted-belgian-air-force-f-fighter-jet-taking-off-airbase-nato-tig...jpg
    zaragoza-spain-may-special-painted-belgian-air-force-f-fighter-jet-taking-off-airbase-nato-tig...jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 4

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I love all f16's from the yf 16 to the sufa, but my favourite paint scheme is
I must admit my liking for this aircraft started with the 1/48 build, I plan to build an IAF twin seater but not sure whether it will be before or after an F-15

Some great work Mick, and nice work on the canopy.
Thanks Ian, nearly screwed it up this morning when buffing it up using my Dremel, some fibres came of the pad and got melted on to the canopy. I just sat there stunned, more scraping and polishing have saved the day

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
VERY nice work Mick you are a better moddler than me as i would not have the courage to do anything to the cockpit glass even though ive got two big kits upstairs an yes ive sen others on here do it with polish but not me id cock it up
chrisb
Thanks Chris but I’m ok with plastic but your modelling skills are amazing
Each to their own...... You have paint problems.....I have Mossie nose problems! ;) :smiling5:

Actually is one thing I have come to enjoy about this hobby.... You sometimes don't know where the research and like will take you!

Keep up the great work.

ATB.

Andrew
You’re doing a great job Andrew, the joys of choosing something a little different
Lovely work Mick.

Yet another build to finally catch up with!
Thanks for checking it out Bob

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI again Mick well when i get round to building my two big jets they both have whoppin canopyies an i think there is a seem line down the centre so i may end up asking for you help on that on how an what polish to use
cheers
chrisb

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Details on top of details Mike. Superb. Canopy has polished nicely.
Thanks Jim, after a few silver strips to the canopy opening mechanism but it’s now detailed up
Mick, lovely work on the canopy.
Thanks Scottie, did panic when the dremel attacked it
HI again Mick well when i get round to building my two big jets they both have whoppin canopyies an i think there is a seem line down the centre so i may end up asking for you help on that on how an what polish to use
cheers
chrisb
No problem Chris

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Bit more progress, added some dust on the area under the rear canopy, judging by the pics I have the cleaners don’t crawl in there also put the spare canopy on, this will be masked up and used when painting. I’m modelling mine open so it won’t sit flat with the work I’ve done.
0BBC7887-3270-4007-835A-D2BE2405119F.jpeg
F73280F2-21A7-4DFA-BBCF-89CD3FD6CCB4.jpeg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I don't know if Dremel offer it anymore. but I bought their Motor Speed Control unit years ago and have never regretted it. you can slow it down to where you can count the revolutions......just won't get much done at that rate. ;)